Can anyone recommend a fast drying, durable hardwood floor finish? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 07-26-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
600 Grit

View Andrew LB's Photo Album My Photos
Can anyone recommend a fast drying, durable hardwood floor finish?

A friend of mine is refinishing their hardwood floors and asked me about fast drying finishes that are durable. The bulk of my wood finishing experience is with far less durable oil finishes because I refinish firearms and traditional finishes for antique furniture like Shellac. The only modern stuff that I have experience with is pre-cat urethanes which are great for table tops.

I know that the big-box stores sell gallons of either minwax or rustoleum (varathane) poly but most of those are water based, and my experience with the oil based is they take forever to dry. I make my own wipe-on poly by mixing Varathane oil based poly with Naptha to speed drying time and even then it takes too long.

The best candidate I found is a finish from Minwax called "Super Fast-Drying" Polyurethane floor finish, but I have a feeling it's banned here in California.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-26-2015, 07:01 PM

View RandyReed's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
A friend of mine is refinishing their hardwood floors and asked me about fast drying finishes that are durable. The bulk of my wood finishing experience is with far less durable oil finishes because I refinish firearms and traditional finishes for antique furniture like Shellac. The only modern stuff that I have experience with is pre-cat urethanes which are great for table tops.

I know that the big-box stores sell gallons of either minwax or rustoleum (varathane) poly but most of those are water based, and my experience with the oil based is they take forever to dry. I make my own wipe-on poly by mixing Varathane oil based poly with Naptha to speed drying time and even then it takes too long.

The best candidate I found is a finish from Minwax called "Super Fast-Drying" Polyurethane floor finish, but I have a feeling it's banned here in California.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Varathane Premium Oil-Based Clear Floor Finish. You can also get a low VOC version available in CA.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-26-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
600 Grit

View Andrew LB's Photo Album My Photos
I just finished doing some research and came across a product made by one of my favorites, General Finishes. They sell a 2-part Urethane/Acrylic floor finish called "Pro Shield". The dry time is only 2-3 hours between coats and you can comfortably walk on it with socks after 6 hours. Only 3 days are required to put furniture back on it. That's pretty amazing if you ask me. It's a professional grade product so i'll probably have to get it through a friend if they don't carry it at Austin Hardwoods & Hardware in Santa Ana (i think i saw this product there last week).

Any opinions on this product? On General Finishes site they say it was used on North Iowa Universities main basketball NCAA court. Anything that could hold up to that kind of abuse has got to be good. It does come at a price though. $70/gallon for stain and $110/gallon for the 2-part top coat. ouch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-26-2015, 10:15 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I had pretty good luck with the Varathane water based floor finish. It took three coats but I was able to put two of the coats on in one day and did the last the next day.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-28-2015, 10:55 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
I like the water borne finishes also. They dry fast, easy to apply using a lambs wool pad. I usually apply 4-5 coats to get a good build.
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 9 Old 07-29-2015, 01:09 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
We laid, sanded, and finished 5,000 sf of hickory hardwood. I can't remember what we finished it with. I will find out tomorrow.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-30-2015, 11:02 PM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Here is what we used. Can anyone recommend a fast drying, durable hardwood floor finish?-imageuploadedbywood-working-talk1438308114.754408.jpg
post #8 of 9 Old 07-31-2015, 04:13 AM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
Recomending the Minwax floor finish to a friend is a good way to lose a friend!!!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-31-2015, 09:22 AM

View michaelpugh's Photo Album My Photos
I've used the varathene from lowes and we liked it a lot. As stated above we did three layers. Two the first day and the third the next morning. Our floors turned out great.

wish I had a cool line like everyone else...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode