wolverine jig - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 08-08-2009, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

View jfs477's Photo Album My Photos
wolverine jig

just started turning again after a break to remodel a bathroom and some other things. but, i have definiatly lost some of my skill i havent been able to finish a bowl without messing it up yet since i started again. anyway just wanted to say thanks for the advice on the wolverine jigs a couple months back finally had the chance to go get one and man, what a difference so thank you again!

john

john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-10-2009, 03:32 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
It's an expensive piece of equipment that homemade jigs can easily replace. That being said, I LOVE MINE!!!!
Not a required tool but an asset indeed.
Ken

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #3 of 6 Old 08-10-2009, 08:07 PM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
Ken, I couldn't agree more. Not essential but it sure makes it easier for a hack like me.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-21-2009, 03:53 AM
don't let the name fool u

View lumber jock's Photo Album My Photos
When I got mine out to install it, I was , but I agree with whats everyone said. Just like in the Geico commercials, " so easy a caveman can do it." I was just at the local WoodCraft and they had the Tormek on display. Those things look and feel well built. Anybody out there use them.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2009, 10:55 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
LJ,
I have both the tormek and the wolverine. They each have their plusses and minuses. The wolverine is quick and easy to use. The tormek can take a bit longer depending on what you are doing. If for instance you have a new bowl gouge and you want to change the shape to a fingernail grind, the tormek removes metal slowly and will take awhile. I would do this initially on the wolverine to grind it to shape. Next time I go to sharpen it I would use the tormek to fine tune it. The tormek will leave a much smoother finish, much like a knife edge. For tools like scrapers, I think the wolverine is better to use. The wire edges don't last long and you can give them a quick hit on the wolverine and keep on going. Either one will do the job. They both require a little practice. I think the whole key to sharpening is being able to visualize what the tool should look like when you are done and keep that picture in your mind while sharpening. Don't take off a lot of metal at once. Stop and look at the shape while you are sharpening and make small adjustments if necessary to achieve the proper finish. Good luck, sharp tools are safer to use,
Mike Hawkins
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2009, 02:46 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Mike Good description. I think the visual image of what the tool should look like is a good reference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode