4ever blowing on bubbles - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

View cheesegeorgecheese's Photo Album My Photos
4ever blowing on bubbles

Hey Folks.

I enjoy the look of the thick, clear, glossy finish from a product called Envirotex Lite. It is a an epoxy resin mix. To prepare it, each of the two included liquid parts must be mixed thoroughly in a two part process.

When I combine and stir them, I generally create about 97 billion bubbles with each attempt. The manufacturer promises they will disappear if you simply exhale your breath onto the little fellers. - if you are unfortunate enough to find a few in the finished goop in the first place

As a last resort, using a hair dryer on the few remaining rascals is supposed to pop them into oblivion. I wind up, in the end, generating a total of about 3 trillion bubbles, regardless what I try.

Your thought? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 08:29 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You are probably being too aggressive stirring the finish. If you stir slower it will create a lot less bubbles. Some of the bubbles will be emitted from the wood too. The remaining bubbles you will just have to take care of with the hair dryer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
cheesegeorgecheese (07-17-2015)
post #3 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 11:02 AM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
I've used pour on epoxy a couple times. I also had a lot of bubbles. A butane torch on low held back about 10" and just dusted over the surface worked for me. I've read that it's the CO2 that draws out the bubbles. You definitely are not trying to get the epoxy hot, just blowing the exhaust over the surface.
The Following User Says Thank You to NickDIY For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 04:02 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Mix slower, don't work air into the mix and start off using a hair dryer and you should be okay. I can't imagine how you're getting a finish full of bubbles just by mixing unless you're using a whisk or a power drill.

Also, I know there's a limit to how many characters can be used in a title, but in this case I don't believe that the 2 characters saved by using "4ever" instead of "forever" were really needed

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 07:50 PM

View Improv's Photo Album My Photos
You can also try a high pour, so that the falling liquid becomes really narrow just before it hits the surface. This break a lot of the bigger bubbles and give some of the smaller ones less distance to travel to get out of the epoxy.

Regards,
Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Improv For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, guys. Appreciate your responses.

I have tried stirring slower. I tried not stirring at all, just swirling the container gently. That has worked the best so far.

On the box cover it says, "1 thick coat equals 50 coats of varnish". I'll try that next. So it takes a few months. T'aint cheap, neither.

The bowls are Hickory and it is harder than diamonds. Haven't found any finish that looks as good as EnviroTex, yet. That's the problem. It is so dense, nothing penetrates very well. But, Hickory is cool, too, so tough, so hard, heavy and beautiful, and cheap around here.

Thanks again.

BTW, anybody know where to get a new belt for a lathe?
post #7 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 08:55 PM

View smithbrother's Photo Album My Photos
4 heavens sake, IMO, he saved a few letters, Y even be concerned?

Dale in Indy
The Following User Says Thank You to smithbrother For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 20 Old 07-16-2015, 11:10 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Hickory is pretty porous wood, so when the epoxy you're pouring on enters the pores and displaces the air in the pores which adds even more bubbles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quickstep For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 20 Old 07-17-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I've confused Hickory with concrete. The stuff I'm turning is so hard and dense, wood stains bead up on the stuff and fly off, just about.

I've been known to get things twisted alright. Ask WW III. She hasn't found one thing I've done right since I promised to leave her alone if she'd marry me.

Love wood, though. Strong and solid and the product of sunlight, water and dirt. Smells good and polishes up nice.

Again, appreciate your input.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-17-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDIY View Post
I've used pour on epoxy a couple times. I also had a lot of bubbles. A butane torch on low held back about 10" and just dusted over the surface worked for me. I've read that it's the CO2 that draws out the bubbles. You definitely are not trying to get the epoxy hot, just blowing the exhaust over the surface.

I briefly tried using a torch, but with my history of blowing things up, I was too scared to give it a thorough going over. Flashbacks of detonating my shirt, pants and shoes lighting firecrackers or singeing off my eyebrows, mustache and beard when starting my woodstove
won't leave me alone.
post #11 of 20 Old 07-17-2015, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithbrother View Post

Dale in Indy

It is my way of pretending I no how to spell.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-18-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesegeorgecheese View Post
I briefly tried using a torch, but with my history of blowing things up, I was too scared to give it a thorough going over. Flashbacks of detonating my shirt, pants and shoes lighting firecrackers or singeing off my eyebrows, mustache and beard when starting my woodstove
won't leave me alone.
Well, your loss, what with learning your lesson and all that. I used a hair dryer once, too. It worked but just took a lot longer - for the epoxy, not to blow my ass up.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-18-2015, 02:09 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithbrother View Post

Dale in Indy
Our English language has gotten bleep bleep enough without people encouraging it.

We should all attempt to maintain standards. We are going downhill fast enough.

George

Last edited by Steve Neul; 08-01-2015 at 10:02 PM.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-01-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

supdoc?

i eggree

i don't need ncouramanagemnt. i need gud maners.
post #15 of 20 Old 08-01-2015, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

turning small branches of hickory and sanding 'em smooth creates a solid, hard and pleasant feeling club. It is just wood, but it is exceptionally cool. fabricated exclusively outdoors from sunlight, carbon dioxide, h2o and dirt. turned 'em and shaved off a bit and sanded what was left and it is beautiful.
post #16 of 20 Old 08-01-2015, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Well, your loss, what with learning your lesson and all that. I used a hair dryer once, too. It worked but just took a lot longer - for the epoxy, not to blow my ass up.

yea, getting your old backside blown to kingdom come ain't much fun. i tried a blow dryer but saw no bubbles pop. i bought more and plan to try a few new approaches. if i could get it to produce the finish it is famous for, it will be worth the money. it adds a dimension, a beautiful one, to the right surface. i'd like to use it on my car's paint! some day soon, car paint jobs will be works of art. the same old, same old solid colors will become ancient history. personalized, hand painted scenery or logos or portraits, quotes, designs, you name it, will become the rage. no two cars will look the same.
post #17 of 20 Old 08-03-2015, 11:25 AM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
I've used the same stuff and used a propane torch on the bubbles...no issues.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4512 Table Saw, 12" Compound Miter Saw, EB4424 Oscillating Sander, R4330 Planer | Bosch 1617EVSPK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Rikon 70-050VS Mini Lathe | Supermax 25-50 Drum Sander | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), G1061Z 1HP Buffer | ShopFox Cyclone DC | SO3 XXL CNC router
post #18 of 20 Old 08-04-2015, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiknNutz View Post
I've used the same stuff and used a propane torch on the bubbles...no issues.
Maybe I'll try again. How far from the product did you keep the torch? The stuff isn't flammable, so that's a +.

Thanks ChiknNutz
post #19 of 20 Old 08-04-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesegeorgecheese View Post
Maybe I'll try again. How far from the product did you keep the torch? The stuff isn't flammable, so that's a +.

Thanks ChiknNutz
Don't say that. It'll burn if you make it :)

I held the tip of the flame off about 6" from the material. The flame itself was about 3" long, so about 9-10" from material to torch head. Keep it moving...
The Following User Says Thank You to NickDIY For This Useful Post:
cheesegeorgecheese (08-04-2015)
post #20 of 20 Old 08-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
I have a trigger on my torch so instant on, instant off. I just hit it quick, little bursts is all you need. If you do keep it on for any length of time, do NOT hold it in the same place for any appreciable length of time or you will burn it.

The first few times I did this I was so impressed with how the bubble simply vanish. My experience is that you have to babysit this for about half an hour while the stuff thickens up to the point that the bubbles can no longer rise, as there are almost always some air trapped in the cracks that continue to off-gas.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4512 Table Saw, 12" Compound Miter Saw, EB4424 Oscillating Sander, R4330 Planer | Bosch 1617EVSPK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Rikon 70-050VS Mini Lathe | Supermax 25-50 Drum Sander | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), G1061Z 1HP Buffer | ShopFox Cyclone DC | SO3 XXL CNC router
The Following User Says Thank You to ChiknNutz For This Useful Post:
cheesegeorgecheese (08-04-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode