wood cracking - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

View glennbeasley's Photo Album My Photos
wood cracking

Im new to this forum, Found it by searching a question on how to prevent wood from cracking after I turn it on the lathe, When it sits to dry after a few days. Have tried mineral oil to keep it moist.
I have been using fresh cut wood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
What are you turning? For bowls and hollow forms you need to rough turn them and then dry them in a paper bag and shavings. Finish turning after it has dried. There are other methods as well and others will chime in with more suggestions. For other turning the wood should be dry before you turn it.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #3 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Just got a lathe and started turning bowls, hats and things of that nature. Turned out really good untill cracking developed. I turned some cedar bowls that was really dry wood without a proplem but it beat me up. SO I decided wet wood. I will try your suggestion.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Beasley For This Useful Post:
glennbeasley (11-19-2012)
post #5 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 07:43 PM

View bond3737's Photo Album My Photos
Just a few things adding to bass blaster.
1. rough turn the form so that the thickness is around 1/10 the diameter of the entire piece
2. remove from the lathe as bass said and let it dry in a paper bag. What you are going for here is to SLOW the escape of moisture from the wood
3. Open the bag from time to time and allow some air circulation.
4. if it is a piece of wood prone to cracking put anchorseal over the endgrain to slow the loss of moisture.
5. While it is drying there may be cracking or warping depending on the species moisture content and location of the blank in the tree
6. avoid the pith of the tree and knots... they are the most prone to cracking
7. If you don't want to go through the whole drying process you can turn the entire piece in one go provided that the diameter of the rim is a quarter inch or less.
8. If you decide to turn it all in one go keep in mind that a uniform wall thickness is important. If the wall is not uniform one area will dry faster than another and cracks will occur.
9. While you are turning the wet wood make sure to keep the out side of the piece moist... spray it down with water and throw a bag over it if you have to leave it for even a night.
10. when moving on to sanding it's helpful to have a air compressor. In wood there is what is known as free water and trapped water. The free water will blow right out of the wood if the wood is thin enough. This helps keep the sandpaper unclogged.
Thats about all I got... good luck and happy turnin,
Bond
The Following User Says Thank You to bond3737 For This Useful Post:
glennbeasley (11-19-2012)
post #6 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

you guys are great, that makes alot of sense. the oak bowl I made with the lid started to crack at the base and did not crack at the walls where it was 1/4 inch. The lid was thick and it cracked as well. I noticed that sitting on the table the water from the wood was draining out.

Thanks for the replies.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-19-2012, 11:35 PM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bond3737
Just a few things adding to bass blaster.
1. rough turn the form so that the thickness is around 1/10 the diameter of the entire piece
2. remove from the lathe as bass said and let it dry in a paper bag. What you are going for here is to SLOW the escape of moisture from the wood
3. Open the bag from time to time and allow some air circulation.
4. if it is a piece of wood prone to cracking put anchorseal over the endgrain to slow the loss of moisture.
5. While it is drying there may be cracking or warping depending on the species moisture content and location of the blank in the tree
6. avoid the pith of the tree and knots... they are the most prone to cracking
7. If you don't want to go through the whole drying process you can turn the entire piece in one go provided that the diameter of the rim is a quarter inch or less.
8. If you decide to turn it all in one go keep in mind that a uniform wall thickness is important. If the wall is not uniform one area will dry faster than another and cracks will occur.
9. While you are turning the wet wood make sure to keep the out side of the piece moist... spray it down with water and throw a bag over it if you have to leave it for even a night.
10. when moving on to sanding it's helpful to have a air compressor. In wood there is what is known as free water and trapped water. The free water will blow right out of the wood if the wood is thin enough. This helps keep the sandpaper unclogged.
Thats about all I got... good luck and happy turnin,
Bond
Dang, Bond. You just summarized all written works on green turning in 10 bullet points. You should write for Cliff Notes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode