Blotchy CVG Doug Fir windows - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 02-21-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

View MKinSoCal's Photo Album My Photos
Unhappy Blotchy CVG Doug Fir windows

Recently replaced the windows in my home with beautiful CVG Doug Fir interiors. Decided to trim and stain myself, an unfortunate decision based on economics :( Getting a lot of blotching with stain, more on trim than windows. Also the grain on the CVG trim is very noticeable. Manufacturer directions are to sand with 100 grit, use pre-stain conditioner, then stain and seal. I am using Minwax products, stain is Wood Finish English Chestnut 233. All of the windows have one coat but most of the trim wood is still raw. Any suggestions on what I need to do to even out the stain and now get any more? I intend to finish with lacquer and am buying an HVLP sprayer today. Many thanks.

Last edited by MKinSoCal; 02-21-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-21-2012, 05:37 PM

View chemmy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKinSoCal View Post
Recently replaced the windows in my home with beautiful CVG Doug Fir interiors. Decided to trim and stain myself, an unfortunate decision based on economics :( Getting a lot of blotching with stain, more on trim than windows. Also the grain on the CVG trim is very noticeable. Manufacturer directions are to sand with 100 grit, use pre-stain conditioner, then stain and seal. I am using Minwax products, stain is Wood Finish English Chestnut 233. Any suggestions on what I need to do to even out the stain? I intend to finish with lacquer and am buying an HVLP sprayer today. Many thanks.
Love lacquer, but for this i would use poly, minwax spar urethane so it will not fade or oxidize quicky like it will with lacquer ok? unless no sun is hitting the pieces??

should go to 150 grit - 100/120/150 that will help the blotchyness better, if it were me i would thin the poly down 9 parts Mineral spirits to 1 part poly and use that as the conditioner, keep in mind conditioners are fairly new, before that either glue or the finish itself was put on thin to do the same thing ok?

Do some samples first dont do it on the windows or moldings, use back of moldings to test with ok?

Tags
blotch stain douglas fir

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode