Working with Gloves? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
View Poll Results: Do you wear gloves in the workshop?
Yes, and I think it is safe to do so. 2 7.69%
Yes, but I think it can be a safety hazard. 1 3.85%
No, but I don't think it is a safety hazard. 4 15.38%
No, it is a safety hazard. 19 73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

13Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 02-19-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

View CoolWhip's Photo Album My Photos
Working with Gloves?

When I first started woodworking in high school, we were always taught the safety basics (wear eye/ear protection, don't have loose jewelry, hair, or clothing, etc.). So in my shop at home, I've kept to most of those. I always wear my shop apron and eye/ear protection, but I've also found that I enjoy working with a tight-fitting pair of work gloves. They protect my hands when I'm handling all the woods, adjusting tools, and I've even cut them a few times where they have saved my skin. Almost all the instructions for tools that I have read say "Don't use gloves while operating this product."

My question is, do you wear gloves in your workshop and/or do you believe they are a safety hazard?

~CoolWhip
The Following User Says Thank You to CoolWhip For This Useful Post:
admin (02-19-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-19-2016, 02:53 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
A lot depends on what you are doing. If you are just moving wood then it would be alright to wear gloves but running machinery with gloves on can be dangerous. If the machine has the potential to grab the glove and pull your hands in I would leave them off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (02-27-2016)
post #3 of 35 Old 02-19-2016, 02:54 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Rarely when working with wood. Maybe only to carry sharp edged plywood, but i would never wear them when using a saw.
sawdust703 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 02-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
God no, never around tools. It only takes seeing the 'after' pictures of someones hand getting dargged into a drill press once to break that habit. The only time I wear gloves is when I'm playing with my heat treat kiln, and that's only because 1500 degrees is a little toasty
Jig_saw and rinn69 like this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #5 of 35 Old 02-19-2016, 03:40 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yes and No.

Yes, when handling wood with splinters or when handling or working with hot surfaces.

No, when working around spinning cutters or workpieces... like the lathe, or drill press in certain circumstances. There was a You Tube demo where a piece of cloth was held over the table saw and nothing bad happened .. I think it just cut the cloth,... can't quite remember.

The danger is when it can become wrapped around the cutter or workpiece and draw your body parts into it. The same applies to shirt sleeves or long hair.

You poll needs another category ... "sometimes".
It's not a black or white issue in my opinion, but I don't wear them in the shop..... and I have had some splinters to show for it.

"Never" would have been another good category.
FrankC and sawdust703 like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 35 Old 02-19-2016, 03:48 PM

View NickDIY's Photo Album My Photos
Depends. When I'm cleaning up around the shop or moving lumber around, absolutely. I work faster with them on and don't worry about splinters, spider bites, or just generally getting nastiness on my hands.

I don't usually when I'm using most tools, but when I was using a sled to cut dadoes in pressure treated 4x4's, I did. I'd already gotten one good sliver before I put them on and my hands were in very safe positions.

I could definitely see how they could cause some damage like the drill press example.

On a side note, I've burned through at least 6 pairs of Mechanix brand gloves (not just woodworking). All sorts of styles. I recently decided to try these Ironclad one's from Amazon, but it'll take a couple months before I'll be able to tell how they hold up. Anybody else have any experience with these?
sawdust703 likes this.
post #7 of 35 Old 02-19-2016, 04:47 PM

View woodbadger's Photo Album My Photos
A no-no for puncture wounds as well. Nothing helps get an infection going like dirty fabric getting pushed into a wound. You develop calluses for a reason.
post #8 of 35 Old 02-19-2016, 05:15 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Like others I wear gloves when I'm working with something hot or when hauling in lumber but never around anything spinning.
sawdust703 and Jig_saw like this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
The Following User Says Thank You to difalkner For This Useful Post:
sawdust703 (02-19-2016)
post #9 of 35 Old 02-19-2016, 09:33 PM
World's Tallest Midget

View Mort's Photo Album My Photos
I almost chopped the tip of my finger off because a glove got caught in a pneumatic tire machine. Sucked it right in. Still have the scars, pretty much all the feeling is back.

