Wolverine setup - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 12-25-2010, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Firewood Inquisitor

View sprior's Photo Album My Photos
Wolverine setup

Santa left a Wolverine jig (and skew attachment) under the tree and I've got some questions about setting it up. When putting that on my wish list I also added a 1" wide Norton 150 grit 8" wheel as an upgrade for one of my 3/4" grinding wheels.

1) Some pictures have the the flat grinding platform on the left and the gouge arm on the right and some have them swapped. I see it can be done either way, but is there even the slightest reason why I should prefer one way over the other?

2) My 1750 RPM grinder had 3/4" wide wheels before, I believe one was 120 grit and the other around 60 or 80, so I'm currently planning to use the new 1" 150 grit wheel on the gouge arm (for my skew) and the coarser wheel on the platform for my bowl scrapers. Have I got the right idea or should I be using a different combination of grits?

BTW, Santa also managed to bring a Jet Air Filtration system - I'm sure that was as much fun to get down the chimney as it was to hang it from the rafters this afternoon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-26-2010, 12:40 AM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
I think the right / left question just comes down to what side you feel most comfortable on. One way will probably feel more awkward to you depending if you are right or left handed. The grit comes down to what you are going to sharpen and the type of steel the tools are. Nice score with the Jet definitely worth the hassle
post #3 of 4 Old 12-26-2010, 12:45 AM
4Woodturning

View Jeff4woodturning's Photo Album My Photos
Santa was good to you sounds like you had a great Christmas. i seen the same pics with one on one side the swapped, i think its to show it will work on either side. but with having 2 grits i do all shaping on the 60 grit. once i reach the desired bevel, then i swap to sharpen with the 120 grit and keep using the 120 to re sharpen while turning on all tools. my personal preference is sharpen my skews on a flat 3 sided oil stone like you would planes, i do not care for a hollow grind on my skews. hope this helps you. Jeff

Jeff,

"Just because your not bleeding, don't mean your turning safely"..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-26-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Firewood Inquisitor

View sprior's Photo Album My Photos
I didn't realize before that the two jigs can be trivially swapped so you aren't comitted to which jig is using which grit. Got it all mounted today so it makes more sense now. I've still got a 3/4" width wheel for my coarse wheel, any suggestions for a grit if I upgrade to 1" wide?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode