Wood breaking off while turning pen - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 11-15-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

View coffeetime's Photo Album My Photos
Wood breaking off while turning pen

I really need to use this wood but it breaks off in chunks when I get close to the finish size. I glue them with gorilla glue, pre soak the hole with water. I then let them set at least a day. I did two tonight and both did it. Any ideas how I can get this wood to work. It is a type of oak but not very hard. It turns like pine with hard and soft grains.
TIA

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Oak is hard to turn on a small scale, because of the open grain (hard/soft as you called it) Very sharp tools are key, little bites too. If you are determined to turn this into pens, soak it in CA glue (SuperGlue) and let it dry.
I have had this problem with spalted stock and various open grain materials. For pen turning I use "shop rolls" of different grit sandpaper. I get it close with the tools and finish shaping with 1" wide strips of the sandpaper.
Hope that helps, I am sure some of the other (better ) turners have some tips too.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2007, 04:13 AM

View Crazybear's Photo Album My Photos
Try glueing the chunks back on with CA glue. or if you can get away with it (this works better with highly figured wood)pack the hole with sawdust from the blank you are working on and soak the dust with CA. let it harden then that piece turns like resin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-16-2007, 09:33 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
What tools are you using? I don't have any problems with Oak but I use cutting type tools that are quite sharp. Mostly the skew and spindle gouge for pens and small things. You can get tear out if the grain runs out through the side and you are cutting against it. cut downhill on the grain with sharp tools and you shouldn't have a problem.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Just call me Sir

View littlebuddha's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
Oak is hard to turn on a small scale, because of the open grain (hard/soft as you called it) Very sharp tools are key, little bites too. If you are determined to turn this into pens, soak it in CA glue (SuperGlue) and let it dry.
I have had this problem with spalted stock and various open grain materials. For pen turning I use "shop rolls" of different grit sandpaper. I get it close with the tools and finish shaping with 1" wide strips of the sandpaper.
Hope that helps, I am sure some of the other (better ) turners have some tips too.
Much the same, very sharp tools very light work and superglue soaking, use an activator if you need to work quick. make sure your slide is real close cut down on any tool vibration. LB
post #6 of 7 Old 11-16-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

View coffeetime's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks guys. I glued up the next set tonight so maybe I can get to them tomarrow. I thought my tools where sharp, but I will touch them up before I do this. Think I will stop turning a little large and sand down to finish as I am almost out of this wood.

Mike
post #7 of 7 Old 11-30-2007, 07:36 AM

View bird2740's Photo Album My Photos
Try Castamite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode