ear protection - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 24 Old 05-04-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
ear protection

I want to get good ear protection (and didn't want to hijack Greyhoundguy's thread).

The little spongy orange or green nibs are just not working for me. Too much hassle.
Saw these in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post

Howard Leight QB2 - got ours at Amazon
Attachment 351666

David
How long to they last? Meaning, the rubber tips. I was thinking of getting ear muffs.
What do you guys recommend? Any recommended brands? dB levels?

Home Depot has a couple models from 3M for ~$25.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-04-2018, 05:53 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't care for ear plugs. I'm prone to ear infections and the plugs seem to give me problems. I use ear muffs like you use to shoot a gun.
Ron_J, mjadams61 and DIYTim like this.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-04-2018, 06:08 PM
An experienced novice

View GuitarPhotographer's Photo Album My Photos
I use the same Howard Leight hearing protectors to shoot and to work in the shop. In the shop, I turn off the microphone, since I'm working alone most of the time I don't need to hear voices. They provide 30 dBA of noise reduction and cost ~$50. A steal compared to $4K for hearing aids ;-)

<Chas>
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 05-04-2018, 06:45 PM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
As Steve said, I like the ear muff style.

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #5 of 24 Old 05-04-2018, 08:58 PM

View sbrader's Photo Album My Photos
I, too, use my shooting headset in my shop. It works well and I already own it!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
mjadams61 likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-04-2018, 09:13 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I blame my hearing problems and the need for hearing aids because of being around nail guns for 35 years. The early nail guns were extremely loud. Yet I know some ears are more sensitive than others. Most home shop equipment is not as loud in decibels as a weed eater, a motorized hedge trimmer or a chainsaw. We tend to hold these motorized tools close to our ears.
Ear protection is just smart. Anything you use will be better nothing.
hawkeye10 likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #7 of 24 Old 05-04-2018, 09:17 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
I have a set of Peltor 29 dB muffs. work well. .

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"
post #8 of 24 Old 05-05-2018, 12:10 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gj13us View Post
How long to they last? Meaning, the rubber tips. I was thinking of getting ear muffs.
What do you guys recommend? Any recommended brands? dB levels?

Home Depot has a couple models from 3M for ~$25.
I probably use them longer than they are intended but I get 6 months easy out of them. I keep rotating them and trying to clean them but once they start getting hard or too dirty to clean I put new tips on.

The ear muffs I use are 35 dB reduction and I couple that with the sponge type when I use the planer. Otherwise I just use the Howard Leight and they're always hanging around my neck when I'm in the shop so they're quick and easy to put on and take off.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #9 of 24 Old 05-05-2018, 12:34 AM

View Jig_saw's Photo Album My Photos
I use my aviation headsets from my piloting days when working with power saws and sanders for longer than 1 minute. They are old, but provide excellent noise protection:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03323.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	501.1 KB
ID:	358834  

Keep thy axe sharp.
post #10 of 24 Old 05-05-2018, 01:37 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Generally though I use the yellow harbor freight earmuffs they block the sound of gunshots decently as well as most power tools. I did want to get the ones that have a built in radio though.
hawkeye10 likes this.

"Dreams are stronger than poison and seize more firmly than disease, once captured one can not escape. It's a real curse, but for adventurers who are dedicated to it, body and soul, people without dreams are more frightening than death" (Made in Abyss). The Twenty Seventeen anime of the year, it definitely deserves that award. It's a show you don't expect to throw you off as much as it does. It may be Moe but it's certainly not lighthearted, just the opposite.
post #11 of 24 Old 05-05-2018, 09:34 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I use the $3.99 Harbor Freight earmuffs. I am touchy about hearing protection, so I use them whenever I work with power tools. Despite their low cost, they work fine for hearing protection. We have two of them (one for spouse/guest). The plastic liner that goes around the ears can get a little sweaty if you wear them for a long time when it is warm outside. I don't normally leave them on unless a power tool is running.

We have had them for years, and they show little signs of wear. I can't tell them apart, so I use each one only half the time.
post #12 of 24 Old 05-05-2018, 09:59 AM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are not the lowest cost but they really deden the sound. You can not hear the phone ring. I use them while running my planer.
post #13 of 24 Old 05-06-2018, 12:29 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
I'm still using my gunshot 'muffs from target shooting days.

However, I'm convinced that those things have a "resonant" frequency.
While they were good for high impact sound, sustained sound from power tools was very loud.
So I found some thin foam rubber and cut little sheets to stack and pack the muffs right full.

Now, I am cut off from the world. Not such a bad thing, some days, yes?
I can carve all day with a mallet and gouges and never be bothered by the repetition pounding.
The miter saw and TS just make hissing sounds.
Just me = I find I can pay best attention to the work when I'm not distracted by the howling noise.

I need a flashing light for the doorbell.
I need a flashing light for the phone to ring.
post #14 of 24 Old 05-06-2018, 04:42 PM

View Ron_J's Photo Album My Photos
Shooting earmuffs for me as well. (although not as often as I should) Mainly when using the planer.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-06-2018, 06:48 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
I use the silicone earplugs with the stem from National Guard surplus. I also used the Howard-Leight foam earplugs that had a NRR of 33. Highest I found for for foam earplugs.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #16 of 24 Old 05-07-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Seeing lots of posts about the Howard-Leight. I think I'll start with those and see how it goes. $7 isn't too much to spend on an experiment.
Brian T. likes this.
post #17 of 24 Old 09-11-2018, 09:15 PM

View DIYTim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I don't care for ear plugs. I'm prone to ear infections and the plugs seem to give me problems. I use ear muffs like you use to shoot a gun.
Ear muffs all the way.
post #18 of 24 Old 09-11-2018, 10:38 PM

View mjadams61's Photo Album My Photos
I use the same academy sports ear muff specials I use for shooting and in my shop. trying to saved what hearing I got left from all them Ozzie and AC/DC concerts and crank em up automotive stero contest I particapted in when I was younger :)

Marlin
post #19 of 24 Old 09-11-2018, 11:49 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Ear Muffs, a very sore subject with me.

I wear a set of Ear Muffs, Peltor 105. I don't know what the NRR is but it is up there. IIRC they were around $30 at HD. You really want the muff variety because it stops the bone conduction also.

I spent far too many hours in computer machine rooms over 40+ years or so. The computer fan noise is particularly destructive. My hearing is almost normal to about 1800 Hz and then drops off -65db at 2800 Hz. I can hear Darth Vader rather well but most women I have difficulty understanding. My BTE hearing aids are a chore to use with ear muffs but I struggle. The ITE models don't have the amplification nor the ability to tune as well to my hearing loss.

If you are considering hearing aids, check out Costco. Most of the models that they carry are about the best. Cost is less than $2K a pair.

I was taking a woodworking class at the community college. (Cerritos) The first day of class I asked for the floor and said, "Ear muffs are about $30. Hearing aids are about $2000." The response was little more than a yawn. A couple of weeks later Harbor Freight had a sale on ear muffs. Using a coupon I bought ten sets using the coupon. The total cost was less than $40. NRR was about 25 or 26. I put them in a box with a "Free" sign. The sign also said, if you take one you must wear the ear muff in the shop. The class room was used for 8 or 10 classes a week. It was over 3 weeks before all the ear muffs were taken. Not one student in my class took an ear muff.

My class was a mixture of old pharts like myself and young kids needing an elective. Most of the old guys had some sort of ear protection while the kids had none. Ah the invincibility of youth.

The ear muff are 3M, Optime, Peltor. Model 105 is rated at -29db or -30db and $30 today from AOSafety. If you search further you'll probably find them cheaper.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon

Last edited by NoThankyou; 09-12-2018 at 12:08 AM.
post #20 of 24 Old 09-12-2018, 08:47 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThankyou View Post
Ear Muffs, a very sore subject with me.

I wear a set of Ear Muffs, Peltor 105. I don't know what the NRR is but it is up there. IIRC they were around $30 at HD. You really want the muff variety because it stops the bone conduction also.

I spent far too many hours in computer machine rooms over 40+ years or so. The computer fan noise is particularly destructive. My hearing is almost normal to about 1800 Hz and then drops off -65db at 2800 Hz. I can hear Darth Vader rather well but most women I have difficulty understanding. My BTE hearing aids are a chore to use with ear muffs but I struggle. The ITE models don't have the amplification nor the ability to tune as well to my hearing loss.

If you are considering hearing aids, check out Costco. Most of the models that they carry are about the best. Cost is less than $2K a pair.

I was taking a woodworking class at the community college. (Cerritos) The first day of class I asked for the floor and said, "Ear muffs are about $30. Hearing aids are about $2000." The response was little more than a yawn. A couple of weeks later Harbor Freight had a sale on ear muffs. Using a coupon I bought ten sets using the coupon. The total cost was less than $40. NRR was about 25 or 26. I put them in a box with a "Free" sign. The sign also said, if you take one you must wear the ear muff in the shop. The class room was used for 8 or 10 classes a week. It was over 3 weeks before all the ear muffs were taken. Not one student in my class took an ear muff.

My class was a mixture of old pharts like myself and young kids needing an elective. Most of the old guys had some sort of ear protection while the kids had none. Ah the invincibility of youth.

The ear muff are 3M, Optime, Peltor. Model 105 is rated at -29db or -30db and $30 today from AOSafety. If you search further you'll probably find them cheaper.
Perhaps I have the same problem. I have a real hard time hearing my wife anymore. I don't know if it's a hearing problem or I've learned to tune her out.
mjadams61 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode