Badger brushes question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
Badger brushes question

They are good, expensive, and worth the price.
How are you party animals caring for them? I clean 'em well and keep 'em in a protective cover.
Is there a needed care process to keep the bristles soft between uses?
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-10-2012, 02:18 PM
need more tools

View cgarritsen's Photo Album My Photos
ive used a brush comb and it it seems to help with my cheaper brushes i use, and i always hang
post #3 of 4 Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
While I'm not sure...I don't think so. The ones I use for varnish last a good long time with only the cleaning and protective cover.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 PM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
What keeps bristles supple during storage is proper cleaning of the brush after use. If the brush bristles become stiff, it means that there was still finish in the bristles when you stored it.

Here's the proper brush cleaning process:

First, the best way to make a brush easier to clean is to dip the bristles into mineral spirits before you start to use the finish. This will prevent finish from getting up into the ferrule.

For cleaning, use a big 3# coffee can. I pour in some mineral spirits and work the brush in it until is is as clean as you can get it. Then twirl the brush handle between your hands to remove the cleaner. Then pour the cleaner into a smaller 1# coffee can. Now pour some more mineral spirits into the large can, work the brush, twirl it and pour the cleaner into a second small 1# coffee can. Cover both coffee cans. The solids will settle out and the next time just pour off the liquid from the first can you used into the large can for the first rinse, then pour off the liquid from the second can for the second rinse and so on. When the first rinse can gets too full of solids, pour off the remaining liquid into can #2 and add some kitty litter and discard the coffee can with the solids. Can #2 now becomes can #1 and you start a new can #2 with fresh mineral spirits. This way you never have to discard mineral spirits.

I final clean my brushes with water rinsable brush cleaner--which I save also--followed by liquid dishwashing detergent. Use warm water, not hot. Shake them as dry as possible and brush them back and forth on paper towels, then wrap in brown paper, fold it over t0 shape the chisel end of the bristles and hold with a rubber band.

You should never have to throw out mineral spirits and your brushes will be soft as new when you go to use them again.

If the bristles are stiff when you go to use the brush later, just put the brush into the brush cleaner for a few minutes and it will be soft as new. Shake out the brush cleaner and work the brush in a little mineral spirits to remove the brush cleaner before using the brush.

Howie..........
The Following User Says Thank You to HowardAcheson For This Useful Post:
Tommie Hockett (10-11-2012)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode