Brush on acrylic lacquer; 2nd coat issues - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-06-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

View TaleSspin's Photo Album My Photos
Brush on acrylic lacquer; 2nd coat issues

Just trying to refinish the table top on a cheap old table we have sitting around. I figured I'd use some left over SW CAB-Acrylic Lacquer I used previously, only before I had sprayed it with great results. I don't have a compressor anymore and I figured I'd just brush or wipe it on. This was apparently a poor choice. The first coat went on great, leveled out fine. Second coat - bad news. As soon as I took a stroke with the brush it seemed to gum up; lots of drag on the surface and dried quickly and ugly. See attached picture, right edge.

My guess is that it is solving the base coat as I put on the new one and the brush is just gumming up with the partially solved base coat? I'm using a cheap synthetic bristle brush, hopefully the solvent isn't dissolving the bristles, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Don't know if I should add more thinner to the product so it flows quicker and reduces physical contact time with the surface, or if that will just dissolve the base coat even quicker, exacerbating the problem.

Suggestions on what I can do at this point would be appreciated! (Can I just put poly over lacquer at this point too?)
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-06-2015, 07:57 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Oh boy, your easiest solution would be to get a compressor. That finish really needs to be sprayed. If you are intent on brushing it you need to add some retarder thinner to the lacquer. Then use as soft of a brush as you can find and apply the finish with as few strokes as possible. You will never get it looking good by brushing it alone. You would have to build a thick enough finish that you can hand rub it out when you get done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
TaleSspin (12-06-2015)
post #3 of 5 Old 12-06-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

View TaleSspin's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Oh boy, your easiest solution would be to get a compressor. That finish really needs to be sprayed. If you are intent on brushing it you need to add some retarder thinner to the lacquer. Then use as soft of a brush as you can find and apply the finish with as few strokes as possible. You will never get it looking good by brushing it alone. You would have to build a thick enough finish that you can hand rub it out when you get done.
Hah...ya...figured. I'll probably skip tracking down/buying any retarder, since I'd never come close to using it all and don't want to store it until I die. Looks like I'll have to find a compressor to borrow. Ah well, live and learn! It'll look fine after some sanding and spraying.

Thank you, Steve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-06-2015, 11:53 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like a job for a rattlecan to me, unless youre dead-set on using up that can of lacquer. If thats the case, i believe they make re-fillable spray cans

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9-...-267/202533738

Yup, they do

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #5 of 5 Old 12-07-2015, 12:05 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaleSspin View Post
Hah...ya...figured. I'll probably skip tracking down/buying any retarder, since I'd never come close to using it all and don't want to store it until I die. Looks like I'll have to find a compressor to borrow. Ah well, live and learn! It'll look fine after some sanding and spraying.

Thank you, Steve.
A compressor is really the best answer. The retarder thinner has other uses though. With lacquer in really hot weather it dried too fast and on large projects it dries so fast it's difficult to keep from getting lap lines. Also when the humidity is up a bit retarder thinner slows the drying time down to where it lets the moisture out of the finish. It otherwise would get milky looking from having water trapped in the finish. This is really the main reason to keep retarder. I just though it would help you brushing it. This is really the only difference between brushing lacquer and regular lacquer.

How can you do woodworking without a compressor anyway?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode