Burning exotic wood dust/shavings - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By johnep
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By TomCT2

post #1 of 16 Old 12-22-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

View ColoradoRice's Photo Album My Photos
Burning exotic wood dust/shavings

Not really SHOP safety question here, but safety related.

Iíve seen a few videos online about making your own fire starters out of sawdust and wood chips and parafin wax. You basically pour your dust and shavings into muffin tins or egg cartons, add melted wax and let cool.

Iíd really like to do that as we go RVing a lot but all the videos Iíve seen, people are using basic lumber sawdust and shavings. As a woodturner, Iím turning things like bloodwood, bocote, cocobolo, rosewood, etc. Would it be safe to use the dust and shavings from woods like that to use as fire starters? Iím not really familiar with, nor can I find information on burning exotic woods. Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-22-2017, 04:05 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Just don't stand over the fire breathing in the smoke.
johnep
Catpower likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-22-2017, 05:53 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I seriously doubt that anyone has done any serious studies on that question. Just not a large enough target audience to be worthwhile.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-22-2017, 06:38 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If any of it is toxic the smoke goes up the chimney so I wouldn't worry about it.

Seems like a lot of trouble to start a fire. If you save your wood scraps too small to use that would be enough to start a fire.
Catpower likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-22-2017, 08:53 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
He said it was for RVing so I'm assuming it is for a camp fire. If they're just for starting an outdoor fire they won't last long.

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #6 of 16 Old 12-22-2017, 12:44 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
it's not all good news . . .

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-and-toxicity/
Toolman50 likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-22-2017, 01:59 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I doubt it would be nearly as bad as the sanding dust when you are working with them or do you wear one of those super duty face shields?

I had a full beard I wear paper masks but I do know some get past those
post #8 of 16 Old 12-22-2017, 03:21 PM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
Mix an unknown with the already nasty wax smoke and what have you got? I don't want to guess.
Garbage fire and I'll be standing upwind, thank you.

In wood carving, I make very little dust.
Chips and shavings are no big deal, cabinet scraper curls, that's about it.

I do keep the chips and shavings packed into a few big plastic bags.
Acrylic paints are somewhat toxic as liquids in aquatic ecosystems.
So, I pour all leftovers into the shavings to bind and dry (aka plastic).
post #9 of 16 Old 12-22-2017, 09:21 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
I use plane shaving to start all my fires at home. Wood shavings in wax could work I guess but when I'm camping I mix fir pitch with some roughed up cedar bark. It works like a charm.

"Dreams are stronger than poison and seize more firmly than disease, once captured one can not escape. It's a real curse, but for adventurers who are dedicated to it, body and soul, people without dreams are more frightening than death" (Made in Abyss). The Twenty Seventeen anime of the year, it definitely deserves that award. It's a show you don't expect to throw you off as much as it does. It may be Moe but it's certainly not lighthearted, just the opposite.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-22-2017, 11:13 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Okay, then what CAN you do with sawdust, wood shavings, thin sticks, and wood scraps? Over the last few months I have generated a few bins worth of the stuff. I suspect that it is a major issue for the people with large commercial woodworking operations.

All I can think to do is put it in the household trash, which goes to the landfill. I would prefer a better solution, if you can suggest it.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-23-2017, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
Iíve looked at that database over and over to try and find anything helpful on the actual burning of any of the wood but havenít seen anything. So far all I can get is opinions and they vary from person to person. From ďyeah, itís perfectly fineĒ to ďdonít do it youíll die!Ē Seems like Iím getting much of the same here.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-23-2017, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
I doubt it would be nearly as bad as the sanding dust when you are working with them or do you wear one of those super duty face shields?

I had a full beard I wear paper masks but I do know some get past those
When Iím turning and sanding I wear a 3M half face respirator with the pink cartridges. Mainly because I already work in a hazardous environment and donít need to add to my lung issues at home. I didnít always wear one but never had any reactions to before starting.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-23-2017, 04:38 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
A high incidence of nasal and throat cancers used to occur in High Wycombe wood workers making furniture.
johnep
post #14 of 16 Old 12-23-2017, 09:26 AM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
woods contain oils, esters and a whole host of other chemical compounds.

burning the wood puts the stuff airborne and 'at temperature' which - if there's un-nice stuff in the wood - will very likely make it more readily absorbed - especially if inhaled.

if a wood species is listed as un-nice for dust inhalation, one might assume the fumes are also un-nice.
of course, there will be people who insist the un-nice is made nice by the burning temperatures.

I'd say it's your call.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-23-2017, 11:33 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRice View Post
When Iím turning and sanding I wear a 3M half face respirator with the pink cartridges. Mainly because I already work in a hazardous environment and donít need to add to my lung issues at home. I didnít always wear one but never had any reactions to before starting.

I used to never wear anything and it didn't bother me, unless I was sanding a bunch paduak or walnut, made the snot look bloody or chocolate LOL But as I have gotten older it seems to irritate me more so I wear a paper mask it seems to help but with a full beard it doesn't get it all

I wouldn't worry about the small amount you will be burning, just try to stay up wind, which is impossible for me, cause they say smoke follows good looks LOL
post #16 of 16 Old 12-29-2017, 10:17 AM

View FishFactory's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Okay, then what CAN you do with sawdust, wood shavings, thin sticks, and wood scraps? Over the last few months I have generated a few bins worth of the stuff. I suspect that it is a major issue for the people with large commercial woodworking operations.

All I can think to do is put it in the household trash, which goes to the landfill. I would prefer a better solution, if you can suggest it.
All my shavings and sawdust go to a buddy for bedding animals or I pitch them out back if he doesn't need any. Small scraps go to my neighbors for starting their wood stoves and anything larger than a piece of kindling goes right into my outdoor wood boiler. Completely use every piece of wood that comes into the shop......even down to the sawdust.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode