Wife says " get a good one" - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 33 Old 11-04-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

View Wonderwood's Photo Album My Photos
Wife says " get a good one"

Okay..so the wife has told me that this year the tax refund will be mine to spend! I am going to get a new mini lathe. My question is..what is the best out? I see alot about the Jet 1220. Can you tell me what you like, and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-04-2008, 10:29 AM

View LarrySch's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to LarrySch
Wonderwood - I do not have the Jet Lathe - but my neighbor does, and he simply loves it. It is amazing what he had made with it and I thought that the mini lathe was just made for pens. Only seeing the results of his work and knowing that this was his first lathe - I would purchase one in a heart beat!!
look at this video:
http://www.jettools.com/workshop/video5.html

Larry

" have you hugged your pet today"
post #3 of 33 Old 11-04-2008, 12:47 PM

View Ken Johnson's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Jet 1014 VSI. Slightly smaller but the variable speed is very nice. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Look in my gallery and you can see some bowls I turned with my Jet lathe

Ken

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence".
- Samuel Johnson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 11-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
buy a good one

You won't go wrong with any of those.I have a Ricon and the reason that I chose it over Jet was that it has a 12" swing and I love it.It was my 1st lathe and still have it ,plus the Nova 1624-44,plus a little after market one.I have actually cored on it with the Kel McNaughton coring tool,and there service dept is 2nd to none.Plus its cheaper than the others You may want to check it out also.Good luck with what ever you go with.
Ken
post #5 of 33 Old 11-04-2008, 11:11 PM

View RJAngel's Photo Album My Photos
I picked up my 1220 a couple months ago.
It's not the VS model, but, speed change are quite easy.
Very solid and stable.
Makes a nice pile of chips really fast...
The only thing I don't like, is I don't have more time to spend with it

Ron
post #6 of 33 Old 11-04-2008, 11:42 PM

View woodchip's Photo Album My Photos
I have the jet 1014vs. For me the mini is a good machine but the variable was a must. I have a bigger lathe and just got tired of changing the belt to get the speed that i wanted. Ask yourself if you are going to be turning larger bowls or platters over the 10" ( limit of the 1014 ) or if it's as big as you plan on doing. Good luck in your search.
post #7 of 33 Old 11-05-2008, 07:03 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

View firefighteremt153's Photo Album My Photos
Im with Woodsman, I too have the Rikon and love it. I went to woodcraft to buy the Rikon and they had it on sale for 299.00. It's not a v/s, but when you open the door to change the belt, you have access to the entire pully system which in my opinion makes it easier to change the belt. I was going to purchase the Jet but the extra swing over the bed sold me and it was cheaper.

........................www.Jeremydillardwoodworking.com.........................

"Only those who risk going too far, can possibly know how far they can go"
post #8 of 33 Old 11-22-2008, 05:32 PM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
Smile

Wonderwood, I purchased a Jet 1220 about three months ago and I don't regret not one penny of that purchase. It has lived up to all of my expectations. I also considered the Rikon but the Jet has a five year warranty so I chose the Jet. You've probably already purchased your lathe but whichever you have chosen I'm sure you will be happy with either one. Have fun. HLW
post #9 of 33 Old 11-24-2008, 12:38 PM

View johnp's Photo Album My Photos
guess you've got a good wife.. but if that is her attitude, why not a oneway? for the price of a jet plus a grand or so, you've got the best..

jokes aside, i've always recogmended the jet for anyone wanting a smaller lathe
post #10 of 33 Old 12-24-2008, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions, and input. I havent gotten it yet...Im leaning toward the Jet....but with the Jet...can I do anything over 10 inches?
post #11 of 33 Old 12-24-2008, 06:12 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
If you get the 1220, you can do just a tad under 12 inches. I have the 10" jet and could turn bowls up to about 9 1/2". You still need a hint of clearance between the bed and your turning. I also have the 1642 jet, and have turned some 15 1/2" bowls. I can turn bigger if I get an outboard tool rest and slide the headstock down to the end. I think you will be real happy with the 1220, it has a slightly bigger motor than my 10" jet. Get the variable speed if you can. I didn't have it on the smaller jet, but do have it on the larger one. It is a very nice convenience, even though it isn't that hard to change belt positions.
Mike Hawkins
post #12 of 33 Old 12-24-2008, 07:40 PM
rag

View rag's Photo Album My Photos
Before you buy anything, check out the Rikon closely. I used to work at a Woodcraft store and sold these laths. The Jet and Delta are almost identical. The Rikon has better features and price.
I have a Delta only because the owner gave me a price I couldn't turn down. Fact is, I have only made a hand full of pens in the 3 years I've owned it. I have no complaints with it.
post #13 of 33 Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 PM

View Nancy Laird's Photo Album My Photos
Before you buy anything, check out the Steel City VS mini. I have this lathe and it's great. And for just about $250-300, it's the best bargain on the market. It has a 10" swing and 15" between centers, and you would love it. It's currently $249.99 at Woodworker's Supply.

You DO know, however, that the lathe purchase is only the first step. Better take a picture of your money and post it on the wall, because you won't see it again, with all the other stuff you need to buy. Either have deep pockets or a high limit on your credit card. DAMHIKT!!

Nancy

Nancy and Dave Laird
D&N Specialties
Rio Rancho, NM
David works in the Pro Sales Divison at Woodworker's Supply.
post #14 of 33 Old 12-26-2008, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

sounds like the biggest bowls i would beable to make on a mini would be 10 inches? Is this about right?
post #15 of 33 Old 12-26-2008, 06:27 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

View firefighteremt153's Photo Album My Photos
Well if you went with the Rikon, you can turn up to 12". Prob more like 11 3/4 in reality.

........................www.Jeremydillardwoodworking.com.........................

"Only those who risk going too far, can possibly know how far they can go"
post #16 of 33 Old 12-26-2008, 07:51 AM
HLW

View HLW's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

Wonderwood, As I stated before I went with the Jet 1220 because of it's 5 year warranty. You can also turn up to a 11 3/4" bowl. The 1220 has a 3/4 HP motor and the Rikon doesn't. I'm sure the Rikon is a good lathe too. However, if you think you want to turn larger bowls rather than smaller, I would save my bucks and go with a larger lathe. I guess it really comes down to this. How good were you (Santa) to your wife on Christmas? Good luck.
post #17 of 33 Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
wife says get a good one

Like I said I have the Ricon and love it,and it will turn 11" bowls,BUT you are working it,so like was already said,if you want to turn the bigger stuff.I would save up and get something like the Nova 1624.I have that one also I think its around 1,100 right now,but it will turn anything you want to throw on it.
post #18 of 33 Old 12-26-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The woodsman View Post
Like I said I have the Ricon and love it,and it will turn 11" bowls,BUT you are working it,so like was already said,if you want to turn the bigger stuff.I would save up and get something like the Nova 1624.I have that one also I think its around 1,100 right now,but it will turn anything you want to throw on it.
My main thing im going to want to turn..is ens, and small stuff ( pepper mills etc ) However it would be nice to have the option to turn a bowl or plate. Im leaning toward the Jet 1220. I have been looking for youtube video on the ricon...but have yet found anything
post #19 of 33 Old 12-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Admiral

View Admiral's Photo Album My Photos
Two words: Variable speed.
post #20 of 33 Old 12-28-2008, 04:16 PM

View Skip_Evans's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Skip_Evans
Wife says get a good one

GREAT Wife. I am always being asked this same question about personal computers. My stock answer is, spend as much as you can afford. Don't skimp now. Six months from now you will wish you had bought the bigger model and it will be too late. Don't get in a hurry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode