Stupid Noob question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 27 Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Creative sawdust maker

View ScottyB's Photo Album My Photos
Stupid Noob question

I understand the need fo safety. I also understand the need for companies to cover their posteriors in this sue happy society. What I am not sure I understand is the need for all the "safety" equipment on tools these days. I see the blade guard on my miter saw and have no problem with that. It does it's job without getting in the way. I have NEVER seen a table saw used with the safety equipment that comes with it. When I got my saw, I assembled it and left off the safety equipment. All that being said, I was always taught that the most important piece of safety equipment sits between your ears, so I look at what I am doing with that in mind. I always use a push stick anytime my hands would have been near the blade. I guess my question is: How neccesary is all this safety equipment? How many of you use it all the way it is designed?

I'm not looking for validation to do something stupid, but I've seen several instances where the safety equipment (IMO) reduces safety by obscuring your view of the work. Is this a case of it really is safer to use the equipment BUT you have to learn how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Scotty,
no such thing as a stupid question. As I get older (52 now), I tend to be more and more safety oriented without getting hung up on it. I always wear safety glasses, and I have re-installed the blade guard on my delta table saw. I try not to disconnect it unless absolutely necessary. It doesn't hurt to be safety conscious, just don't let it get the better of you. I did a lot of really stupid things in my younger days, and have only one messed up finger tip and a broken ankle to show for it. I consider myself extremely lucky to not have been hurt any worse. I think if you think things through, you won't have any problems.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 27 Old 03-03-2009, 10:36 PM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
I don't usually install safety devises. The first table saw I bought I installed all the safety equip. that it came with. It only took a couple of days before I took it all off. It was bulky and awkward. The saw I have now I don't even have the safety stuff for it. Since then I have been very careful to pay attention to what I am doing. It is a rule here that if a tool is running no one can come into the shop until it is turned off. It only takes a fraction of a second to lose a finger or worse. The biggest thing is to always be aware of what you are doing and don't do things the tools are not made to do.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 03-04-2009, 03:23 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Well I too don't use the safety equipment that came with my TS, but I was always told respect the tools your using, never leave the blade up on the TS when not in use, only raise the blade high enough to make the cut and use a push stick. I do use glasses mostly because I have worn them for 40 yrs and it makes it easier to see, Hearing protection a most since I lost 10% of it in the Marines although I never take my eyes off the blade intentionally, I'm liking the idea of nobody enters the shop if tools are running.

See always learning something new.

I may not use the regular safety equipmint but I wish I had enough to buy the Saw Stop when I was looking for a new cabinet saw. That saw is just to cool.

Last edited by rrbrown; 03-04-2009 at 03:26 AM.
post #5 of 27 Old 03-04-2009, 08:10 AM

Location: 2 1/2 hrs from anywhere in PA. that's Pennsylvania, the state of precipitation.
View creative novice's Photo Album My Photos
[quote=AZ Termite;69579]

It is a rule here that if a tool is running no one can come into the shop until it is turned off.

GREAT RULE!

"I tried it. I liked it. " Julie's 19 month old grandaughter, Feb 2009
post #6 of 27 Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 AM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
I think most of us would agree that if the safety guards on our equipment were easier to use, we would use them more often. Newer saws on the market are starting to come with ready to click in safety guards and riving knives. That I think would encourage me to use them more often.
post #7 of 27 Old 03-04-2009, 04:52 PM

View Bigred15's Photo Album My Photos
When I was in the Army, I "volunteered" to become the Company Safety NCO. This included writing reports on any and all safety related incidents that happened in the Company. That, combined with my lovely wife's paranoia, has caused me to become much more aware of safety related issues. I use almost all of my safety related equipment and wear ballistic glasses and gloves when ever I am in the shop. Heck I even wear the stuff when I'm mowing grass. I may over do it, but after all these years I've learned that I am a target. If something bad can happen, it will probably happen to me. I say use it, its there for a reason. My .02 cents.
post #8 of 27 Old 03-04-2009, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Creative sawdust maker

View ScottyB's Photo Album My Photos
To be clear, I use eyes and ears and look to make sure I'm out of the line of fire. I was referring specifically to safety equipment on the tools themselves. I wouldn't go out of my way to remove the shield on my miter saw, but at this point I wouldn't go out of my way to put the safety equipment on my tablesaw.
post #9 of 27 Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 PM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
Julie, I made that rule after being startled when one of the kids came in the shop. Like I said it only takes a fraction of a second to lose a finger or worse.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups
post #10 of 27 Old 03-04-2009, 08:53 PM

View Domer's Photo Album My Photos
Tool Safety

I agree that a lot of guards on table saws in particular are not as well designed as they should be.

But, I can see no reason to use a table saw without at least a splitter. It doesn't get in the way and makes your saw way safer.

We had two members of our local woodworkers guild injured the past few months because they did not have a splitter on their saws. That's two out of about 50 members.

Read Kelly Mehller's book on Table Saws or look at his video.

Domer
post #11 of 27 Old 03-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
stupid noob question

First an foremost,I will never question someone for being as safe as possible.I am one of the guilty ones that does not use a blade guard on my TS,because of the fine cutting I do,but I try to be very carefull.I have had two fingers messed up on two different time's,but was lucky and just ended up with miner scars.One tool you NEVER want to remove the blade guard on is a miter saw,as there is no rime or reason to as you can see exactly where your blade is cutting.
post #12 of 27 Old 03-04-2009, 11:41 PM

View BORKBOB's Photo Album My Photos
Lightbulb

There is no question that factory guards and splitters leave a lot to be desired. I got interested in table saw safety after buying two used saws that did not have the stock safety gear. A Craftsman hybrid still had the splitter bracket so I fashioned a snap in splitter. The next step was a ShopNotes overhead guard that has dust collection built in.

When I bought a used Grizzly 1023 I came up with a retractable splitter that mounted in place of the splitter bracket and could be pulled up or pushed down to the desired height. Again, I used the overhead guard.

In a discussion similar to this one someone declared that an aftermarket riving knife was not possible. It took over a year, but I proved him wrong

I would encourage everybody to give table saw safety some thought. There are many options out there and while some ain't cheap, they are a one-time purchase. That said, it is also extremely easy to get injured with safety gear in place if we fail to remain focused. As has been said, the most important safety device is between our ears.

Semper Fi

Please pray for our troops.

Bob Ross
theborkstore.com
post #13 of 27 Old 03-05-2009, 11:33 AM

View dollis's Photo Album My Photos
Red face

Has anyone seen the "sawstop" video that time warp did? That is a good idea if you can afford it. Everyone is an idiot at some point in their life (yes, you also and me of course), so companies need to idiot proof everything. Coming soon to a store near you idiot proof toilet paper.
post #14 of 27 Old 03-05-2009, 12:54 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred15 View Post
When I was in the Army, I "volunteered" to become the Company Safety NCO. This included writing reports on any and all safety related incidents that happened in the Company. That, combined with my lovely wife's paranoia, has caused me to become much more aware of safety related issues. I use almost all of my safety related equipment and wear ballistic glasses and gloves when ever I am in the shop. Heck I even wear the stuff when I'm mowing grass. I may over do it, but after all these years I've learned that I am a target. If something bad can happen, it will probably happen to me. I say use it, its there for a reason. My .02 cents.
I kind of know how you feel but I look at it a different way. I have been bitten by 8 spiders that required medical attention and 4 hospital stays for 1-2 weeks each 4 black widows, 1 brown window, 2 wolf spiders and one that wasn't sure what the hell it was. I have permanent damage and scars to both legs from the spider bites. I have caught on fire 2nd and 3rd degree burns 20% of body, had my spine pushed an inch and a half out of place, torn rotator cuff 3 times, and a rare blood disease that hospitalized me 10 times in 2 years. I figure what else could possibly happen?

Oh I was also the safety NCO USMC, and I'm only 42 and evidently live in spider hell, nothing kills them and my doctors say I should give up woodworking since Black widows like wood piles.

Yeah right, I give up my Shop the day they pry my tools from my cold dead hands.

post #15 of 27 Old 03-05-2009, 09:19 PM

View BORKBOB's Photo Album My Photos
Richard,

You sound like a corpsman's worst nightmare

See if you can find some hedge apples; they are said to repel spiders.

Doc (L 3/3 and L 3/4 1969)

Semper Fi

Please pray for our troops.

Bob Ross
theborkstore.com
post #16 of 27 Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Richard,
Holy cow man. I don't like spiders and snakes.......but I never got bit by any. I guess I won't whine anymore when I get a purple heart sliver and have to dig it out.
Mike Hawkins
post #17 of 27 Old 03-05-2009, 10:46 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry to hear of all those problems Brown !Maybe you should give up living under the porch!Holy Cow man what state do you live in?? Sounds like your the victim of VooDoo or something.
post #18 of 27 Old 03-06-2009, 02:19 AM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORKBOB View Post
Richard,

You sound like a corpsman's worst nightmare

See if you can find some hedge apples; they are said to repel spiders.

Doc (L 3/3 and L 3/4 1969)
Hey Doc , I will have to look for those Hedge Apples,Never heard of them but will try. I was going to plant Rosemary for the same reason.

Engineers, Crash Fire & Rescue, & 3rd Marine Security 86-91

Semper Fi
post #19 of 27 Old 03-06-2009, 02:23 AM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Richard,
Holy cow man. I don't like spiders and snakes.......but I never got bit by any. I guess I won't whine anymore when I get a purple heart sliver and have to dig it out.
Mike Hawkins

Hey Mike believe it or not I found a lady on another forum like 2 months ago that was wondering if anyone else had my problem. She seems to have been bitten by 8 black widows and 2 rattle snakes. It could always be worse.
post #20 of 27 Old 03-06-2009, 02:30 AM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy Brother View Post
Sorry to hear of all those problems Brown !Maybe you should give up living under the porch!Holy Cow man what state do you live in?? Sounds like your the victim of VooDoo or something.

Itchy I live in Louisiana, I don't think its VooDoo just payack for something I probbly did as a youngster or just bad luck. Better to have bad luck then no luck at all. You know how you try and tell kids bugs are more scared of you then you are of them, or if you leave them alone they will leave you alone. Those sayings don't work here. I always tell the kids don't worry about the spiders they won't do you anything. there response is not as long as I'm around. We did have my 7 year old nephew thinking I was going to turn into Spiderman.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode