What would you recommend? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 05-18-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
just a dude

View rocklobster's Photo Album My Photos
What would you recommend?

I've only been turning since last Christmas, just pens and spindles. I have a Ridgid lathe (MT1), a 6" face plate, a pen mandrel, and some gouges and skews (no bowl turning gouges/scrapers).

Anyway, I want to turn something besides pens and spindles now, but I will be upgrading to a Nova lathe this summer so I don't want to buy stuff that won't transfer over well or require a costly adapter. The Nova is MT2 and has a different spindle.

What can I get that will allow me to turn something else and easily work with the next lathe? I'd like to keep the budget at about $200 right now. I'd like to turn just about anything else, but I am more interested in small bowls and candle holders.

I'd appreciate any advice on the next purchase.

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-18-2010, 12:01 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
I would say I'm in the same boat experience wise, but I'm not even at the dock yet. (Poor attempt at humor). I've got a couple of bowl gouges already, but if I had to do it over again, I would try one of Thompson's Tools 1/2" V-shaped bowl gouges. My impression from a lot of people on this site is that they are easier to learn with then other gouges. I believe they are reasonably priced by comparison to Sorby or Henry Taylor, etc. Highly rated here on this site. Once I grind mine down in use, it will be the next one I buy. They come unhandled, but that shouldn't be a problem given your experience level.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-18-2010, 01:51 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
Get yourself a nice chuck. You can get one that takes adapters for differing spindle threads. It is pretty much impossible to do bowls without one. Once you have one you won't know how you lived without it. When you change lathes you can simply get a new $25 spindle adapter for the chuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-18-2010, 04:50 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I would agree on both accounts. I love my chucks although I bought the Vicmarc's which are a little over $200. Probably one of the best buys I've done because I use them constantly.
I also agree that the Thompson bowl gouge is a really sweet tool. I don't think it's any easier to use than any other gouge it just holds an edge longer has a good shape to the flute and is priced very reasonable for the quality tool that you get.
Many years ago I purchased a Nova live center. It has several different points that can be swapped out. This is one of the best deals I've invested in as well but then I turn a wide variety of things and actually use all of those centers.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-19-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
just a dude

View rocklobster's Photo Album My Photos
Great ideas, guys. Thanks! I ordered a Barracuda chuck set and I'll look into the recommended gouge next. The chuck seemed to get decent reviews and was in my price range. I think it'll do for a beginner like myself.

I'll post again later with my first project using it (the first one that doesn't get scrapped, anyway).

Rob
post #6 of 10 Old 05-19-2010, 04:43 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
I just love spending other peoples' money! Sounds like a good decision. The barracuda's seem to have a very loyal following and they're priced right. Plus you get an assortment of jaws with them and that's not the case with any other chuck on the market.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 10:40 AM

View Electric_Ute's Photo Album My Photos
This may sound like heresy to some people, but I would recommend buying the cheapest (harbor freight) tools that you can find until you learn how to sharpen. It is a painful experience watching a nice gouge grow shorter and shorter because you aren't grinfding properly. After you learn to grind I would get some better tools.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-26-2010, 08:14 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Ute View Post
This may sound like heresy to some people, but I would recommend buying the cheapest (harbor freight) tools that you can find until you learn how to sharpen. It is a painful experience watching a nice gouge grow shorter and shorter because you aren't grinfding properly. After you learn to grind I would get some better tools.
I don't think it's heresy Ute, but looking at it from the other side of th coin; If you buy a Thompson or other quality tool, you'll learn how to become effecient at sharpening much quicker. You'd be surprised how quick you pick it up when you're grinding away more expensive steel.
I have an old timer friend around the corner from me that belongs to the same woodturning club. He has a lot of exotic wood blanks sitting in his shop, many over ten years. He was under the thought process that he didn't want to attempt to turn one of his good blanks until he felt comfortable doing it. One of the expert turners in our club told him to go home after the meeting, get out the most expensive blank he has, and turn something out of it. He said if you wait until you think you are good enough, you'll never turn much anything. Good advice.
Mike Hawkins
post #9 of 10 Old 07-27-2010, 07:43 AM
sawdust maker

View woody woodturner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Get yourself a nice chuck. You can get one that takes adapters for differing spindle threads. It is pretty much impossible to do bowls without one. Once you have one you won't know how you lived without it. When you change lathes you can simply get a new $25 spindle adapter for the chuck.
a lathe without a chuck is like a boat with one ore

Old wood workers never die thay just get dry rot
post #10 of 10 Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Sydney, Australia

View hughie's Photo Album My Photos
Definitely chucks are the go. I have 5 SN2 and would not be with out them. I run them on three different lathes using adapters.

The idea of having a few cheap tools to practice on is a good one. But better still get your self along to your local turning club and get some first hand, hands on training on how best to sharpen your tools. By doing this you could avoid buying an el cheapo set and put the money into better tools. Most of theses clubs meet often enough to get your tool checked and sharpened on a regular basis. With grinding jig it wont take that long to master sharpening

hughie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode