Carnauba wax finish? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 08-29-2015, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

View GISer3546's Photo Album My Photos
Carnauba wax finish?

Just ran across a vague mention of Carnauba was. I did a little research and found it is among the herdest natural waxes and gives a high gloss that dulls instead of flaking. Has anyone ever used this stuff it sounds interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-29-2015, 11:39 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Wax finishes are not very good for day to day use. The least little water gets on it and you have a water spot. Then for a long time it takes frequent application to keep up with it. It keeps soaking deeper and deeper into the wood and drying out at the surface and turning dull. You would be better off using some kind of an oil finish first and allow it to dry before using the wax finish. It still wouldn't offer much water protection but would be less work.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-30-2015, 01:37 AM

View bob sacamano's Photo Album My Photos
whats the difference between carnuba wax and johnsons paste wax ?

would you recommend it over the shellac finish i just sprayed ? the shellac is a bit rough to the touch. not rough per se but not silky smooth. would the wax help that ?

build it right or not at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-30-2015, 04:18 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I don't like wax on wood

Like Steve said for all those reasons. For small objects I use Boiled Linseed Oil BLO, or Watco Danish Oil.

For small boxes and chests I use either Rustoleum Satin lacquer in a rattle can, or Fast Dry Poly Satin by Min Wax. I made a small plug for a shovel handle and used 2 part Harbor Freight epoxy and it's beautiful. The epoxy was originally used to secure the plug which I turned in the lathe, but I just brushed it on all over and let it set. High gloss and smooth, easy on your hand when using the shovel.

Depends on what the application is as to what finish I use. For larger surfaces I break out the spray guns. I use Min Wax fast dry poly from a quart can for spraying cabinets and panels. You need a dust free space however, as it doesn't dry fast enough like lacquer.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-30-2015 at 04:22 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-30-2015, 04:56 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sacamano View Post
whats the difference between carnuba wax and johnsons paste wax ?

would you recommend it over the shellac finish i just sprayed ? the shellac is a bit rough to the touch. not rough per se but not silky smooth. would the wax help that ?
Caranuba is a type of wax, one of several commonly used. Its generally used where the hardness is needed for the extra durability, think car waxes. Johnsons paste wax is actually a blend of several different waxes, mostly caranuba and paraffin if memory serves, and some various solvents, again if memory serves correct.

As far as your case goes, yes, waxing would help with the slickness, but no, you don't need to go out of your way to get caranuba. Stick to a paste wax for furniture, like the aforementioned johnsons

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
bob sacamano (08-30-2015)
post #6 of 9 Old 08-30-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

I had only really heard wax finished in reference to bees or paste wax and wondered if carnauba was any different. I have mostly used danish oil but have also used regular dewaxed shellac flakes and dye.

bob - I find I get a smoother finish with shellac when I use a much more diluted shellac solution and apply a few coats with some light high grit sanding between. I could be wrong but my best results were with a 1 lb cut where the 3 lb is most common among store bought stuff. Also be sure to give plenty of time for drying.
The Following User Says Thank You to GISer3546 For This Useful Post:
Al B Thayer (08-30-2015)
post #7 of 9 Old 08-30-2015, 02:10 PM

View Epos7's Photo Album My Photos
I use a mixture of beeswax, mineral oil, and carnauba wax for finishing end-grain cutting boards, as it is food safe. I find the carnauba wax adds a little extra durability over just beeswax and mineral oil.

Clapham's salad bowl finish is the product I use.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Carnauba wax finish?

Good to see we are posting about finishes other than poly. I've got a coaster finished with shellac and wax. I like to post pictures of when the subject comes up. It gets a wet cup of ice cold Coke on it almost every night. The protection is there and it hasn't stained it yet. Carnauba wax finish?-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1440962070.822711.jpg

Walnut too. I put an ugly rim around it to catch every drop.

I've been finishing wood with a coat of wax since the early 60s. So for all you wax lovers out there, WAXON BABY!

Al

post #9 of 9 Old 08-30-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Thank i think ill be trying carnauba on my shellac on some future projects.
The Following User Says Thank You to GISer3546 For This Useful Post:
Al B Thayer (08-31-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode