Applying WB polyurethane: poplar and birch ply - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 06-12-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

View strolgen's Photo Album My Photos
Applying WB polyurethane: poplar and birch ply

I bought a can of WB poly (Zinsser) as my final finish for my first project . See album in my profile. I used a 50-50 Shellac (not sure if it dewaxed- I can't find the information on the can ) - denature alcohol as my stained method; work out nicely and to my liking.

Acccording to the user guide on the WB poly can:
- apply thin coat
- sand with 320 grit paper between coats
- apply min 3-4 coats

Since this is the first time I apply this product, i was wondering what is "thin coat"? Is it supposed to still look like milky or should it be thinner ( I'm acutally on the thin side ). I tried sanding with 320P grit but it seems to me this is too rough and kind of give some sanding mark even though I'm being very light on the pressure side. I don't see any mark on the subsenquent coats of poly though. Should I go with a thin grit like 600P? I apply the poly with a "rag" (it actullay a glove used to apply the poly on flooring)

Any recommandations/ advices will be appreciated !?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
WB poly works out best if sprayed. If you are wiping it and it's milky, it's too thick. It will clear out over time...several hours. Using 320x should be adequate in between coats. Let it dry well before reapplying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode