Jointer close call - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By michaelpugh
  • 1 Post By GEMcooter#2

post #1 of 12 Old 02-26-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

View michaelpugh's Photo Album My Photos
Jointer close call

I've always heard to not wear long sleeves in the shop and I just saw the other post about his sleeve turning on the table saw. Well I was working at the jointer just now and felt the jointer head pull at my sleeve as I passed over. Yes. It scared me. I wanted to post just to let everyone know you're not invincible if you think you are 😱. Luckily it didn't get ahold of my sleeve but man that was close. It sure tried to.
Sleeper and Steve Neul like this.

wish I had a cool line like everyone else...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-26-2017, 05:24 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know where the established set of rules is posted, but one of them reads something like:

"Do not wear loose fitting clothing around moving machinery."

last century, industrial accident, female with long hair violating posted company rules requiring long hair be closely contained, walked under a calendar roll, bunch of static electricity snatched up her beautiful flowing locks and ripped her scalp off.

pay attention. most safety rules are written in blood.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-26-2017, 06:20 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
I don't know where the established set of rules is posted, but one of them reads something like:

"Do not wear loose fitting clothing around moving machinery."

last century, industrial accident, female with long hair violating posted company rules requiring long hair be closely contained, walked under a calendar roll, bunch of static electricity snatched up her beautiful flowing locks and ripped her scalp off.

More than a few pictures online floating around of guys who've worn long sleeves around a lathe. It's really not pretty to look at, but it reminds you why those rules exist. Nobody wants their to beyond to read "bisected by a lathe chuck"

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-26-2017, 06:51 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Yea long sleeves can get you. I saw a guy one time doing some dado work of cabinet faceframes and managed to let the dado head catch his shirt. Fortunately he realized it immediately and pulled back. It managed to rip the shirt off him except for the left sleeve.

Myself I've either removed the long sleeve shirt or taped it my arm so there wouldn't be any dangling cloth.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-26-2017, 08:41 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Brings to mind the summer intern we had at work many years ago. Dress code was three piece suits (large computer company with the stripped logo). He was apparently not used to wearing a tie and he leaned over the shredder. Yep, his head was down to feed slot before someone got the machine unplugged.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"

Last edited by Jim Frye; 02-26-2017 at 10:32 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-26-2017, 09:08 PM

View GEMcooter#2's Photo Album My Photos
long sleves

That was one of the first rules I learned in shop class in high school when we first started using power tools.. Our teacher was very strict on the rules. He told us about a guy with a tie and a drill press. It wasn't a pretty sight. I didn't like him to much but he did teach us a lot a good rules about power tools. In spite of that I've still had a lot of close calls an some pretty bad cuts. He always said a power tool was a monster ready to reach out and grab you. Even if you are being careful accidents do happen. Keep safe and keep making saw dust.
michaelpugh likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-18-2018, 09:34 AM
bikeshooter

View bikeshooter's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post

Thanks for this
post #8 of 12 Old 02-18-2018, 10:27 AM

View P89DC's Photo Album My Photos
My grade school shop teacher, Mr Coolidge, wore a clip-on tie back-in-the-day. He was a distant cousin of the 30th President too.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-18-2018, 12:46 PM
Junior

View andr0id's Photo Album My Photos
I was an aviation mechanic in the Navy. No jewelry and no loose clothes was always highly recommended. Machinery will figure out ways to kill you, no need to help it out.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-18-2018, 02:55 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
Brings to mind the summer intern we had at work many years ago. Dress code was three piece suits (large computer company with the stripped logo). He was apparently not used to wearing a tie and he leaned over the shredder. Yep, his head was down to feed slot before someone got the machine unplugged.
I'm an alumni of that company as well!
post #11 of 12 Old 02-18-2018, 05:58 PM

View AltcarBob's Photo Album My Photos
1st job I had there was an old foreman who wore a Bow Tie. I asked him one day why and he asked me had I ever seen someone dragged into machinery by his tie, he had and took to a Bow Tie the next day. He was near to retirement and would have started work in the 1930s when you had to wear a Tie to work and had never lost the habit.

Measure twice, Cut once, Then force it to fit with a big hammer.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-18-2018, 07:50 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
When I bought a used bandsaw, I invited the "bandsaw mentor" from the local woodworking club to come and help me look it over. He gave it a thorough inspection, made sure it was ready to use, and showed me the best ways to set it up and use it.

He reminded me that bandsaws originated in the meat packing industry for cutting up meat (flesh). He says that bandsaws are always trying to get back to their roots. They want to eat your flesh. It put a healthy fear of the bandsaw in me for sure!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode