wood for peppermills - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 01-28-2011, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
wood for peppermills

Just wondering... is there any woods out there that AREN'T good for making peppermills out of. I'm going to be making a few that don't need to be pretty, just functional, so I don't need to use nice wood. But I also want to make sure that I'm not using wood that would create a problem for me.

Thanks!
D

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
Ok, so I'll assume that woods like oak or poplar are good... i have some shorts of those that I can use.... anyone disagree?

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
post #3 of 11 Old 01-30-2011, 06:26 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
I don't see why oak would be a problem, but i can see poplar being a bit of a problem because of it's softness. I'm thinking that the steel parts would wear on the wood very quickly. The only wood I have every had a problem with is olive wood. I made a salt mill out of it and the moisture just never seemed to stop coming out of it. It just clogged the salt into a big chunk. The oak sounds like it would be a great idea though.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
DV,
I can't think of any I have had problems with. I have made a few solid poplar ones that actually came out pretty nice. The metal parts don't really rub on the wood. Try getting some pieces of hard maple. Usually you can find some with some figure to them. They will turn out very nice. Cherry is always a good choice. Mix up some maple and cherry, maple and walnut, or cherry and walnut. All will look nice. I haven't turned any oak ones, nothing wrong with that.
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 11 Old 01-31-2011, 03:21 PM

View mike s's Photo Album My Photos
i would avoid yew and olive wood
post #6 of 11 Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 PM
Jooñor

Location: Sometimes in Oregon, sometimes in California, sometimes in Ursa Major
View FatBear's Photo Album My Photos
Hi MikeS, just curious why? I have some of both and don't want to screw up, somehow.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 PM

yew is poisonous so its better to be safe than sorry

olive wood is nice wood but its incredibly oily when wet and when it dries it usually has lots of crack in it, if you have a good piece of olive wood that is dry and crack free then use it, but it would suck if you were nearly finished making your first mill and it broke apart from unpredictable olive
post #8 of 11 Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 PM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
The first mill I made was cherry and purple heart, the second was cherry and walnut, and the one I am working on now is mahogany and paduk. have had no problems yet.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups
post #9 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Jooñor

Location: Sometimes in Oregon, sometimes in California, sometimes in Ursa Major
View FatBear's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks, MikeS. I'll figure some other use for the yew. It's really not very hard, anyway, so I'm not really sure what I'll do with it. I got a 2" slab from the center of a full tree trunk and thought it was a good deal ($10 for a 5' long piece, tapering from about 16" down to 12") but I've just been dragging it around with me for the last 8 years...

The olive is still in growing trees, but I am planning to do some major limbing next fall and can't bear to waste the wood. Maybe I'll just make cutting boards from it. My wife's favorite cheese board is a 1-1/2" thick slab of olive with natural edges and a handle band-sawn into one end.

So what about eucalyptus? Is it food safe? (Maybe I should have started a new "food safe woods" thread?)

--FatBear
post #10 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 04:07 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBear View Post

So what about eucalyptus? Is it food safe? (Maybe I should have started a new "food safe woods" thread?)

--FatBear
Rather than start a new thread, just do a forum search ... the topic has been beat to death.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #11 of 11 Old 02-02-2011, 04:36 PM

could you please post the results of your food safe search on this thread, i would quite like to know how many woods are food safe.
thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode