Woodcraft's Invisavue - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-19-2010, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Woodcraft's Invisavue

I recently was at our local Woodcraft store and saw a pen they had up on the display board that was a deep, rich blue color that was nothing short of strikingly beautiful! I asked what the material was and where I could get some! The material is an acrylic called Invisavue and they had the blue in stock so I grabbed a couple.

What I learned before I started turning was that I needed to slow the lathe down a bit, take small bites and make sure the tools are sharp! Okay, I can deal with that. Right off I figured everything they said about turning was going to be true as this stuff can melt on a drill bit or reaming tool.

I slowed the lathe, sharpened up my gouges and skew chisels and went in light. The first blank started to chatter on me with a small gouge so I backed off and stopped the lathe to look. Yep, small but not too deep divots all over the piece. Turn the lathe back on and increase speed just a bit and go in lightly with a larger gouge. Good thing I was wearing the face shield as that little gem came apart in many little blue pieces!

Second piece turned much easier using a scraper but it sure did take a while! I'm used to the regular acrylics taking up to 45 minutes to turn and finish to the final dimensions but this stuff was better than an hour for two pieces for the pen. While I'm happy with the end results I told Jake that if anybody else orders a pen with Invisavue we'll have to charge a premium just to try and recoup some of the labor involved. Still, a gorgeous pen was the end result.

Anybody else ever use the Invasavue and did you experience the same issues?

Blue Invisavue with Woodcraft Slim Style pen kit. We made this for a Rams fan who wanted the blue and gold combination.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17

Last edited by Mr Mac; 12-20-2010 at 04:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-19-2010, 10:56 AM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
I haven't tried turning any materials other than wood, but your beautiful result sure makes it tempting

In Barry Gross's book on pen-turning, he advises using a brad-point bit for drilling wood but a regular drill bit for acrylics, etc. -- and to slow it right down if you don't want to melt the blank before it even gets to the lathe

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #3 of 8 Old 12-20-2010, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
The village amadán.

We did have the drill press slowed and we only use brad points. We also make darn sure that we keep the bit moving to keep the hole cleaned out too. Again, this stuff is gorgeous when done but a big pain to get it there!

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-20-2010, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
The village amadán.

Update: we did bring the pen to the stadium to deliver it to the lady who ordered it and as soon as Jake held it up for her she immediately threw her hand up and said she didn't actually ordered it when she said she wanted one. After a few minutes of telling her she did in fact order one Jake ended the discussion by letting her know in no uncertain terms that any future orders from her would be ignored.

She came back an hour or so later and said she was wrong and decided she did want the pen after all. With a big ole grin Jake looked her square in the eye and said it was already sold and that she lost out on it, now, and forever.

That's my boy!

post #5 of 8 Old 12-20-2010, 03:14 AM

View MGP Roofing's Photo Album My Photos
Way cool! I might just have to order some & give it a go.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 AM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
... Jake looked her square in the eye and said it was already sold and that she lost out on it, now, and forever.

That's my boy!
Good for him! (Break it to him gently that if he ever works for somebody else he'll be expected to quench his "stuff it" instinct )

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #7 of 8 Old 12-21-2010, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
The village amadán.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncsuss View Post
Good for him! (Break it to him gently that if he ever works for somebody else he'll be expected to quench his "stuff it" instinct )
He actually knows that one. This was all precipitated by her attitude up front. He was just responding with the Golden Rule in mind! In my opinion she deserved it!

post #8 of 8 Old 12-21-2010, 03:46 PM
WoodTurner

View vcooney's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work,

I turned a couple pens with the same material and found out that using a scraper caused divots or tear outs. So now I only use a skew.

Vince

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode