Bonding Aluminum to plywood and/or veneers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

View kinghong1970's Photo Album My Photos
Bonding Aluminum to plywood and/or veneers

Hello folks...

got 2 questions regarding aluminum and wood.
now they are not the usual 2 items glued together but my project requires that they be fixed.

first project is a 60" x 26" surface that i need 1/8" thick aluminum 3003 glued onto a 1/2" mdf core or veneer core plywood.

i've read folks having some success using epoxy to a well prepared and etched aluminum surface... but my concern is their different reaction to temperature changes.

the flat surface will be kept in my basement, at stable <50% humidity... and temperature is pretty constant throughout the year.

the 60x26" sheet will also be fastened to a table top using countersink machine screws at 12" x 12" intervals.

so, should i just forego the gluing or instead of epoxy, use something more flexible such as contact cement?

secondly, i have some paper backed veneers that need to be fixed onto aluminum sheets that are <1/8" thick. should i also bypass the epoxy here?

all applications are for indoor products.

thank you in advance for your replies.

Al.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-11-2012, 09:41 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
I have not tried this, so I can only offer an opinion.

Gluing to metal is best done with epoxy. Scuff the metal surface to allow more contact. Clean the surface first with acetone.

The veneer will attach well to the epoxy.

Contact cement will initially work, but dries out over time.

In my house, I interited a countertop which was formica attached to particle board with contact cement.

A few years after we purchased the house the formica started to lift.

I took the countertop apart and the contact cement was dry and dusty in spots.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
Hello folks...

got 2 questions regarding aluminum and wood.
now they are not the usual 2 items glued together but my project requires that they be fixed.

first project is a 60" x 26" surface that i need 1/8" thick aluminum 3003 glued onto a 1/2" mdf core or veneer core plywood.

i've read folks having some success using epoxy to a well prepared and etched aluminum surface... but my concern is their different reaction to temperature changes.

the flat surface will be kept in my basement, at stable <50% humidity... and temperature is pretty constant throughout the year.

the 60x26" sheet will also be fastened to a table top using countersink machine screws at 12" x 12" intervals.

so, should i just forego the gluing or instead of epoxy, use something more flexible such as contact cement?

secondly, i have some paper backed veneers that need to be fixed onto aluminum sheets that are <1/8" thick. should i also bypass the epoxy here?

all applications are for indoor products.

thank you in advance for your replies.

Al.
I would use solvent based contact cement in both cases.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-11-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

View kinghong1970's Photo Album My Photos
thank you both for the replies.

Cabinetman,

in using solvent based contact cement, this would allow for difference in expansion if any?

i recall some veneer come with adhesive film on the backside... would this not be enough if i opt to buy it in this form?
post #5 of 8 Old 10-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
thank you both for the replies.

Cabinetman,

in using solvent based contact cement, this would allow for difference in expansion if any?

i recall some veneer come with adhesive film on the backside... would this not be enough if i opt to buy it in this form?
You may pay more for it. I would prefer contact cement over PSA. I would not use epoxy. I recommend contact cement for paper backed veneer, and for those materials expansion/contraction isn't an issue.

post #6 of 8 Old 10-12-2012, 12:18 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I also would use contact cement. I would clean the aluminum with lacquer thinner prior to gluing it. Aluminum secretes an oil and is why if you handle it a lot it turns your hands black. Cleaning the oil off will make for better adhesion.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
For the table top I would just forgo the glue. It will serve no purpose since the whole thing is being screwed to the support.

George
post #8 of 8 Old 10-12-2012, 06:53 PM

View Huey's Photo Album My Photos
Hi All,
I would be going for the contact cement / glue cabinet maker strength like they use for doing their benech tops with. Clean and apply to both surfaces it bonds quite well. The reason I know is I am a glazier and deal with a lot of aluminium sections and flat sheet.
Good Luck
Sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode