Woodworking Talk banner

Warning. Finger caught in belt sander.

25K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  hwebb99 
#1 ·
I was sanding a vertical surface with my handheld belt sander. I don't know how it happened, crap happens quick. It is worse than the pictures show. I had to get 2 stitches, and since it got crushed they x-rayed it and said the tip is fractured. Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Car
Finger Skin Hand Nose Flesh
Finger Nail Red Skin Hand
Finger Hand Skin Nail Thumb
Finger Skin Hand Nail Thumb

See less See more
#18 ·
Your fingers are supposed to be either on the top handle or somewhere else.

I bet that smarted.

George
Seriously...

That does NOT happen when holding / handling the tool properly.

Thread title should warn there are pics so I don't have to see all that...

FWIW - You may need to adjust the belt tension on that sander because if your finger tip had got caught between the belt and wheels on MINE - It would have mashed it a heck of a lot better than that. You might can simply shim your spring to apply more tension or easily buy a replacement. PC parts are relatively easy to come by even when you have really old PC tools (like me)... :yes:

A properly tensioned belt and clean drive wheel on a PC does NOT (should not) slip when you bear down or apply weight to the tool. On newer PC belt sanders you should hear the motor bog down long before any belt slipping happens when you apply serious weight / pressure even if the tool is very dirty / dusty.

With an older model PC that skin would be 'gone' and there would be no 'need' for stitches + the belt would not have slipped and the motor would never bog down. :smile:

#6 ·
You know it's the sanders fault. Better sue Porter Cable. Belt sanders can get really dangerous. You take them for granted but they bite too. I saw a guy get a hunk of skin on his leg pulled into the sander. We had to tear the belt and two and pull the belt backwards to get him loose from it.

#10 ·
Back in the 80s a carpenter I was working with was running a forklift around the jobsite. He had to readjust the forks to fit a pallet or something. He didn't raise the forks up or not high enough, anyway one of his hands slipped, the fork dropped to the top of the pallet pinning and mashing the tips of a couple fingers.

#17 ·
Just shows proof to never let your gaurd down on any powertool (No matter how much experience you have with the tool) They can still get you. Even sharp hand tools can you also. Always keep your gaurd up on any tools you use and stop a second and review the procedure in your mind before you actually do the work

#20 ·
Eh ...it's only a flesh wound ...at least that's what they said in the old westerns.
Some single malt should take the edge off and not give ya a gut ache ...you'll sleep like a baby.
I keep some myself ...for medicinal purposes ..of course.

#27 ·
Battle scars from woodworking ....Nah....knock on wood.
Metal working machines lets see Sunnen honing machine , drill press and the time a fork truck ran into me at a blind corner.....just flesh wounds.
Lots of ways to get bit in this world...be safe.

#29 ·
Machine was known to be a bit grabby and I was holding a small part by hand.....should have known the outcome.
Drill press ..holding by hand again.
Lots older and wiser (I think ) now.....I just cringe at what I see on TV woodworking shows and You Tube Vids at times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.