Buckey Burl Finishing - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-24-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

View devindjo's Photo Album My Photos
Question Buckey Burl Finishing

Hey Guys!

So I am deciding to take on a project and make a slab wood table out of a nice piece of Buckeye Burl. The slab is unfinished and I am having trouble figuring out the best way to go about this. Any help is appreciated and because I am new to all this could you please spell out all steps clearly, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-24-2014, 03:45 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You will probably want a finish that is non-yellowing. Many oil based finishes will yellow as they age. I would probably finish it with a pre-catalyzed lacquer finish. This is something that needs to be sprayed though. If you don't have the means of spraying the finish you could use a water based wipe on polyurethane.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-24-2014, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

I found somewhere that suggested I use a coat of lacquer sealant and then 4 coats of gloss lacquer with a final coat of semi-gloss. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-24-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devindjo View Post
I found somewhere that suggested I use a coat of lacquer sealant and then 4 coats of gloss lacquer with a final coat of semi-gloss. What are your thoughts?
It depends on the lacquer. Most of it on store shelves is a type called nitrocellulose. It is made from cotton fibers and is prone to yellow like varnish. The pre-catalyzed lacquer is made from acrylic resins and will remain clear. With a pre-catalyzed lacquer you use a vinyl sealer instead of lacquer sanding sealer.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-25-2014, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
It depends on the lacquer. Most of it on store shelves is a type called nitrocellulose. It is made from cotton fibers and is prone to yellow like varnish. The pre-catalyzed lacquer is made from acrylic resins and will remain clear. With a pre-catalyzed lacquer you use a vinyl sealer instead of lacquer sanding sealer.
OK, with that said I think I will go with your original suggestion of a wipe on poly. Would you suggest with this to apply and do a wet sand with the first coat use ~500 grit paper or do you think just wipe on. Also how many coats would you suggest and what grit should I sand to in between coats?
post #6 of 6 Old 06-25-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devindjo View Post
OK, with that said I think I will go with your original suggestion of a wipe on poly. Would you suggest with this to apply and do a wet sand with the first coat use ~500 grit paper or do you think just wipe on. Also how many coats would you suggest and what grit should I sand to in between coats?
Just keep in mind that wipe on finishes are watered down so a general rule is three coats equal one of the brush on. This means go very easy with sanding at first until you get enough finish on. I wouldn't even sand the first coat unless you had to.

Depending on the brand and how thick it is per coat it will probably take six coats. A better method would be to keep applying finish until the finish is about 3 mils thick which is about the thickness of a lawn and leaf trash bag.

Tags
buckeye, burl, finishing, slab, table

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode