Airless - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 04-28-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

View Oneartist's Photo Album My Photos
Airless

I have an electronic Graco professional spray rig that a contractor friend of mine has been using since I started my teaching career. I'm wondering if the electronic controls would work well for wood finishes? I also have an Iwata Supernova with a good compressor. Any experiences using an airless?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-28-2012, 10:50 AM

View chemmy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneartist View Post
I have an electronic Graco professional spray rig that a contractor friend of mine has been using since I started my teaching career. I'm wondering if the electronic controls would work well for wood finishes? I also have an Iwata Supernova with a good compressor. Any experiences using an airless?
Haven't used any with electronic controls personally, but i would see no reason for it not working just the same as older units unless there are warnings stating otherwise due to some sensitivity factor? Can't imagine that being the case though.

As to using in or for wood finishing, not the best choice, stick with your Iwata and compressor for much better results, you can fine tune the air and fluid ratios much easier than with an airless. And in wood finishing it is necessary to have a gun that can easily apply light or mist coats frequently. Change of materials is another issue, where as a cup gun can be cleaned out quickly when needed, cleaning out an airless is more time consuming. Also it spray pattern is nowhere as consistent as an air gun as to uniformity of atomization, with airless you have a concentration area of fluid centrally and heavy tails on the outer edges giving room for unequal application of the coating.

Sincerely,

CHEMMY

Last edited by chemmy; 04-28-2012 at 10:56 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I worked for a company that used nothing but an airless in their finish department. I never did get used to it. Even with the pressure turned as low as it would go I had a real hard time keeping the lacquer we were using from running. It was like painting with a garden hose. You had to work so fast you could spray a 4x8 sheet of plywood in less than two seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I worked for a company that used nothing but an airless in their finish department. I never did get used to it. Even with the pressure turned as low as it would go I had a real hard time keeping the lacquer we were using from running. It was like painting with a garden hose. You had to work so fast you could spray a 4x8 sheet of plywood in less than two seconds.

WOW!! i never used any that bad, lol. What size tip did it have a 5mm????

Sincerely,

CHEMMY

post #5 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemmy View Post
WOW!! i never used any that bad, lol. What size tip did it have a 5mm????
It's been 27 to 30 years ago so I don't remember the tip size. I can just barely remember we had one gun set up with a vinyl sealer and the other set up with a catalyzed lacquer. We were making mostly millwork for airport lobbies. It was mostly large flat surfaces, service counters and wall panels. I guess it was a good thing they had fast equipment because we sure moved a lot of millwork through a very little finishing room. I believe the room was only 6 to 8 hundred square feet. That sprayer would cover 16" in a pass so you could cover a 4x8 in three strokes. If you bumped the gun on something or hesitated for any reason you had finish running down the panel in a stream.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
It's been 27 to 30 years ago so I don't remember the tip size. I can just barely remember we had one gun set up with a vinyl sealer and the other set up with a catalyzed lacquer. We were making mostly millwork for airport lobbies. It was mostly large flat surfaces, service counters and wall panels. I guess it was a good thing they had fast equipment because we sure moved a lot of millwork through a very little finishing room. I believe the room was only 6 to 8 hundred square feet. That sprayer would cover 16" in a pass so you could cover a 4x8 in three strokes. If you bumped the gun on something or hesitated for any reason you had finish running down the panel in a stream.
That's not spraying, that's "hosing"

Sincerely,

CHEMMY

post #7 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to be away so long. I appreciate all the input. I particularly agree with the clean-up difference. I remember that I used to keep kerosene in the line that was used for clear finishes. The Grayco electronic sounds really weird when it is switched to electronic. Instead of the usual grinding noise of an airless, the motor turns very slowly and is designed to apply thin coatings. I may give it a try. My contractor friend has been using it for over 20 years so I hesitate to take it back if it won't work that great. I don't really like the over spray of the air systems. I've heard that getting the pressures and the fan pattern right helps, but it's nothing like my old Binks syphon cup gun and perfecly mixed Fuller lacquer. That gun is illegal now and I suppose I'll be a little heathier using the water base finishes.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Sorry to be away so long. I appreciate all the input. I particularly agree with the clean-up difference. I remember that I used to keep kerosene in the line that was used for clear finishes. The Grayco electronic sounds really weird when it is switched to electronic. Instead of the usual grinding noise of an airless, the motor turns very slowly and is designed to apply thin coatings. I may give it a try. My contractor friend has been using it for over 20 years so I hesitate to take it back if it won't work that great. I don't really like the over spray of the air systems. I've heard that getting the pressures and the fan pattern right helps, but it's nothing like my old Binks syphon cup gun and perfecly mixed Fuller lacquer. That gun is illegal now and I suppose I'll be a little heathier using the water base finishes.
Sounds like your good to go.....

Sincerely,

CHEMMY

post #9 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I've heard that getting the pressures and the fan pattern right helps, but it's nothing like my old Binks syphon cup gun and perfecly mixed Fuller lacquer. That gun is illegal now and I suppose I'll be a little heathier using the water base finishes.
You may find out that the airless puts out too much fluid. Great for fencing, and deck finishes. For furniture finishes you need a degree of atomization to get a particle small enough to create a nice finish.

You say your Binks is illegal...where are you? I have a few Binks #7's, and they are some of my favorites.

post #10 of 16 Old 04-29-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

I'm in California where almost everything is illegal except Christian bashing - that's ok here.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-30-2012, 01:44 AM

View Old Skhool's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think they are illegal for home use. I still have my Binks 7 and it's been a great gun, still is. It does waste a lot of material through overspay though.

Back in the day when I was teaching woodworking, a fellow shop teacher in a sister city ditched his Binks for an airless and really liked it. I have to admit though that we all had our students rub out their finishes, so we were looking for build. His student's projects had flawless finishes when we arrived at the county/state competions. We did share the same local supplier that sold him the equipment and was our in house Chemmy". Our local Chemmy worked in/owned/store(s)/ an developed many paint and finishes. After helping the professionals for many years, he sold out to get in the chase for the development/improvement of the impending WB finishes. So In my opinion, airless can be used to spray many wood finishes with just the right formulations and equipment. Don't think I'd go that route though with the development of HVLP... or at least with the kind of help that I had available to me.

Last edited by Old Skhool; 04-30-2012 at 01:47 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 AM

I don't know what your intending on spraying, but your tip size will be important as to results obtained. on my old one i used a .005 for lacquer, .007 for heavier varnishes etc, .009-.030 or higher for polyesters/ asphalts/ etc.

Sincerely,

CHEMMY

post #13 of 16 Old 04-30-2012, 01:31 PM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
I'd look into a fine finish tip about a 210...what we use in the field
post #14 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Rick Mosher

View Rick Mosher's Photo Album My Photos
The airless will work fine but it will take a little getting used to. It is not like spraying with a conventional gun. You have to spray in one direction only. If you lap 2 times like spraying horizontal on rails and then vertical on stiles you WILL get a run. Like troyd1976 says a 210 tip will work fine. These are special tips that have a pre-orifice to atomize the material twice for a fine finish. Also a 208 308 or 310 tip should be fine. Don't thin your material, spray it right out of the can.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-02-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

This seems like it may be a good alternative without any hoses or cords. There are variable settings for different viscosity. No thinning required. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZKSRSI/ref=sc_pgp__m_A3GMT9IP3HWY3T_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3GMT9IP3HWY3T&n=&s=&v=glance
post #16 of 16 Old 05-03-2012, 04:31 PM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
That cordless rig would be something to research, a few years ago when. Intro'ed sherwin Williams told me lacquer is too hot to use with them. I believe they were water base or oil use only.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode