Wood identification - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 08-22-2009, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

View samsay's Photo Album My Photos
Question Wood identification

I need some help identifying a piece of wood I acquired yesterday. The fellow I got it from thought it was African Rosewood and by it's weight, I thought he might be right -- although it did seem awfully dark. I trimmed a small end of the oblique trunk slab and it looks a little like rosewood but the smell is definitely "fishy"!! By that, I mean it definitely smells like fish -- and that is no fluke caused by laying around in someone's boat either! This wood is very dense and has not soaked any thing in -- plus it is very oily! Also, I think it is probably toxic because I had a cut on a finger and when it touched the wood, BAM - I was burning!! Grain is barely visible except in a couple of lighter areas and as I said, it is extremely dense. Turned a pen from it and had great difficulty getting a clear finish because of the oil -- plus, when I drilled it, the drill had to be cleaned four or five times while drilling one piece of the pen blank.
Any ideas out there?
Samsay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-22-2009, 11:32 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Beware of toxicity

Especially when turning since the fine dust is thrown about. If it burned your cut, then what will it do to your lungs? Just a warning until you identify it for sure. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 9 Old 08-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Wood identification

Sounds like a number od woods would fit that discription.I pic would be a BIG help.Also like what has been said,I wouldn't touch it without a GOOD respirator and even though I am pretty much against gloves around a lathe,you may want to consider a pair of turning gloves or those disposable latex gloves when working with it.After rereading your post,I don't think I would want to work with it.Plenty of safe woods out there that will provide you with some beautifull pieces.

God Bless all
Ken Ward
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-23-2009, 12:14 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
By African mahogany do you mean bubinga? Bubinga is not oily and the grain is awfully distinctive, so hard to confuse it with anything else. If by African mahogany you mean etimoe, then that is possibly more likely since the grain on etimore is all over the map (but it's not oily either).

Post pics if you want help.

You might want to check out the site listed below my name.

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Last edited by phinds; 08-23-2009 at 12:16 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Wood identification

I came up with all kinds of exotics that I use,but none of smell like fish to me. sumpin fishy goin on here

God Bless all
Ken Ward
post #6 of 9 Old 08-23-2009, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Thnks for the effort Ken and Paul. If anyone else has ideas, please post them. The fish smell is very real -- and strong and it is definitely VERY oily.
Thanks again
Samsay
post #7 of 9 Old 08-24-2009, 01:21 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Well maybe these will help This link is for identifying wood and then This one is about the toxicity of woods (a must read).
post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2009, 08:07 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Great link richard!

This link goes right to chestnut from that site...wow too many colors, grains, burls to even begin...
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...s/chestnut.htm
Thanks for the link! bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
Well maybe these will help This link is for identifying wood and then This one is about the toxicity of woods (a must read).
Thank you for the link Richard -- and thanks for your service as a United States Marine!!! You have blessed me -- and many others - most who are not aware!! Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode