It's time.. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 26 Old 04-16-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
It's time..

I'm going to somehow find the money for a Sawstop saw..IF the old woman even lets me back in the shop ever again.. I just ripped into my fingertip... again.. a cut off started coming back towards me and instinctively I reached for the damned thing and rrrrrip.. Headed to the hospital if for no other reason than to get antibiotics..
This hurts.. Sorry, no injury **** today..I have it all taped up..

My dad is acting like I cut off both hands, an eye and my liver.. He's an old worry wart.. lol

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-16-2018, 08:54 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Feel Blessed you still have your finger(s)......and YES that's what parents do.....I've been on both sides and now watching the grandchild grow up.

Are you accident prone to cause the extra worry OR they just love ya that much???? Sometimes the instinct/reaction to grab over rides our thought to not (the thought takes longer to react).

I'm glad your fine...Just give' em both a big hug and say you'll do better.........nothing else to say....it happened.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Very sorry to hear youíve been injured. I hope itís not serious and you heal fast. You probably wonít be able to put your hand in your pocket until June.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-16-2018, 09:55 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Ouch! Glad it wasn't worse than that.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #5 of 26 Old 04-16-2018, 10:55 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Glad you're okay mate, I've met lots of people missing fingers because of table saws and it doesn't seem like fun to get your hand caught in one.

ďTime and titles do not matter in the bonds between people.Ē - Tomoyo Sakagami (Clannad After Story)
post #6 of 26 Old 04-16-2018, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

In no way does my dad's reaction disappoint me. I'm a dad too so..well who wants their kids to get hurt?
I'm lucky that it kind of killed the nerves in the end of my finger. After the initial jolt and pain and shock it stopped hurting although I have little doubt it's going to remind me later that I still have nerves in the finger..
It ripped almost straight down the nail into bone so this finger will likely never have a full finger nail again, but yeah..I got really lucky it wasn't worse. It glanced the middle finger with a small cut,but it'll heal just fine.
I'm working out in the shop already tonight or was for a bit. The old woman thinks I'm insane and she's probably right..
Started looking at prices for a contractor saw stop model..somewhere in the $1700-ish range. I'll be paying the mafia (the wife/gf)forever for it since I don't have the cash, but she does..(our inside joke) I have a hunch she's going to insist on every little safety feature that I'm not particularly wild about, but heck..I only have so many fingers left.. I guess if she's paying I'm going to use them..
Now I'm going to have to find a buyer for my craftsman motorized..The only decent thing going for it is the align-a-rip and the fact it will run nice and strong.. I won't miss the aluminum slotted top nor the cheesy thin inserts.. Someone will cough up the asking price.. I'm aiming for around $400 if some poor fool drops by.. lol

Impressive, huh?
post #7 of 26 Old 04-16-2018, 11:30 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Wink Look into the Bosch Reaax

It doesn't destroy the blade like the Saw Stop. One of our members here has one... can't recall who? Anyway, sorry about your mishap! I keep a small push stick on top of my fence to bat the small cutoff towards me from the rear. You don't want to stick anything in from the front, it will jam and kick back. If you tend, instinctively or otherwise, to reach over or around the blade, tie your wrists with rope limiting the forward movement to within inches of the front of the blade ....

Wipe the blood off the old saw before trying to sell it.... just sayin'
hawkeye10 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 26 Old 04-17-2018, 06:21 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I was working with my youngest son(28) in the shop last night making a center console for his Honda Element. Really the first time he has taken the lead on the table saw so I was giving him all of the safety tips. One of them was "do not reach for the cutoff"...

Sorry you were hurt, but thanks for giving me a story to share with him tonight while we are finishing up.
post #9 of 26 Old 04-17-2018, 08:44 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
I'm going to somehow find the money for a Sawstop saw..IF the old woman even lets me back in the shop ever again.. I just ripped into my fingertip... again.. a cut off started coming back towards me and instinctively I reached for the damned thing and rrrrrip.. Headed to the hospital if for no other reason than to get antibiotics..
This hurts.. Sorry, no injury **** today..I have it all taped up..

My dad is acting like I cut off both hands, an eye and my liver.. He's an old worry wart.. lol
I was taught when something goes wrong reach for the sky. Over the years I've been severely bruised but have kept my fingers out of the blade.
Gary Beasley likes this.
post #10 of 26 Old 04-17-2018, 06:08 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
I got my middle finger in a table saw years back, it ripped the side of my finger out and part of the joint. It never hurt, it felt like some one had jerked my shirt sleeve really hard and fast. What really hurt was when I slammed the screen door on it three days later, that hurt.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #11 of 26 Old 04-17-2018, 06:10 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos

Good to hear everythings still attached. Was there a few years back, table saws are mean

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #12 of 26 Old 04-17-2018, 07:20 PM

View pro70z28's Photo Album My Photos
Don't feel too bad, you aren't alone on the "fingers in the saw" list. I ran 2 fingers through the saw a year ago last December. First time in my 65 years that I've had an altercation with the saw, just a momentary laps is all it takes. 16 months later my fingers are still numb. I still have them both (I did a rip cut as apposed to a cross cut). Had reconstructive surgery on the bones and went through physical therapy the whole deal. People still ask how I'm doing. I say not bad but I'd be doing better if I had just skipped the whole fingers in the saw thing.
post #13 of 26 Old 04-18-2018, 10:34 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
It doesn't destroy the blade like the Saw Stop. One of our members here has one... can't recall who? Anyway, sorry about your mishap! I keep a small push stick on top of my fence to bat the small cutoff towards me from the rear. You don't want to stick anything in from the front, it will jam and kick back. If you tend, instinctively or otherwise, to reach over or around the blade, tie your wrists with rope limiting the forward movement to within inches of the front of the blade ....

Wipe the blood off the old saw before trying to sell it.... just sayin'
I am the one with a Bosch REAXX table saw. They are not available for purchase in the US right now, but are available elsewhere in the world. If you are in the US and you must absolutely have a REAXX, you can find them for sale at a premium price. At least one seller is shipping them from Canada. US Customs may stop the shipments if they realize what is happening.

I love my Bosch REAXX saw, which I have been using for just over a year. I agree that the cost of SawStop brakes and replacement blades is expensive compared with the dual-use Bosch Reaxx cartridge (and you keep your blade!). In theory, you should never need it, whether Bosch REAXX or SawStop. If you do trigger the safety mechanism, it should be very rare indeed, and the difference in cost should not be a consideration.

SawStop makes good saws, and I would have no hesitation to recommend one in cases a Bosch REAXX is not available, such as the current US market right now. I note that the SawStop patents are supposed to expire in 2021 (according to Wikipedia), which may open the floodgates of new table saws with safety mechanisms from many manufacturers.

I work on computers and play piano. A woodworking accident would be devastating. Besides, I can't count higher than nine. ;-)
jimnycricket65 likes this.
post #14 of 26 Old 04-18-2018, 05:08 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I got my middle finger in a table saw years back, it ripped the side of my finger out and part of the joint. It never hurt, it felt like some one had jerked my shirt sleeve really hard and fast. What really hurt was when I slammed the screen door on it three days later, that hurt.
Hopes! That makes me hurt just to read about it.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #15 of 26 Old 04-18-2018, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

This is the 2nd accident with the saw. Last one just nipped the side of my finger, this one a bit more harsh. Even though I know not to reach where I shouldn't it's the instinctual reach that gets me. I could see it happening even before I did it so...oh well..
Surprising that I've had very little pain with this one until this evening..It's catching up with me.
Last time around everything was healing well then right after I finally removed the bandage for good I went and smacked it with a mallet which hurt even more than when I cut it. I did the &#@$! dance for an hour.. lol
Anyway, I have to figure out how I'm going to move the old saw and all the other crap in the way when I finally get the new saw. With two good hands it's not a huge problem, but with a hand and a half it's a problem.. I wonder if the place I'm planning to buy from will deliver and set it up..not that I particularly trust other people to do these things for me, but I might not have a lot of other options..
I figure that the cost of a new cartridge and blade, about $130 is definitely cheaper than a finger and the pain that goes with it.. Also looking at even more for a dado cartridge. I've never had any problems with dado blades.. if I had enough space I'd love to keep both saws and keep the old one as a dedicated dado saw.. Maybe I can talk the old woman into giving up her pile of junk on the other side of the garage..The only thing I think has to be out here is the lawn mower..the rest is her small mountain of sentimental junk..

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 04-18-2018 at 11:24 PM.
post #16 of 26 Old 04-19-2018, 08:10 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I would like to add one more thing about the Bosch REAXX and SawStop. Both are excellent saws with important safety features.

The Bosch REAXX only comes in a jobsite saw. That fits my needs perfectly. I needed a table saw that could be folded out of the way, and it is easy to wheel outside when I want to use it. It does have the limitations of a typical jobsite saw: the table lead-in is short between the front of the saw and the blade, and the table is made of aluminum. Still, it works for me, and it makes perfect cuts at the furniture-making precision that I want.

SawStop makes a jobsite saw that is similar to the Bosch REAXX. The SawStop jobsite saw is very good, but I chose the Bosch REAXX over it. I would not argue with someone who prefers the SawStop jobsite saw. Each has its advantages and disadvantages; it comes down to a personal choice between the two. (One consideration for me was political. I don't like how SawStop is pressuring the government into mandating their patented safety features, to force other manufacturers to license the SawStop technology at unreasonably high costs.)

-> What I want to point out is that SawStop makes more than a jobsite table saw. SawStop also makes excellent contractor and cabinet table saws, with the same SawStop safety technology as their jobsite saw. At some point in the future, I will sell my Bosch REAXX jobsite saw and buy a larger cabinet table saw. You can bet that it will have a blade retracting safety feature, whether from SawStop or elsewhere.
post #17 of 26 Old 05-11-2018, 04:44 PM

View pro70z28's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a table saw surviver. I got 2 fingers, but I did a rip cut rather than a cross cut so I still have the fingers. Like you, it got the bone, so I had to have reconstructive surgery to put the bones back together & redo do the nails. Surgery hurt more than the accident. Nails did grow back although they aren't quite right. The worst of the 2 finger is about an 1/8'' carbide blade width narrower now. Finger tips are still numb after about 16 months, but at least I still have them. They get cold in the winter very easily. As far as reaction time, it was over before I even realized I'd been cut. Raised my hand and I could see daylight through my finger down to the first knuckle. Realized then that this was not good. Wrapped my hand in a paper towel and headed for the hospital since I was home alone. I got to the hospital about the time the numbness was wearing off. Wasn't long before the nice nurse had the pain under control though.
post #18 of 26 Old 05-11-2018, 04:53 PM

I have to wonder how long it will before sawstop makes other machinery. There are other pieces of equipment more dangerous than a tablesaw. I think they should at least make a radial arm saw and perhaps a miter box.
post #19 of 26 Old 05-11-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I have to wonder how long it will before sawstop makes other machinery. There are other pieces of equipment more dangerous than a tablesaw. I think they should at least make a radial arm saw and perhaps a miter box.
You know what would really make sense is if they could develop a retrofit kit for almost any saw on the market although I doubt it would be feasible. Just a way to stop any spinning blade retractable or not would be a huge step forward. The problem I would see would be that most people wouldn't have the skills necessary to rewire the saw(s) to fit a current sensor on the equipment.. Sounds like a hell of a great side business if such retrofit kits were made available..
Sawstop really wants to sell saws.. They might overcome the political stuff by offering the service through highly trained people to retrofit any saw at a very reasonable price.. WhadoIknow though?
It makes me wonder how many guys would be willing to pay a few hundred bucks or more to retrofit their old saws and just how would the logistics work either getting the saw to the techs or the techs to the saws.. Might be interesting..

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 05-11-2018 at 08:53 PM.
post #20 of 26 Old 05-11-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
You know what would really make sense is if they could develop a retrofit kit for almost any saw on the market although I doubt it would be feasible. Just a way to stop any spinning blade retractable or not would be a huge step forward. The problem I would see would be that most people wouldn't have the skills necessary to rewire the saw(s) to fit a current sensor on the equipment.. Sounds like a hell of a great side business if such retrofit kits were made available..
Sawstop really wants to sell saws.. They might overcome the political stuff by offering the service through highly trained people to retrofit any saw at a very reasonable price.. WhadoIknow though?
It makes me wonder how many guys would be willing to pay a few hundred bucks or more to retrofit their old saws and just how would the logistics work either getting the saw to the techs or the techs to the saws.. Might be interesting..
The biggest problem I can see is they would be competing with their own saw. They like the idea of having the only saw that won't cut hot dogs. I forget who it was but another company started making a similar device and their lawyers stomped them in the ground to keep the monopoly on it. Then they would probably have to invade on someone else's patents to make the accessory for another brand saw. They could care less how many fingers it would save, it's all about money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode