Woodturning project - Need advice! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

View cabomhn's Photo Album My Photos
Woodturning project - Need advice!

Hello everyone. This is probably my fourth or fifth project that I have made since my addiction started with the woodshop in November. I bought a piece of buckeye burl, and have since then turn the maximum depth into it that I could. Here are a few pics so you can see what I mean...

Woodturning project - Need advice!-photo-1-16-12-1.06-am.jpg

Woodturning project - Need advice!-photo-1-16-12-1.07-am.jpg

Because I had to screw it into the faceplate, and the screws protruded, I only had about an inch and a quarter of depth to work with from a 2.5" slab. Also, I was forced to cut the burl slab in order for it to fit onto the lathe. My goal for this project as a gift for my neighbor was to keep the slab looking as natural as possible while still giving it a finished look. So, here was my idea, this is where I would love to hear what all of you experienced turners think.

Woodturning project - Need advice!-photo-1-16-12-1.08-am.jpg

Ha, let me try to explain what I was trying to get the arrows to mean. That semicircle around my fingers is where I want to retain the base to keep the "bowl" level. I was hopping to hand carve this so, working outwards from the semi-circle, I would round over the section that I have circled, and finish that all of the way to the top leading edge. I would leave this more or less in the rough, cleaned up, but not finely sanded.

My goal with this idea is to be able to give it a more bowl-like shape without turning it and cutting off all of the really interesting figure that the burly outside has to offer.

Woodturning project - Need advice!-photo-1-16-12-1.08-am-2.jpg

This is where I would really appreciate some advice in how I would be able to achieve the technique I am going to describe. I saw a picture in a gallery book that NC State's woodshop had. The picture was of a bowl where the indent was finely sanded and polished to a shine, and the rim (where I outlined in red and have an arrow pointing at in my picture) looked like it had been roughed and gouged, but very naturally, not like many repeating straight indentations.

My main question here is, ascetically, is what I am considering something that people would typically consider when making a piece? My other main concern is whether or not any of you know a technique that would help me achieve that very "worn wood" look that I am referring to. I have been searching for a picture similar online but I can't find one so I am hoping someone here has some idea what I mean.

Thank you for the help! I really appreciate it.

- Matt

p.s - Please excuse the pictures, I left all of my camera gear at home before I came back to school so I had to resort to my laptop webcam, sad day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
After you carve it use Flap wheel sanders or the new 3M sanding stars. They tend to smooth a surface but since they are flexible they leave an uneven surface that looks more like natural weathering. You can by the flap sanders or make your own. Here's a link to our website that has an article about sanding inside hollow forms. It shows how to make a flap sander that would work really well for this.
http://www.cumberlandwoodturners.com/htm/tips.htm

Here is an image of a piece I'm working on. I didn't want a highly textured surface just a smooth worn surface. After carving I used the 3M sanding stars but this is a very small project. For your use the flap wheels would probably work better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	35929  

post #3 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john lucas View Post
After you carve it use Flap wheel sanders or the new 3M sanding stars. They tend to smooth a surface but since they are flexible they leave an uneven surface that looks more like natural weathering. You can by the flap sanders or make your own. Here's a link to our website that has an article about sanding inside hollow forms. It shows how to make a flap sander that would work really well for this.
http://www.cumberlandwoodturners.com/htm/tips.htm

Here is an image of a piece I'm working on. I didn't want a highly textured surface just a smooth worn surface. After carving I used the 3M sanding stars but this is a very small project. For your use the flap wheels would probably work better.
I do like how that looks a lot. Do you think this would also work if as un under layer before I used the Flap wheel I used a series of small cuts from an array of chisels to give it an uneven surface? Thanks a lot! I would have never found something like that on my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

If anybody else has any advice I would appreciate it, thanks a lot.

- Matt
post #5 of 5 Old 01-16-2012, 10:50 PM

View Hwood's Photo Album My Photos
A wire wheel on a drill gives a very weathered look. Sand blasting does it to. Both remove the soft grain much faster than the hard. I know the results on straight grain, not sure what to tell you about a burl.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode