Your opinion please - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 28 Old 11-05-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Your opinion please

I'll keep this short, as I don't want to take up too much of your time. I have a full sized lathe at the moment and I am seriously considering downsizing due to shop space restrictions. I have never turned anything longers than a 10" pepper mill as far as spindle turnings go and I am more interested in turning things like small bowls in the future. I was looking at this lathe, and was wondering what you pros thought of it. All of the accessories for my current lathe are a MT2 and the thread count on the head stock is the same so my jaw chuck, face plates and accessories would be compatible as well. Your opinion is greatly appreciated. If you can think of any pros/cons, that would be great. If any of you already have this unit and want to share your experience, that would be great as well. Thanks.
Ken.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-05-2011, 09:50 AM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
http://www.general.ca/site_general/g...he/25-114.html I have this lathe now for over a year and have turned what you are going to use it and like it very much. It is made by the same company you are considering.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Willing For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (11-05-2011)
post #3 of 28 Old 11-05-2011, 09:57 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Ken I started on that lathe and bought a full size one becuase I wanted more power. I still have the GI lathe and use it for stoppers, pens, etc. But for bowls, unless your starting with nearly round blanks and staying on the small size (under about 6"), I wouldn't get rid of the big guy. Unless you have that bolted down to a very stable surface, it will walk right off your bench. Don't ask me how I know that. As it was told to me (too late) you can d everything on a big lathe that you can on a small one, but you can't do everything on a little one that you can on a big one.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
The Following User Says Thank You to sawdustfactory For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (11-05-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 11-05-2011, 10:59 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I'm a fan of the Delta 47-460. It has 12" of swing about 16" between centers, 1hp variable frequency drive so it has lots of power. It's a really sweet lathe. #2 morse taper accessories and 1"x8 TPI spindle.
The Following User Says Thank You to john lucas For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (11-05-2011)
post #5 of 28 Old 11-05-2011, 03:33 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
http://www.amazon.com/General-International-25-200M1-Variable-Maxi-Lathe/product-reviews/B002KHNLZC/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt/178-4361140-1100126?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Lathe did have problems not sure if corrected yet
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1161

While no lathe is perfect, and not sure of prices in Canada, Delta 47-460 cheaper here and many great reviews.
The Following User Says Thank You to wildwood For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (11-05-2011)
post #6 of 28 Old 11-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
ken i have the delta 46-460 and wow i love it.not sure about the one you are looking at but look at the delta also before deciding
The Following User Says Thank You to robert421960 For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (11-05-2011)
post #7 of 28 Old 11-05-2011, 04:29 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
If possible, I would check and see if the hp is max/peak or continuous as it makes a lot of difference. There are some lathes that state 1 hp max but if the engineering types on line are correct that is about .6 -.7 hp in continuous.

The specs on yours does state 8 amps so it is probably a true 3/4 and not puffed up.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaladin For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (11-05-2011)
post #8 of 28 Old 11-05-2011, 10:47 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
I'm a fan of the Delta 47-460. It has 12" of swing about 16" between centers, 1hp variable frequency drive so it has lots of power. It's a really sweet lathe. #2 morse taper accessories and 1"x8 TPI spindle.
Ken I think John meant the Delta 46-460 Midi Lathe. I have it and love it. 1 hp with EVS which definitely helps for bowls.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrbrown For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (11-06-2011)
post #9 of 28 Old 11-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Kindling Expert

View Dave Bell's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Delta 46-460 and a Oneway 1640.....both are very good. I have tried the General and I was not happy with it. Much larger footprint (takes up more space) and it has less horsepower than the Delta counterpart.

The lathe is the cheapest purchase you will make, so you may as well make it a good one the first time. All of the add-ons will add up faster than you can even imagine, making the lathe look cheap.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Bell For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (11-06-2011)
post #10 of 28 Old 11-06-2011, 01:55 AM
dmh

View dmh's Photo Album My Photos
I know it's not the lathe you asked about but add me to the list of happy Delta 46-460 owners. Its my first lathe and I've had it a little over a month and love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmh For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (11-06-2011)
post #11 of 28 Old 11-06-2011, 05:55 AM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
Another vote for the 46-460.

Can anyone find a bad review on this unit?

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
The Following User Says Thank You to slicksqueegie For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (11-06-2011)
post #12 of 28 Old 11-06-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
HALL OF FAMER

I find it interesting that you all have such a high regaurd for the Delta unit. I've seen this unit around and didn't even consider it. Maybe I need to reconsider. On a side by side comparison, the Delta has a heavier motor, 1/2" more swing over the bed, a 50 RPM lower low speed and a 400 RPM higher top speed, forward AND reverse and 2 sizes of tool rests. It is, however, 50 lbs lighter and has a slightly smaller between center measurement. It also has 12 less indexing positions than the General. I don't think that these 3 "cons" will effect me at all. The weight does concern me a little, but with a good base and some sturdy mounting, the weight shouldn't make a difference. Any other supporters of the Delta? I'm not dead set on the General, but it does look like the Delta is the better machine for my purpose at this point.

post #13 of 28 Old 11-06-2011, 08:24 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksqueegie View Post
Another vote for the 46-460.

Can anyone find a bad review on this unit?
Yes there is are 2 bad reviews on Amazon. The single star review is what happened to me with GI as far as the on/off switch, and the forward/reverse control (for my problems), but after exchanging three lathes at WC the problem was resolved. So I guess Delta has a speed control problem as well as a customer service problem. It took a day for travel for each incident and I was back up and running. WC replaced the lathe for each incident. The on/off switch I replaced via GI customer service and the F/R problem were replaced by WC with new lathes. I have made and sold over 12 sets of of 8" S & P mills and one 10" as well as countless game calls with no problem (duck, goose turkey). I have made four bowls and yes they are only 6", but I have not had bigger stock to work with. My lathe is only 5amps, but has a 14" throw.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Willing For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (11-06-2011)
post #14 of 28 Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 AM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
So how's the search coming, Ken?
I'd like to hear from some others.
Mr Lucas has a 47-460........

Learning more about tools everyday
post #15 of 28 Old 11-07-2011, 08:23 AM
sawdust manufacturer

View txpaulie's Photo Album My Photos
Ken,
I'm not a veteran turner, by any means, and have no experience to compare lathes, so consider this to be entirely anecdotal...

I like the Delta 46-460 also, it's the only lathe I've ever used.

p

...ever notice how "I'm sorry" and "I apologize" mean the same thing, unless you are at a funeral..?
The Following User Says Thank You to txpaulie For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (11-07-2011)
post #16 of 28 Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
HALL OF FAMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
So how's the search coming, Ken?

Still looking. It seems that even the Delta is a little difficult to get my hands on here in Canada. I knew that there was one woodworking supplier that carried it and when I checked online, it was no longer listed in their catalog. I contacted them via email and they informed me that they have discontinued carrying the Delta but that they have one unit left on display in their head office location. They also informed me that it had been "reduced" to $625.00 plus tax. I would like to think that a floor model demo would be a little cheaper than $625 but I can't seem to find any other local suppliers to compare prices. As far as the General goes, I'm still in the debating stage of it. The speed control issues that the General had are dated back to 2007 and I would like to think that they have resolved these issues by now. If they are still having the same problems after 4 years of being aware of them, then there is something definitely wrong. Either way, I'm still searching around. I don't get much computer time lately due to time spent in the shop. Hopefully, before the end of the month, I will know a little more of what I want and where to get it.

post #17 of 28 Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Yea i got wood

View robert421960's Photo Album My Photos
thats amazing ken.i thought you could get everything there that we can get here
post #18 of 28 Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
HALL OF FAMER

You would like to think so wouldn't you. I live in a huge city and I guess the need for woodworking equipment isn't high on the list of demands in the hussle and bussle of the city. A lot of brands are not even available, such as Jet, Nova and Grizzly. I don't really know why this is. When you finally do find someone who sell the product that you are looking for, they usually have it so overpriced that you can't, or in my case, wont buy it. It's a constant struggle around here. With that being said, I'm still looking.

post #19 of 28 Old 11-08-2011, 02:05 PM

View wildwood's Photo Album My Photos
Sometimes have to look at customer service after the sale buying a lathe. That fellow that a problem with his GI speaks very highly about his lathe after vendor Redmond Machinery and folks at General made it right for him.

Many vendors feel their responsibility ends once they take your order and are paid.

Mod 25-114 M1 worth a look.
http://www.redmondmachinery.com/browse.cfm/4,1745.html

Model 25-114QC M1
http://www.general.ca/site_general/g_produits/lathe/25-114.html

Vice model 25-100 M1
http://www.redmondmachinery.com/browse.cfm/4,1714.html

Model 25-200 M1
http://www.general.ca/site_general/g_produits/lathe/25-200.html

Added U.S. vendors so folks living here can see prices of course have no idea what these lathes sell for in Canada. Of course like the more expensive 25-200 M1 or 25-114 models.

Availability and service after sale important too!
The Following User Says Thank You to wildwood For This Useful Post:
Kenbo (11-08-2011)
post #20 of 28 Old 11-25-2011, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
HALL OF FAMER

Well, after a ton of research and some searching, I finally made my decision and picked up a Delta 46-460. I haven't had the chance to play with it because I don't feel comfortable using it until it is bolted down so I have been making a stand for it. So far though, it seems like it is well made and it does save a lot of room in my shop. Well, sort of. It would save a lot more room if I could sell my full size. Thanks to everyone for your input. I really appreciate you taking the time to give your opinions.
Ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode