What's up with this wood? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
What's up with this wood?

How would y'all characterize this wood: spalted, mineral stained or something else? This was a huge mostly dead limb that recently fell from a 5' + cottonwood. The wood smells awful. Think of the most horrifying restroom you've ever walked into...that's how my shop smells right now! I put a glue block up to the belt sander and hit some old c/a, and welcomed the smell! My wife caught a whiff of me when I walked through the house and gave me a pretty strange look.
It's still on the glue block and wet with Cedarcide. I'll soak it overnight. I'm hopin' that kills the smell and helps with sanding a bit. It was almost impossible to get clean cuts on the outside and hopeless (for me) on the inside. Kinda cool lookin wood though.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 PM

View Bill Bolen's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know about the darkened heartwood but the wood sure sounds and looks like Elm. The drier it gets the more the smell will fade away.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-21-2011, 08:48 PM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
if that thing just recently fell i dont think the wood was nearly dry enough to turn. i think when that bowl dries its gonna crack.
looks nice now though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-22-2011, 08:37 AM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
Might be some type of disease? You'd probably need an arborist to know for sure. Regardless the staining looks neat, very one of a kind.

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidden
Might be some type of disease?
Maybe irritable bowel syndrome. Definitely one of a kind ... I don't have the stomach for a second one.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-22-2011, 05:47 PM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful patterns. A few months ago, I resawed some elm that looked just like that. Haven't checked it in a while, though.

Harrison, at your service!
post #7 of 14 Old 07-22-2011, 07:44 PM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza35 View Post
How would y'all characterize this wood: spalted, mineral stained or something else? This was a huge mostly dead limb that recently fell from a 5' + cottonwood. The wood smells awful. Think of the most horrifying restroom you've ever walked into...that's how my shop smells right now! I put a glue block up to the belt sander and hit some old c/a, and welcomed the smell! My wife caught a whiff of me when I walked through the house and gave me a pretty strange look.
It's still on the glue block and wet with Cedarcide. I'll soak it overnight. I'm hopin' that kills the smell and helps with sanding a bit. It was almost impossible to get clean cuts on the outside and hopeless (for me) on the inside. Kinda cool lookin wood though.
what we call piss elm from around illinois other states has it . Sure smell's tho. I have work with it after the finish it the smell will fad away tho.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-23-2011, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

I found some info about bacterial diseases called "wetwood" and "slime flux" which are common in elms, cottonwood and other species. Sounds like a pretty good description:
"Internally, wetwood is typically characterized by dark brown discolored wood which appears circular in cross section and wet or water-soaked. This wet wood is also characteristically malodorous, much like the normally associated slime flux. "
I also read that cottonwood typically has a bad smell anyway. Just FYI...
post #9 of 14 Old 07-24-2011, 12:54 PM

View fgvanatta's Photo Album My Photos
Looks pretty typical for Cottonwood. There is considerably less smell when the wood is dry.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 PM

Location: Southeastern Illinois, right inside the Shawnee National Forrest
View roberthathaway7's Photo Album My Photos
OH yes cottonwood smells AWFUL. awful. I'll never forget that. Like the south end of a north-bound hog stampede. I was wondering, did that bowl crack like jack warner predicted? Because I thought it might too. Cottonwood is a different beast though so I wonder.. that's one awesome piece though so I hope not
post #11 of 14 Old 12-12-2011, 09:29 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
I think Bonanza35 probably has it right; that definitely doesn't look like a mineral stain to me (but I've been wrong before)

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #12 of 14 Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthathaway7
I was wondering, did that bowl crack like jack warner predicted?
No cracks. It warped a bit but not too much. I just picked it up and gave it a sniff and yep, there's still a faint hint of outhouse 5 months later. No one else would likely notice though.
Attached Images

post #13 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Depending on where that tree grew it will pick up the sent from the ground. Happened to me, cut up a tree that was growing in septic field. I cut it up and smelt like $hit.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #14 of 14 Old 12-13-2011, 08:30 PM

View fixer's Photo Album My Photos
I vote for cotton wood
I had some just like that
wind storm damage
it doesn't turn very friendly
and smells real bad
but it's pretty once it's finished

nice bowl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode