Where to find 1" bore step pulley?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 01-29-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

View UtahCharley's Photo Album My Photos
Where to find 1" bore step pulley??

So I finally have time to work on my lath project. I'm building a MASSIVE lath from concrete!! I had a machinist make a 1" shaft and I've ordered the pillow blocks to mount it to my head. Now I'm having trouble finding a step pulley with a 1 " bore!!

I hope I didn't screw the pooch on going for the bigger shaft dia.!!
If I can't find one I'll have to make something to be able to change the speeds but I'd hate to have to try to figure it out.

Anyone know where I can find one???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-29-2012, 06:02 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
E Bay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAS53x1-Mask...item45fce1df91

How's that for luck? bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-29-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

View UtahCharley's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks!!! But now I see a problem! I have the shaft mounted on pillow blocks, the shaft is threaded on both ends so one end is for bowls and the other end will be for working between centers. The pulley would mount in the middle of the shaft between the pillow blocks.Now, the problem I just realized (poor planning!!) The step pulley is much to big to fit between the shaft and the base that the pillow blocks will bolt to. So, I would have to cut a big notch out in order to give the pulley clearance under the shaft. If I do that I'm going to reduce the mass of my headstock to a point that I am worried about stability.
I think I'll have to use a single pulley then have it go to an additional step pulley and then to the motor, which has a step pulley already on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 PM

View BigBull's Photo Album My Photos
How much clearance do you need? Can you raise the pillow Block bearings, instead of chopping the headstock? I'm guessing an inch or so would do it.

"Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer, 'Am I worth dying for?'"

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode