Woodworking Talk banner

Can I lighten the color of a Minwax stain?

115K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Hammer1 
#1 ·
Hi,
Found your forum with an internet search and thought I'd ask for some advice on Minwax stains. I bought a gallon can of the Minwax Dark Walnut to use on the stairs and landscaping ties in the backyard. The color on the can did not look as dark as what happened when it went on the wood. It is much too dark, but I spent over $30 for the can. Rather than have to buy a lighter color, is there anything I can add to the Dark Walnut to lighten it up a little? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Yes, if it is the solvent based stain you can lighten it by thinning it with mineral spirits. It won't change the tone, just lightens it. If you need to change the tone also you would need to intermix it with another color of minwax stain. If it is a water based stain then thin with water.

#4 ·

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience, occupation, or if retired…from what, or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions. In doing that your location will show under your username when you post.

You could mix it with a light colored Minwax stain, or with Minwax 'Natural'. Pick up the small cans to do your experimenting.

#6 ·
You could also mix it with boiled linseed oil which will also help with the outdoor protection. That's if it is an oil based stain.

#8 ·
Only the Minwax gel stain can be used outdoors, if, it's covered with a protective varnish. Not really recommended to use any Minwax stain for exterior work. Once a stain has been applied to bare wood, it's very difficult to remove. Washing down with mineral spirits/paint thinner, might wash off a little on smooth surfaces. Rough surfaces like a landscape tie, good luck. You should have used a transparent exterior deck stain made for exterior exposure, no top coat needed. Always do a sample before you commit to the project. There may be no going back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.