Wood questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 09-17-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

View jrflat's Photo Album My Photos
Wood questions

I have prepped some wood for turning from some downed trees and one of the trees is an Ash tree that died. Is it still ok to turn that wood if it is from a diseased tree that died? To help it dry out I did apply wax to the ends to stop the spliting but I noticed that on some of them there is some mold, mildew or something green that has come up under the wax. Should I be concerned about that?

I also have a friend that has some downed maple and cherry trees, I am new to woodturning so I am wondering if those are good for turning.

Thanks

John
Green Bay WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-17-2010, 03:34 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Turn away. No problems. If there is a lot of mold I scraper it off or use a hose to get rid of it but I've never had a problem when I didn't. You might be different however so take some precautions. As far as the dead tree. It doesn't matter at all, go for it.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-2010, 08:58 AM

View Old61's Photo Album My Photos
Dead trees, furniture, scrap bin, it is all fair game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Still got all 10

View Gary0855's Photo Album My Photos
Dead stuff is pre-dried for you.... as long as the grain is tight, no checks, and no punk wood. Take a ice pick or something like it and stick the wood. Ash is hard so it shouldn't go in at all. If it is soft, don't try to chuck up on that wood or set your centers in it, it will tear out and become a projectile.
Punky wood will not finish well at all, so make sure you turn it out of the piece.

Maple and Cherry are great woods to turn, nice tight grain, and finish well.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Saw Miller Australia

View MAPLEMAN's Photo Album My Photos
Good job in applying wax to the ends of your logs,this will prevent splitting and checking.Also, there is still lingering moisture in dead logs, as they will take a long time to fully season in the round,although some species will dry out much more readily than others.Seems like you are doing everything right,'ol mate,happy turning
post #6 of 7 Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 PM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old61 View Post
Dead trees, furniture, scrap bin, it is all fair game.

Totally agree.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-04-2010, 07:29 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
John,
you can turn the wood while it's still wet. Either rough turn a bowl, leaving it around 3/4-1" thick, then stick it in a paper shopping bag for a few months. Or turn the bowl thin all in one setting. It will finish drying in a day or two, warping some in the process. Makes for some interesting pieces. I am rough turning 7 walnut bowls one at a time now. My young cousin dropped off a nice section of a walnut tree a couple of weeks ago. I initially sealed both ends with anchorseal. Last week I got out the chainsaw, split it lengthwise slightly off center to get rid of the small pith area in the middle. Then I cut it into 8 pieces, rounded them on the bandsaw and resealed the cut areas with anchorseal. Now I will rough turn them one at a time as I get a chance.
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode