What faceplates do you use ? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-23-2014, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7
View Cousinwill's Photo Album My Photos
What faceplates do you use ?

Hello everyone !! I just purchased a new Jet 1642EVS lathe I haven't had a chance to turn anything on it just yet. I'm looking for advised on which faceplates to purchase. I turn a lot of bowls and prefer faceplates over the chuck method of turning. There are several different brands and a wide range of prices. Easywood tools makes one for about 30.00 while Oneway makes one for about 55.00. My previous lathe was a Shopsmith and I just used the faceplates Shopsmith sold. Any advise would be appreciated
Cousinwill is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 11-24-2014, 08:21 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Baxter, Tennessee
Posts: 3,257
View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
I have some Bestwoodtools faceplates along with a few other things they sell. They only live about 50 miles from me. Good stuff. However I never use a faceplate on my bowls. They are all started between centers and then hollowed using a chuck.
I use the Vicmarc V100. However I also have the ChucksPlus copy and the Grizzly copy of the same chuck. You can get them for $109 for the Griz, $169 for the CHucksPlus and $239 for the Vicmarc. A very good investment. I've turned bowls up to 19" using the standard 2" jaws but I now have much larger jaws (thus the other chucks).
I do use faceplates for larger hollow vessels but seldom do many of those.
john lucas is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 11-24-2014, 10:17 AM
Senior Member
Maylar's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Central Connecticut
Posts: 1,151
View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
I use a 3" faceplate for small bowls all the time. Penn state has them cheap:


You will, however, need a chuck too. A faceplate only lets you turn the bottom side of a bowl.

Dave in CT, USA
Maylar is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of 6 Old 11-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Senior Member
hwebb99's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,883
View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Didn't your lathe come with a faceplate? If you plan to use it a lot i would get a 8 inch steel oneway.
hwebb99 is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 11-24-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7
View Cousinwill's Photo Album My Photos
Yes it came with one 8" faceplate but I was looking to buy a smaller one too
Cousinwill is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 11-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,021
View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
The three inch came with my Nova 1624 lathe and I have found it sufficient for all of my needs. Very stout.
ToolsPlus has it on the bay or their website for $24 and free shipping.


They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
NCPaladin is offline  


Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome