Any finish that will seal pores? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 12-14-2008, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

View KE6WNH's Photo Album My Photos
Any finish that will seal pores?

I'm very pleased with the results I got with a can of Watco Danish Oil on poplar. 3 days after the second application, I gave the work a coat of poly and was surprised at how nice and smooth it turned out.

I'd like to try for a similar finish on red oak (an open grain wood), but to do it, I'll need something that I can rub onto the wood which will fill all those tiny pores before the final app. I'm thinking I could make a thin gel of Danish Oil with Cab-O-Sil... this is a translucent fumed silica of very fine particle size, which becomes nearly transparent when wet, plus it's very inert and won't produce any off colors in the wood. Poly's drying time & characteristics make it unsuitable for use with Cab-O-Sil, but I wonder if Danish Oil might do the job... unless of course there's a commercial mixture I can use instead. Anyone tried this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-15-2008, 08:34 AM

View breakfastchef's Photo Album My Photos
Search for a paste wood filler. Here is a link to one such variety - Paste Wood Filler - PFILLER
post #3 of 4 Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastchef View Post
Search for a paste wood filler. Here is a link to one such variety - Paste Wood Filler - PFILLER

Ditto on the Constantines brand. Works better than any other solvent base grain fillers I've tried. Follow directions carefully.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Dust Bunny

Location: Caught between the longing for love and the struggle for the legal tender
View cusingeorge's Photo Album My Photos
Geeze, I didn't think anyone had access to Cab O Sil, except paint manufacturers!

We used to use that to make flattening agent.

I doubt it will give you the pore filling properties you are looking for. If it does fill a pore, it will probably not be very stable and could crack over time.

It ain't the years honey, it's the mileage
-Indiana Jones

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode