Advice on finishing in black... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 08-13-2008, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

View HitManWA's Photo Album My Photos
Advice on finishing in black...

Hey all,

I built one of those leaning bookcases for my wife a few weeks ago and now her sister wants one but asked if I could paint it black. Painting something you hand make seems weird, dunno. I've just stained everything because it seemed more natural, but that's just...the noob. Anyhow, I was wondering if black lacquer was the way to go or I should just stick with paint.

As always, thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-14-2008, 03:48 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
The answer to this question is a "depends on". It would depend on what you used as a substrate for the cabinet, and what you want it to look like. For example, if you want a smooth black look, you could use MDF and just paint it.

Or, if you use a woodgrained hardwood plywood and wanted it black, but still have the grain read through just in the virtue of the relief of the grain, you could use a black aniline dye, or a thinned mix of black lacquer, or a black tint in a thinned varnish or thinned oil base polyurethane, or thinned water based polyurethane.

You can also achieve a black finish with a thinned version of an oil base paint.

post #3 of 4 Old 08-14-2008, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

View HitManWA's Photo Album My Photos
Oh boy, being as new as I am (this would be only my 3rd project) I'll have to digest this a bit and do a bit of research to know exactly what all the applications are. Thanks for the reply Cabinetman, as always you're a great resource.

I did plan on using pine probably as it's cheaper and figured there wasn't any real need to use oak or anything pricey due to her wanting it black but I'm wrong more often than not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-15-2008, 01:48 AM

View johnjf0622's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to johnjf0622
Hey cabinetman
When you say tint in a thined varnish or poly, is that something you get tinted at the store? Or is it tinting you do yourself. I never heard of doing that that I can remember. I am interested in the result of the finish ect.. Can you enlighten me on that?

Thanks

John

I don't plan my day in advance cause the word "Premeditated" ends up flying around the court room.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode