Woodworking Talk banner

Black Walnut Finish

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  nxtgeneration 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I’m working on a simple shelf for a half bathroom (aka no moisture) out of black walnut with a love edge. It’s a great looking piece of wood and want to finish it in a way to really bring out the color of the wood and grain. . I’ve heard tung oil is a good finish to use but wanted to see what everyone thought.

So what do you guys think? Is tung oil a good choice or would you recommend something else?

Thanks!

#3 ·
I've been using some Heritage Natural Finishes ....they are a oil based product and are easy to apply and also to update or add to later. Here's a thread of mine with a link showing things mostly finished with this finish... https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/projects-lol-200473/

Good luck and show us some pics!!!

#4 ·
There is nothing wrong with a tung oil finish so long as you are patient applying it. Tung oil dries really slow. It may take as much as a week for a coat to dry before applying another coat. The best way to tell when a coat of tung oil is dry is to briskly rub the finish with a clean dry cloth and see if the tung oil smell rubs off on the rag. When there is no smell it's ready.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.