what to get first - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

View bond3737's Photo Album My Photos
what to get first

I want to slowly build up my inventory in terms of my lathe tool collection. I'm still using all the crappy short handled tools I got free and want to upgrade. As I do so I think it would be wise to buy the best of the best of each tool as I go. So seeing as I do not own a bowl gouge lets start there. Most of the things I turn are medium to large. Who sells the best bowl gouge on the market and what do you all think a good starting out width would be? Whatever it is I want to be sure it will turn deep. Thanks for any input, happy turnin,
Bond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 04:21 PM

View robbiethewood's Photo Album My Photos
if i had the money now i would be buying from this lot
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/products.asp

Last edited by robbiethewood; 04-02-2012 at 04:31 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 04:35 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Me too. I have 3 of the thompson bowl gouges and love them. I have other tools, Henry Taylor, Sorby etc but I really like the thompsons. If you buy them without a handle they are very reasonable for what you get. It is state of the art metal. Doug's handles are also very nice if you do need a handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 04:35 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
+1 to robbie's suggestion. I have a 1/2" Thompson bowl gouge and love it. I have 2 Henry Taylor bowl gouges, 1/2" and 3/8" and I reach for the Thompson first all the time. It holds an edge remarkably longer than the others and I like the component handle that you can weight to your preference. If you search for my bowl a day threads (B.A.D), I used the Thompson bowl gouge, a Sorby heavy round nose scraper and a 1/2" skew only for all those bowls.

I'm about ready to buy a couple of Thompson spindle gouges, just cant decide on size and whether I want one handle or two.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #5 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 04:40 PM

View robbiethewood's Photo Album My Photos
i would love 5/8V Bowl Gouge made from 15V man the ribbons i could make
post #6 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 05:26 PM

Robbie He's got one is you've got the cash. :)
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/tooltype.asp?TYPE=BV
post #7 of 12 Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 AM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
I have the 1/2 inch from the page John linked to. It's a beauty.

Sometimes it's cutting such a nice fat ribbon that my lathe begins to stall and I have to lighten up a tad

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #8 of 12 Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM

View pvechart's Photo Album My Photos
What is the difference between the V and the U shape flute as far as performance and cutting etc...? I have a 3/8" Ellsworth from Crown. Is that a V or a U shape, it's hard to tell it's also made from PM material and holds an edge really good.

Robbie I watched your U-tube on ruffing out bowls and was wondering which gouge you are using. Is that an Ellsworth grind on it or something else? It looks like you are really efficent with it...15 bowls in no time...enjoyed watching it.

Thanks,

Paul
post #9 of 12 Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 AM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvechart
What is the difference between the V and the U shape flute as far as performance and cutting etc...? I have a 3/8" Ellsworth from Crown. Is that a V or a U shape, it's hard to tell it's also made from PM material and holds an edge really good.
I think the Ellsworth is a parabolic flute design so maybe somewhere between a V and U. Someone may correct me on that though.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-03-2012, 11:27 AM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
As to being sure “it will turn deep” you may want to look at a 5/8” US or a 1/2” UK; gives you more meat to reduce vibration and allows more overhang. The angle of the grind will determine how small a radius you can cut going from the sides to the bottom.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #11 of 12 Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 PM

there's almost no diffference between the Ellsworth and Thompson V. I did a study of several different bowl gouges and the grinds on the tips and put it on the AAW site and maybe Woodcentral but I haven't found it yet. I'll try to look later.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-03-2012, 03:45 PM

View Bill Wyko's Photo Album My Photos
I strongly recommend that you do your research on the quality tools. Go to their websites and compair the facts. I did and came up with the Glaser tool line. I own Thompsons, Sorby's Crowns and a few others. The Glasers fit my hand better, they are balanced better, the metal is IMHO the best you'll find and the owner, Paulo is the nicest guy you'll ever meet. Check out www.glaserhitec.com If you were to have all the above tools in your hand, the choice would be obvious in my opinion. I don't even pick up any other tool any more.

A deeper flute means more cutting edge. A shallow flute is usually due to a Mfg using a ball bit to cut the flute. Glaser uses a diamond wheel which is more uniform and makes a deeper flute.

Last edited by Bill Wyko; 04-03-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode