3 coats poly on Maple Burl still blotchy-now what - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-23-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

View JeffWimer's Photo Album My Photos
3 coats poly on Maple Burl still blotchy-now what

I put 3 coats of Polyurethane on some highly figured maple burl. It will not shine up. I assume I should have sealed it. What can I do now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-23-2014, 05:41 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What kind of poly did you use and what sheen was it suppose to be? Did you thoroughly stir the finish prior to using it? Was it brush on or wipe on? If you used the wipe on it's very thin so your three coats would equal one coat of brush on so you need three more coats.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-23-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Hate to admit it, but it was a rattle can of spray. Some areas of the surface look great, others not so. I have a feeling that these dull areas are end grain. What I am curious about, could I put a waning sealer or shellac over the poly? Trying to seal it now.

Thanks for help, trying to get some gifts under the tree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-23-2014, 09:05 PM

You don't want to put another product over polyurethane. I think you just need more practice with the rattle can poly. I think you just sprayed it too fast. A rattle can just puts out so little volume it's just difficult to do. You have to spray it slow enough it puts the poly on wet and then move down only about a inch and put another wet coat on and so on and so on until you reach the end of the area you are spraying. Each row overlaps the previous row kind of like a roofer laying shingles so you end up with complete coverage. On larger areas it might be necessary to have a second can already shaken and ready when you start so it isn't necessary to stop. Once you start an area you can't stop because you are trying to keep a wet edge as you go.

If you are trying to do a large area like a table top it might not be possible to keep a wet edge with rattle can poly regardless of the experience of the person spraying it. The thing of it is you can get enough finish on the project, it just might show lines where you made rows of spray. In this case once you get it covered it might be necessary to hand rub out the finish. This would just involve wet sanding the finish with 1500 grit or finer paper and then buff or rub out the finish with rubbing compound however this will make the finish glossy. What sheen are you wanting? If you are wanting a satin sheen you might wet sand it with 2000 grit paper and just wax it. Wax shouldn't be put on any new finish for a month. It needs to fully cure first.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-23-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I have never used a wipe on poly. Maybe I should have gone that route. These are small jewelry box drawer fronts.

Thank-you very much for the help.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-24-2014, 10:27 AM

View RandyReed's Photo Album My Photos
It gonna take more than 3 coats with a rattle can to get the proper build. Sanding in between coats is a major deal too. Scuff sand in between each coat with 320 grit paper.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-24-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWimer View Post
I have never used a wipe on poly. Maybe I should have gone that route. These are small jewelry box drawer fronts.

Thank-you very much for the help.
You could still put wipe on poly over what you have done. Just don't attempt to go back to rattle can if you do. The solvents in rattle can poly are too strong for wipe on poly. Wipe on polyurethane is basically the same finish as brush on poly only it is thinned a lot and formulated to dry slower. As a rule of thumb it takes three coats of wipe on poly to equal one coat of brush grade so it just takes extra coats.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-25-2014, 07:51 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWimer View Post
I put 3 coats of Polyurethane on some highly figured maple burl. It will not shine up. I assume I should have sealed it. What can I do now?
did you spray away from you to the end ? if not you may have over spray that is dulling the finish ? Just a thought, i spray lacquer i don't like poly , the wait is to long for me , i use a cabnet grade which is hard finish, just takes practace on all finish's , has to be a wet coat on eather lacquer or poly on the end you could just spray tell it seal's , or start's to build up than you should be good to go,

Last edited by del schisler; 12-25-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Tags
polyurethane maple burl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode