Arm-R-Seal Advice Wanted - Review My Plans, Please!
I am building a shelf set from maple, with a baltic birch back panel. It was designed and built like a small bookshelf with a back panel. It will hang on the wall. I have a can of Arm-R-Seal satin finish, which I plan to use for the finish.
The shelf set has multiple horizontal shelves glued into dados on each side board. The side boards have 1/4 inch rabbets in the back, to fit the baltic birch back panel. The backs of the shelves are 1/4 inch short to accommodate the back panel. I plan to glue the back panel to the rear edges of the shelves and the rabbets on the sides. Right now, the shelves are glued up, but the back panel is still separate, to make finishing easier.
PLANS - PLEASE REVIEW AND COMMENT - I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR EXPERIENCE AND ADVICE! Thanks!
* The maple shelves and sides were sanded through the grits to 150 grit before glue-up. They feel very smooth. The glue-up is done, and the squeeze-out has been cleaned up.
To Be Done:
* Sand the baltic birch back panel through the grits to 150 grit.
* Mark the areas of the back panel where the shelves and rabbets will be glued to it.
* Use blue tape to cover the marked areas, to prevent the finish from touching the wood where the glue will go.
* Use blue tape to cover the rabbets and shelf backs where the glue will go.
* Apply Arm-R-Seal finish to the shelf set and both sides of the separate back panel.
* Wipe on the Arm-R-Seal finish to the sanded wood and baltic birch with clean T-shirt rags, then wipe off, then allow it to dry for 48 hours.
* After the first and second coats, sand lightly with gray 3m abrasive pads (like 0000 steel wool).
* Wipe on the third coat of Arm-R-Seal and wipe it off. Allow it to dry for 72 hours.
* Remove the blue tape.
* Glue and clamp the back panel to the shelf set. Allow the glue to cure.
* Wait 14 days for the Arm-R-Seal to cure. They say "7-10 days for light use, 30 days for full cure."
* Hang it on the wall.
This is the first time I have tried Arm-R-Seal, and don't want to mess up all the hard work that went into building the shelves.
-> Will the blue tape work?
-> Am I doing it "right"?