applying finishes in the heat - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 06-28-2020, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
applying finishes in the heat

now that Summer is upon us, what part of the world
do you live in and what are the biggest issues you face
when building projects and applying finishes and how do you
adapt - improvise and overcome to achieve a satisfactory project ?

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-29-2020, 08:13 PM

View faith michel's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL View Post

do you live in
I live izmir/TURKEY...
what are the biggest issues you face
when building projects and applying finishes
My problem is my old air compressor doesnt work.. i think it is dead.. i guess i need a new air compressor. .. My second problem is Everythings (varnish resin brush.....etc) prices minimum %40 changed.. They are cheap before pandemi ..They are very expensive now..
I use brush about my first problem.. i have to save my money for a new air compressor..
I am waiting 2023 for new election about my second problem ...

SM-J700F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
post #3 of 11 Old 06-29-2020, 11:44 PM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL View Post

SW Michigan...biggest issue is the new hours that stores have adopted make it very inconvenient to be able to get products before or after work. Usually it requires a trip during a lunch break and I normally don't take breaks.

As for finishing projects...air conditioners, dehumidifiers, and staying out of direct sunlight seem to do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 12:38 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
Gluing is the big problem.
In 40c (104F) ordinary pva glue becomes superglue. Instant set, no adjustments.
Titebond 111 works well though, actually getting runnier so I have to be careful stuff doesnt slide about.

Shellac dries as its being applied. The good part of that though is I can get three coats on in two minutes flat.
I dont bother with wipe on poly in these temps.

But once the workshop gets that hot I cant stay in for more than a quarter hour at a time. Its a small single car garage and I work with the roll up door open.

SunnyBob
my projects can be viewed here
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/bob...dwork_projects
post #5 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 07:30 AM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
Went it gets real hot my problem is with poly it dries before it self levels, so I adjust when I do it (early AM/late PM). Here in CT we don't get super hot but hot enough, I do have to run a dehumidifier in the shop otherwise I limit my time to 1/2 hour otherwise I'm dripping sweat all over the wood and glasses.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-30-2020, 10:28 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Great question, John!

I live in the SE US, what I call the "swamp zone" (in fact, as the crow flies, I'm only about 10 miles from the Okefenokee Swamp :-).

Painting and finishing are both major issues during the summer some related to humidity (oil based paint, finish) some related to heat (shellac, shellac based primers). As a result I won't even consider spraying oil based finishes, that said, I've pretty much switched over to water base only.

With shellac and shellac based primer, I don't even try to spray that, either. If I do one brush stroke and never go back I'm ok, because it will tack almost immediately.

BTW the heat index is predicted to be 110 today......Glad I have an air conditioned bench room to work in !!

Robert
post #7 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 03:14 AM

View rbspraypainting's Photo Album My Photos
Spraying in hot and humid weather

I'm in Dallas, Tx and it's more like Louisiana here just now.... I'm in the middle of doing a refurb on a bed frame for our guest room that I bought for next to nothing. It was stained to start with, and a hot mess with splinters, stickers, dings and wear. So far, I've sanded it down, primed it and sprayed it with two coats of General Finishes Lamp Black paint. Looking really good, but the finish is just too flat. Was planning to spray a couple of coats of General Finishes High Performance Satin top coat to give it a bit higher sheen and some more protection, but then the weather turned so miserable that I've pretty much abandoned the project until the fall.

I've painted a ton of stuff, but this is my first spray project, and I'm just too worried about jacking up the good work so far by moving ahead in this crazy heat/humidity. Anybody with contrary advise, please share....
post #8 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 10:38 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
rb, where I'm at, I can get by with waterbased top coats in the summer, but I wait till we get a 94+° day as the humidity will drop as low as 50-60%.

Robert
post #9 of 11 Old 07-01-2020, 10:29 PM

View B Coll's Photo Album My Photos
South Carolina coast here. I am very fortunate that I have a dedicated shop. In moving here I knew the heat and humidity would be an issue not just for finishing, but for my cast iron machinery. I put a mini-split heat and a/c unit in my shop and it also has a feature that dehumidifies. I have to run it 24/7 for the machinery alone but they are unbelievably inexpensive to run, around $225 a year for 1-1/2 ton unit. I am blessed, all is good here.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-02-2020, 12:31 AM

View rbspraypainting's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Doc, we're running mid nineties AND over seventy five degree dew points right now, so it's just miserable. Still considering giving it a shot once the moisture dies down, but now also considering top coating with GF Arm-r-seal, since that would, at least theoretically give more open time. Still worried it would dry too fast to level...
post #11 of 11 Old 07-07-2020, 07:47 PM

View sancho57's Photo Album My Photos
with me its heat and finishing. I live in Az now (recently moved from Calif). The summer heat here isnt conducive to spray finishing. Today its 109. So its hard to spray. Once I get my shop built and climate controlled Ill be ok. But that will take a while. So this year for me Im going to try to brush the finish on or just wait till mid Sept when It starts cooling down. Also I only get a few hours of shop time in during the morning hours. I might have to become a nocturnal and get up in the wee hours of the morning to get some shop time in. Sort of sucks since Im in te middle of a project. There is a woodworking school here near me. I think Ill start taking some classes and use this time to expand my knowledge .

Anyway... thats whats going on with me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode