Safe heat for shop - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 11-20-2019, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

View Julio8985's Photo Album My Photos
Safe heat for shop

Good evening! I have a 12 X 30 shop and I just can't decide on how to heat it. I have sufficient capacity in my breaker box to use electricity, and I also have access to NG.
I have been thinking about hot water heating systems. Maybe using an electric water heater to circulate thru a couple of ceiling mount devices. Anyone here have any information.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-20-2019, 02:10 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
Simplest is electric fan heaters, on the floor, directed at where you stand.
Dont use a gas burner, that produces lots of water vapour that your wood will absorb.

Dont put water filled radiators on the ceiling. Hot air rises, the ceiling will be tropical and your feet will be blocks of ice.
Tony B and John Smith_inFL like this.

SunnyBob
my projects can be viewed here
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/bob...dwork_projects
post #3 of 25 Old 11-20-2019, 02:19 AM

View DavidR8's Photo Album My Photos
If you have access to 240v power the electric construction heaters work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 11-20-2019, 10:00 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Northern Tool has some 240V heaters. Lowe's or HD might also have them.
Question- if gas burners put moisture in the air, then why is static electricity present during the winter and not in the summer? I have lived in several places that had NG and never had a problem with moisture; just the opposite. If I had about $6K, I would convert the house to it in a red-hot minute.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Last edited by Pineknot_86; 11-20-2019 at 10:03 AM.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-20-2019, 10:16 AM

View DavidR8's Photo Album My Photos
I think @sunnybob was referring to unvented gas heaters.

post #6 of 25 Old 11-20-2019, 04:46 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
Northern Tool has some 240V heaters. Lowe's or HD might also have them.
Question- if gas burners put moisture in the air, then why is static electricity present during the winter and not in the summer? I have lived in several places that had NG and never had a problem with moisture; just the opposite. If I had about $6K, I would convert the house to it in a red-hot minute.

A whole house humidifier would be much cheaper

Anytime you burn a fossil fuel it produces a gallon of water for every gallon or with NG gallon equivalent of it, the vapor goes out the vent unless you have a high efficiency "condensing" furnace/boiler, then it goes down the drain

There is no app for experience
post #7 of 25 Old 11-20-2019, 06:22 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
I still worry about fumes and dust getting onto electric heater elements with fire hazard. Even a possible dust xplosion should the dust collector suddenly stop working. Hot water radiant heat panels seem like the thing to me. A few weeks ago, a neighbor told me about a radiant heat mat that goes on the floor like an anti fatigue mat., but I can't find any such thing on line.
post #8 of 25 Old 11-20-2019, 10:45 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
is your shop insulated?
i prefer NG for heat, though your electricity down there is pretty cheap
pricey but a mini split would give you AC in the summer too
post #9 of 25 Old 11-21-2019, 01:10 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
I think @sunnybob was referring to unvented gas heaters.

Yes. from the original post I assumed he was talking about mobile gas heaters for his working area, not a gas fired boiler system using radiators for the whole building. Theres quite a difference.

SunnyBob
my projects can be viewed here
http://www.pbase.com/john_cooper/bob...dwork_projects
post #10 of 25 Old 11-21-2019, 09:04 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Catpower, one house in Ohio had NG and a humidifier. We could set the t'stat at 68 degrees and it would feel like 72 degrees. We lived in that house from January to May.
We have an unvented heater downstairs in the den- have to open a window about an inch when it's on. We now have two decorative electric heaters. Only had the gas heater on once last winter.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Last edited by Pineknot_86; 11-21-2019 at 09:06 PM.
post #11 of 25 Old 11-21-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for your reply's. The mini split with AC is tempting! LOL!
post #12 of 25 Old 11-21-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

I forgot...my shop will be insulated if and when I ever finish it! I have 6" stud walls.
post #13 of 25 Old 11-22-2019, 12:23 AM

View nblumert's Photo Album My Photos
I have decided on a mini split unit for my insulated 2 car garage, tired of not being able to go out there in the winter. Had estimates done, everything was good to go, all I needed to do was make the call to schedule the appt. 2 days later, had to replace the whole house unit. Now the mini split unit is on hold until next year. Life has a way of really irritating you sometimes.
post #14 of 25 Old 11-22-2019, 12:33 AM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
You are in roughly the same climate zone as I am. For my shop I have a window style heat pump mounted high in the North wall of my shop. It never produces heat hot enough to cause a fire, but heats, cools, dehumidifies, and filters the dust out of the air in my shop year round. It runs whenever I'm in the shop working or whenever the outside temperatures will go below freezing. I set the temperature to about 50 during the Winter when I won't be working there, and raise it to 65-70 when I'll be there or when finishes are drying. In the Summer i leave it at 75 just about all the time. Since there is never a surface of it hot enough to ignite combustibles, I feel that it is the ideal heating, cooling, and dust filter system that can be had, and it's all in one single cabinet.

Some are installing mini-split systems in their wood shops. If you do this, be sure to add a shop made filter box in the intake and use some high quality furnace filters to keep the inside of the mini-split clean. It will double as a shop air cleaner too.

Charley
Catpower likes this.
post #15 of 25 Old 11-22-2019, 10:59 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
I have three of these units that I use to heat three separate areas. One is my attached 24' x 24' garage. One is my 28' x 28' woodshop. And the other is a 28' x 36' automotive shop with a 15' high cathedral ceiling. They are NG, direct vent with a sealed combustion chamber. No worries about blowing yourself up. They are quiet and quick to heat an area. I don't keep them on while I'm not using the shops or garage. The biggest shop takes about 20-30 minutes to warm up in the dead of winter, single digits outside. No real maintenance either. Oldest one is 27 years, no problems. Also takes the air in high and blows it out low. Meets code just about anywhere and easy installation.

https://www.ecomfort.com/Williams-60...0aAjewEALw_wcB

Mike Hawkins
Attached Images

DavidR8 likes this.
post #16 of 25 Old 11-22-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post
You are in roughly the same climate zone as I am. For my shop I have a window style heat pump mounted high in the North wall of my shop. It never produces heat hot enough to cause a fire, but heats, cools, dehumidifies, and filters the dust out of the air in my shop year round. It runs whenever I'm in the shop working or whenever the outside temperatures will go below freezing. I set the temperature to about 50 during the Winter when I won't be working there, and raise it to 65-70 when I'll be there or when finishes are drying. In the Summer i leave it at 75 just about all the time. Since there is never a surface of it hot enough to ignite combustibles, I feel that it is the ideal heating, cooling, and dust filter system that can be had, and it's all in one single cabinet.

Some are installing mini-split systems in their wood shops. If you do this, be sure to add a shop made filter box in the intake and use some high quality furnace filters to keep the inside of the mini-split clean. It will double as a shop air cleaner too.

Charley

This is very good advice, but make the filter box to hold 2 inch thick filters and use pleated filters, but also check them quite often as they will plug up pretty fast when you are producing dust

And stay away from 3M Filtrete filters, although they are good filters the material they use in them is designed to be in 4-6 inch thick filters that way there is enough surface area to make up for the increased static pressure loss. A one inch Filtrete filter has more static pressure drop across it when it is new than a regular filter that looks like carpet, and that ruins many compressors each year

You can use compressed air to blow out the 2 in pleats, I have a dozen that I have been using for about 15 years, you would be amazed at how much dust blows out of them. Just wait for the wind to be blowing at that neighbor you don't like LOL

Last edited by Catpower; 11-22-2019 at 04:59 PM.
post #17 of 25 Old 11-23-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio8985 View Post
Thanks to all of you for your reply's. The mini split with AC is tempting! LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio8985 View Post
I forgot...my shop will be insulated if and when I ever finish it! I have 6" stud walls.
look at some of the window units at hd, 12k btu heat/cool would probably work in a new tight shop
$7k for mini split, $700 for the window units
my kid live in mt juliet, he insulated an old 20x40 pole barn and can heat it well with wood
we wired in a 30A AC outlet, every summer he looks but hasn't pulled the trigger
post #18 of 25 Old 11-23-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
look at some of the window units at hd, 12k btu heat/cool would probably work in a new tight shop
$7k for mini split, $700 for the window units
my kid live in mt juliet, he insulated an old 20x40 pole barn and can heat it well with wood
we wired in a 30A AC outlet, every summer he looks but hasn't pulled the trigger

$7000 for a minisplit? Maybe I need to move my bidness to Detroit LOL

post #19 of 25 Old 11-23-2019, 05:57 PM

my bad...
a friend looking for one told me that, may have been 2

GET THE MINI SPLIT
post #20 of 25 Old 11-23-2019, 06:02 PM

CATPOWER is there a big difference in the mini split vs wall unit in a sleeve?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode