Where to find blanks - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

View Hoyett's Photo Album My Photos
Where to find blanks

I am ready to start turning with all of my new equipment. I just need to find a cheap place for wood blanks to turn. Any suggestions?

Hoyett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 AM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
What are you looking to turn? Spindles? Bowls? Pens?

There are a number of different websites for exotic wood blanks, which can run a fairly high price. If you are just learning you might want to look on ebay, there are a ton of different sized blanks, many of them have even been dried, and the prices seem to be reasonable. The wood is typically what is native to the sellers area, but sometimes you find something exotic.

Otherwise, www.woodturnerscatalog.com has a decent selection at reasonable prices.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
The firewood pile!

Found some nice walnut in there when I started turning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-05-2011, 10:43 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I turn free wood. Let's see, what did it cost me to do that. Chainsaw $350 Extra chain, $20 Sharpening guide and files $24. Gloves, $12 Ear protectors, face shield. Bandsaw, $750 , Extra Blades $8 each. 5 gallons Achorseal $60. Pickup Truck to get the wood, $21,000 (granted that was 230,000 miles ago)
Muscle rub and tylenol, about $12

I do enjoy being able to choose how I want to cut it and tolerate the chiggers and ticks. Then of course you have the macho image of a man with a chainsaw to live up to so you gotta buy the right pants and shirt to go with it.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-05-2011, 12:17 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Firewood was brought up but… how about your local firewood dealer (assuming you don’t have a pile). I have fairly easy access to wood but still work with a firewood dealer. You can get really cheap sections (even split for you) since locally cord only sells for about $85. Take back a bowl and you may get all you need.
If you have a green recycling site in your town, they often have larger sections brought in which they cut.
Have any power lines in your areas? Find out who they hire to do their trimming and where they are working (they typically work year round). Here they only shred limbs 6" or smaller, larger diameters are cut to about 2’ lengths and left for the homeowner to dispose of.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-05-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

I never thought of a local firewood dealer. I actually have one very close to my house I will look into. I looked on ebay as well and bid on a blank as well. Thanks for your assistance once again.

Hoyett
post #7 of 13 Old 05-07-2011, 08:17 AM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyett View Post
I am ready to start turning with all of my new equipment. I just need to find a cheap place for wood blanks to turn. Any suggestions?

Hoyett
Look up "Tree removal service" in the phone book and call them. Most likely they can supply you with all you want. They usually grind it up or haul it to the landfill. They will probally be glad to supply you with what you need.
Don
post #8 of 13 Old 05-07-2011, 10:14 AM

View Whaler's Photo Album My Photos
Think outside the box and don't be afraid to try anything. You don't know what's inside until you turn off the outside.
Here is a desk set I turned from a piece of a common fir 2X6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2X6A.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	24254  

Attached Images

post #9 of 13 Old 05-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Firewood Inquisitor

View sprior's Photo Album My Photos
Last Fall I posted on my local Freecycle list that I was looking for some recently felled logs for bowl turning stock. I got more responses than I could deal with. Still haven't turned more than half the wood I collected.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Spirosí response about Freecycle also reminded me of Craigs List. Check for free wood (normally listed as firewood). Locally to me there are about 20 listings right now (all wood free for the taking) for popular, oak, pecan, hickory, bradford pear, and many unknowns.
From the pictures most appear to be in the 16-24" size.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

I actually found out that my wife's friend back from where she was raised actually runs a tree service. I have some walnut firewood coming tomorrow to see if I could salvage something from it. I also have a 10' maple log coming as well. I don't know the diameter but it's coming, cheaply I might add.

Hoyett
post #12 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 11:05 AM

on the free wood.
Even if the walnut has been split, it should still be a good size for boxes (usually 2-2.5 diameter) and lots of other small items once it dries.
I have some small diameter walnut where the heart wood was only about 4-5"; I just turned the sap wood off, sealed the ends and set it back to dry.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Just makin chips fly

View The woodsman's Photo Album My Photos
Where to find blanks

I don't know how available wood is where your located,but here in Tampa,you can go to the local landfill and pick up some real nice wood,then,like said theres allways a bunch of free stuff on craigs list,But unless your after some special woods,that would be the way to go.

God Bless all
Ken Ward

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode