Behr Premium Plus Paint - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 11-05-2011, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

View djonesax's Photo Album My Photos
Behr Premium Plus Paint

Anyone have any advise for painting with Behr Premium Plus Semi-Gloss paint? Because I am about ready to tear this project to pieces... It's the stuff works as a primer as well.

Its so thick that it starts to dry before I can get a 15" by 32" area painted. I have tried rolling it with different types of rollers and nothing looks right. It looks patchy and leaves roller marks all over the place despite my best efforts to smooth them out. I even tried brushing it but it dries so fast that I have to over load it with paint just to get a smooth brush stroke.

Any ideas?

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I've used that paint, and it takes a few coats to get good coverage. I don't load it up. If rolled or brushed, just an average a mount.

post #3 of 6 Old 11-05-2011, 03:31 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Behr does a lot of advertising and convinces folks that it's a great paint, it's not. It is inexpensive and you can get it on a Friday night or Sunday morning. I'm using some of their exterior premium plus and have no complaints but it is a two coat minimum paint. The exterior gives you plenty of time. I have used some interior acrylics that are like marshmallow fluff. My painter friend likes to say, you have to be a good painter to use the stuff, forget it if you are an amateur.

There can be a lot to painting. The type of brush you use, how you load it, what angle you hold it at to apply and what angle you tip off with. A brush can be similar to a trowel. Purdy is now listing their brushes as soft, firm, etc. With a thick paint, you may want a stiffer brush. Still, it's a matter of laying down, blending and tipping off with a minimum of strokes, you can't overwork it or go back.

I'm doing some interior paneled doors with an oil based that tacks quickly, I'm using a brush in the corners and a paint pad for the rest. I'm getting great results, no marks, even application and it's real fast, although, you go very slow with the pad. The throw away styrofoam ones are less than $3, try one of those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-05-2011, 11:57 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Try adding some Floetrol from Flood. It will extend your working time. Also thin a little with some water of your not already. And oh yeah, buy better paint. Nothing but Benjamin Moore used here.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #5 of 6 Old 11-06-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory
Try adding some Floetrol from Flood. It will extend your working time. Also thin a little with some water of your not already. And oh yeah, buy better paint. Nothing but Benjamin Moore used here.
What is the best paint for furniture? Benjamin Moore? If you guys were me would you have brushed, rolled, padded, or sprayed? Its a book shelf so the surfaces are mostly flat. I don't paint much but when I do I use spray cans. This project was too big for cans I felt. When I do lacquer or poly, I also spray it but use a gravity feed gun.

David
post #6 of 6 Old 11-06-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer1
Behr does a lot of advertising and convinces folks that it's a great paint, it's not. It is inexpensive and you can get it on a Friday night or Sunday morning. I'm using some of their exterior premium plus and have no complaints but it is a two coat minimum paint. The exterior gives you plenty of time. I have used some interior acrylics that are like marshmallow fluff. My painter friend likes to say, you have to be a good painter to use the stuff, forget it if you are an amateur.

There can be a lot to painting. The type of brush you use, how you load it, what angle you hold it at to apply and what angle you tip off with. A brush can be similar to a trowel. Purdy is now listing their brushes as soft, firm, etc. With a thick paint, you may want a stiffer brush. Still, it's a matter of laying down, blending and tipping off with a minimum of strokes, you can't overwork it or go back.

I'm doing some interior paneled doors with an oil based that tacks quickly, I'm using a brush in the corners and a paint pad for the rest. I'm getting great results, no marks, even application and it's real fast, although, you go very slow with the pad. The throw away styrofoam ones are less than $3, try one of those.
Thanks for the tips. I may try a pad next time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode