Color Tone and Glaze 24 hr Warning - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 06-02-2011, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
Color Tone and Glaze 24 hr Warning

Ok do I'm doing a kitchen a yellow base Color Tone with an amber glaze. Usually not a problem, however I pushed my guys to get everything sprayed yellow yesterday before leaving. They did just what they were told. This however is where the problems begin. Two of my guys called out sick today and my full time finisher who's an older chap let the heat get to him and bailed at 3:00pm. So my question is I was always told you have 24 hours to glaze after spraying colortone. The thinking behind this is to not allow the colortone to fully cure so you get a good bond with the glaze. If you go over 24 hours you risk having the glaze just sitting on top then you top coat. A month after install you get a call stating the glaze is flaking off where your lovely customers fake nails touch around knobs. I stayed and somehow git everything glazed and ready for top coat tomorrow. What is your opinion on the 24 hour theory or do you think the glaze would reaclimate the colortone after 24 hours anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 AM

View Jim Tank's Photo Album My Photos
I always call the manufacturer's tech sevrice line for info on chemical makeup & compatability of topcoat with undercoat products, then run samples of different possibilities. Lables on the back of samples done at different times between coats, different amounts of glazes applied, different techniques, and whatever I can think of. Great way to spend a Saturday afternoon,huh? However, it gives me confidence of what finishes to offer and a great group of samples for future sales. It also gives me the opportunity to experiment with being creative and offer some custom finishes that are not offered anywhere else. I have found some of my most exotic looks when doing the most mundane testing of boring finishes, and have saved myself countless hours of redo work by checking things out for myself, instead of taking the word of a sales rep as gospel. People are also blown away to see the hundreds of finish samples I have accumulated over the years.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe born out of my reloading?

I keep notes,its that simple.Writing it down makes more of an impression.

+1 on call'n reps/tech and following printed "dirty paper".Some manufacturers have pretty well thought out websites going in to much more detail than whats handed out,"over the counter" so to speak.Alot of times their instructions are lip service to the Lawyers.Then go into the chemical/physical wherefores on the website.BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.

Last edited by BWSmith; 06-02-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

The 24hour warning is from my Rep. I called support which is excellent but they didn't get back to me before five that's why I stayed and glazed everything alone. The question is your thoughts and opinions on the 24hour rule.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Jim. I do my own samples, and I mark the backs with whatever was used, and any ratios. As for the 24 HR rule, it may be true depending on the brand of chemicals used, but I'll say that in 24hrs or less, the surface has skinned. Applying a coating on uncured finish will preclude it from curing properly. That in itself could be problematic. I have done applications while a finish was still fairly fresh to integrate it into the drying process.

post #6 of 7 Old 06-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
The chemical/physical bond is usually a specified period,duh.Afterwhich you need to wait awhile and sand.Its that period between these two events that gets me nervous.So,like you.......will either buck it up and keep gettin it,or wait a day or so and sand.BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-02-2011, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

I'm with you BW but colortone can't be sanded. Colortone is sprayed and glazed directly over without any sanding. If you sand the glaze grabs and is a disaster. I do this finish a lot but have never gone past there 24hour specifications. This is exactly what conestoga does on there doors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode