Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania
Thanks for the replies!
I have lots of questions regarding the materials and operations you both just mentioned, since I'm almost as beginner as it gets, as well as not being a native English speaker. I'll start with you, David
1) I bought a dark stain, which, judging by its photo, should have given the wood just the right color, but it wasn't dark enough even after 3 covers of stain. But I'll try it again on a smoother surface and come back to it when it's done. While on the topic, can the smoothness of the surface have a grave impact on the wood staining operation? Can it look drastically different, if we stained for example 80-grit and 600-grit sanded wood?
2) Tinted lacquer - is it simply lacquer with added coloring? I tried to search a bit about it, and that's what I got from it. If so, should I use specific lacquer for ash wood, as well as the paint to tint it?
3) Glazing - is it simply applying a wood stain on wood that has already passed other finishing operations, in this case, applying tinted lacquer, or is it something else?
4) And I figure clear coating is simply just to add luster and smoothness to the finished wand.
1) The wand will be used purely for aesthetics, possibly just for exposition somewhere in a room later on. And for frowning in front of the mirror, I guess. I'm also making a box for the wand itself, too, so I might post any questions here later on about it.
2) Regarding your comment about the primer killing the carved detail, I assume what you mean is that the primer would fill the cavities of the carved out symbols? Would I be able to solve the problem by simply widening the symbols? Also, would the paint hold on to the wood without applying a primer beforehand? And what could I use to mask it off, any ideas? I doubt duct tape would be an easy job for masking it off. And lastly, what kind of paint is best to use for wood? Water based or other?
I feel I asked a lot of very basic questions, which I generally do not like to waste people's time with, but I'm simply running out of time before Christmas. Once someone's answered my questions I will try to make a procedure plan to finish the wand and I might post it here for final advice. I could of asked a shop consultant these questions, but I assume people in these forums have a better background in woodworking than they do.
EDIT: if you have any other advice you would like to give, regarding the next steps, I will gladly devour all of them, since I know that the fact that this is quite a detailed project for a beginner, and in general, there might be many things I should think through or lookout for.
Last edited by Klaidas; 12-10-2019 at 01:56 PM.