Now the only time I use power tools and gloves is when I'm breaking down pallets.
Jig_saw likes this.

I hate signatures.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mort For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (02-27-2016)
post #10 of 35 Old 02-19-2016, 10:24 PM

View Jig_saw's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
A lot depends on what you are doing. If you are just moving wood then it would be alright to wear gloves but running machinery with gloves on can be dangerous. If the machine has the potential to grab the glove and pull your hands in I would leave them off.
I agree with Steve. Working with gloves might be OK when handling large pieces of plywood, glass, veneer, etc. But when grinding hand tools or working with power tools wearing gloves can be dangerous as you lose the tactile touch. Some times a glove can get caught in the saw blade or bench grinder wheel and cause injury! I have seen some accidents taking place like that.
post #11 of 35 Old 02-19-2016, 10:35 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Totally agree. Hand protection is needed when handling wood.

I once rammed an oak splinter (3/16" at t he big end by 1 1/4" long) so deep into my hand I could not pull it out. My next door neighbor was the base emergency room head and he also could not get it out. We wound up going to the emergency room.

He had no problem going to the head of the line.

George
post #12 of 35 Old 02-19-2016, 10:43 PM
novice wood hacker

View d_slat's Photo Album My Photos
Gloves + rotating equipment = recipe for disaster. That means jointers, planers, drill presses, tablesaws, routers, pretty much any power tool. Even a belt or disc sander can grab your glove and pull your hand in, possibly causing tremendous damage.
post #13 of 35 Old 02-19-2016, 11:20 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
If the question was about wearing gloves while running machinery it would make sense, just in the workshop is a bit ambigious.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
epicfail48 (02-20-2016)
post #14 of 35 Old 02-19-2016, 11:36 PM
World's Tallest Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC
If the question was about wearing gloves while running machinery it would make sense, just in the workshop is a bit ambigious.
I dunno, anytime in the workshop except when required I'd not wear the gloves. It's too easy to think, I'm just going to make one quick cut with these gloves on, and then BAM! Your SawStop goes off like someone threw a hotdog at it.

If I'm working with really rough wood, maybe, but a splinter is easier to deal with than a chopped off finger.
NickDIY likes this.

I hate signatures.
post #15 of 35 Old 02-20-2016, 01:35 AM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
You would half to be a bit off to think your being safe in the shop while having your gloves on.
post #16 of 35 Old 02-20-2016, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I dunno, anytime in the workshop except when required I'd not wear the gloves. It's too easy to think, I'm just going to make one quick cut with these gloves on, and then BAM! Your SawStop goes off like someone threw a hotdog at it.

If I'm working with really rough wood, maybe, but a splinter is easier to deal with than a chopped off finger.
And never wear flip flops and shorts in the garage just in case you decide to take the Harley for a spin.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
post #17 of 35 Old 02-20-2016, 02:46 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
And never wear flip flops and shorts in the garage just in case you decide to take the Harley for a spin.
Crap, wearing flip flops in the shop is out now? I really need to stop doing that...

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (02-27-2016)
post #18 of 35 Old 02-20-2016, 08:34 AM
World's Tallest Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC
It's not so much that as it is about complacency. Accidents happen on procedures you've done a thousand times and are on auto pilot. Also, with the old "just a quick cut and I'm done" thing.

Btw, I actually don't allow flip flops in my workshop either.

I hate signatures.
post #19 of 35 Old 02-20-2016, 12:26 PM

All the rules in the world will not keep you safe unless common sense is used as well. Handling rough lumber full of splinters bare handed because if you have gloves on you might use your table saw without thinking in my opinion borders upon the ridiculous.

There are many different styles of gloves, there are the $1.49 variety of "one size fits all" that are extremely loose fitting on most hands. Then we have mechanics gloves that are very tight fitting, really not that different than working with bare hands in most cases.

You should never run a machine with any kind of gloves on, that is a given and I have no argument there, I have an argument with generalities that make no sense in the real world.
CoolWhip likes this.

FrankC
post #20 of 35 Old 02-20-2016, 12:31 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
I have never worn gloves in the workshop. Even unloading melamine....

Tags
cut, gloves, safety, shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode