Wood Lathe Help (beginner) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 05-01-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

View James Haythorne's Photo Album My Photos
Wood Lathe Help (beginner)

I got this wood lathe a while back as a gift from someone that bought it on Ebay, and I was wondering if someone could help me with the following:
1) I can't find any manual to go with it online or otherwise - none came with it
2) I can't figure out how to determine what chuck to buy that will fit it - I've done measurements and either my vernir caliper is out of whack or it just has odd measurements

Thanks in advance guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190425_162705.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	374977  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-01-2019, 02:36 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Haythorne View Post
I got this wood lathe a while back as a gift from someone that bought it on Ebay, and I was wondering if someone could help me with the following:
1) I can't find any manual to go with it online or otherwise - none came with it
2) I can't figure out how to determine what chuck to buy that will fit it - I've done measurements and either my vernir caliper is out of whack or it just has odd measurements

Thanks in advance guys
There isn't much you need to know about a lathe you need a manual for. A chuck isn't model specific. To determine what size chuck all you need to know is the diameter of the shaft and how many threads per inch it is and locate a chuck with those specifications. It appears to be a small hobby lathe so I don't think I would get a very big chuck for it.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-01-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so I think I've got it a little bit figured out. The diameter is 3/4", the tpi I estimate at 10 tpi - the threaded shaft only about 3/4" long with 8 threads on it. Most of the chucks I've glanced at are 1"x8tpi, so it seems I may need an adapter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-01-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Ok, so I think I've got it a little bit figured out. The diameter is 3/4", the tpi I estimate at 10 tpi - the threaded shaft only about 3/4" long with 8 threads on it. Most of the chucks I've glanced at are 1"x8tpi, so it seems I may need an adapter
It's difficult to understand what you are referring to. I think you are wanting a chuck for the drive part of the lathe. If so the dimensions you need would be the diameter and TPI of the headstock spindle.

You are right about the adapter. It would need something like this. https://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworki...TPPZBQAJP1R5CG
Still the lathe is designed for lighter duty work so if you do this be gentle with the lathe with the chuck on it. It could prematurely wear it out or bend the spindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood_Lathe_Parts_Diagram_Labeled.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	374979  

Last edited by Steve Neul; 05-01-2019 at 04:31 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-01-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

That's the exact adapter I was looking at, actually. Would a chuck like this:
PSI Woodworking products CUG3418CC Utility Grip 4 Jaw Lathe Chuck System https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CS30G5K/..._UUGYCbPWY6VEP
be too much for this lathe?
post #6 of 11 Old 05-01-2019, 07:47 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
Several companies sold exact duplicates of that lathe. Even Harbor Freight and Rigid sold that 14 x 40 lathe. The bed is not the most steady, since it is constructed of sheet metal box rails.

I am fairly positive that this discontinued Harbor Freight lathe is the exact same as yours. You can down load a Harbor Freight manual here: http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...7999/67690.pdf

Some of those 14 x 40 lathes are sold as having a 3/4 x 16 spindle thread, and MT1 taper. but most listings give no thread size for the spindle.

Last edited by holtzdreher; 05-01-2019 at 08:00 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-01-2019, 08:27 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
If the lathe takes a #1 MT, you will be limited in accessories. Good luck in finding what you need. The first thing is a credit card with a high limit. Chucks, tools, etc. will cost more than the lathe. AMHIK.
Go to www.woodturner.org for a site that specializes in woodturning. Great site and a bunch of people willing to help in any way...except buy a lathe for you.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.

Last edited by Pineknot_86; 05-01-2019 at 08:30 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-01-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
That's the exact adapter I was looking at, actually. Would a chuck like this:
PSI Woodworking products CUG3418CC Utility Grip 4 Jaw Lathe Chuck System https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01CS30G5K/..._UUGYCbPWY6VEP
be too much for this lathe?
Difficult to put in words. The lathe was designed for attachments for a 3/4" shaft and you are wanting to put attachments for a larger lathe on it. It can be done without damage to that lathe but you would need to be careful not to put a lot of stress on what you are turning.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-01-2019, 11:19 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
If you do, have a 3/4 -10 tpi spindle then this would adapt it to 1" - 8 tpi which is more common to get accessories for.
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LA341018.html

It never hurts to go 1" - 8 tpi as it is common on many lathes so if you upgrade eventually your chucks etc. will work on the new lathe.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #10 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 05:26 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Never guess thread pitch unless youre prepared to waste money being wrong on that guess. Get yourself a thread gauge:
https://www.amazon.com/Deal%E3%80%91...3-858ecba260c7

Something like that. Theyre dirt cheap and pretty common, most automotive stores will have them somewhere and theyre everywhere online. Never underestimate the value of cheap insurance, counting threads by eye is betting with long odds.

Oh, and while youre at the auto store, grab a set of feeler gauges. No reason, those are just another thing that nobody has but everybody should

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #11 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 11:10 AM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
I have no suggestion on manuals or accessories for this lathe but if it is similar to the one holtzdreher posted research what other owners of this lathe have said about it. I have read several reviews of this lathe where the reviewers said because of its sheet metal construction this machine was barely usable at best and downright dangerous at worst.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode