What do you do with most of your turned pieces? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 07-09-2014, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

View scott2107's Photo Album My Photos
What do you do with most of your turned pieces?

Do any of you sell them? If so, how? If not what's stopping you? What else do you do with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-09-2014, 11:52 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I sell at craft shows, farmers markets and holiday bazaars. I also give lots to friends and family.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 12:04 AM

View Bill Boehme's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2107 View Post
Do any of you sell them? If so, how? If not what's stopping you? What else do you do with them?
I'm sure that some of the people here sell their turnings. Some people live to go to arts and crafts shows or other venues and sell stuff. Doing that has absolutely no appeal to me. Woodturning is my hobby so why ruin it by doling something that I hate doing?

What else do I do with them? Well some are good for target practice, some are good for kindling in the fireplace, some I keep, some I donate to worthwhile charities, and the rest I give to friends and relatives who care to have them (maybe they need kindling).

Bill Boehme
My Photo Gallery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 01:13 AM

View Bonanza35's Photo Album My Photos
I've been selling salad bowls at a local farmers market once or twice a month. Like Bill, that sort of thing never appealed to me at all. In fact it goes totally against my personality but my wife was selling handmade toys out there so I gave it a try one terrifying Saturday and decided it was fun. Now I really look forward to it and it gives me a little direction in my turning sessions, and it's only 5 hours out of my weekend. Sales have been paced perfectly with my rate of production (which ain't too fast) and I've met some great folks along the way. I also have hollow forms in a couple of galleries but sales are virtually nonexistent. Either my HFs suck or they aren't in the right galleries. I'll try them in a different market or two before pulling them all and joining Bill at the range.
Of course my friends and family get their share and I always try to make a bowl for someone who helps me score some timber.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 01:46 AM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
mine are sold by word of mouth or at a local gallery. I hate doing craft shows. I also donate stuff to local charity auctions although if you do that don't ask how much they got for it. People around here won't pay much for turnings even to support a charity cause.
Consequently I have lots of turnings all over the house and really do need to find a way to sell them. I like Bill's idea of using them for target practice. A 3" box at 100 yards would be a challenge.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 07:27 AM

View MidKnight's Photo Album My Photos
I've only been turning for 9 months or so, but I've made a lot of "trinkets". Bottle stoppers. Ice cream scoops. The like. I've given most away. However, my boss has asked for a few that she's paid for to give to auctions and family members.

The rest of my stuff is sitting around the house collecting dust.

I like giving my stuff away to people I know will appreciate something hand made. However, the high quality SS stopper and scoop kits can get expensive when you buy lots.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 09:27 AM

View herrwood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
I'm sure that some of the people here sell their turnings. Some people live to go to arts and crafts shows or other venues and sell stuff. Doing that has absolutely no appeal to me. Woodturning is my hobby so why ruin it by doling something that I hate doing?

What else do I do with them? Well some are good for target practice, some are good for kindling in the fireplace, some I keep, some I donate to worthwhile charities, and the rest I give to friends and relatives who care to have them (maybe they need kindling).
Exactly my feelings doing something to make money only takes the fun out of it and this way no pressure. Sometimes you have to take time to smell the flowers or in this case the sawdust
post #8 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 02:40 PM

View Daniel Jechura's Photo Album My Photos
I do sell form time to time, it helps defer the cost of the hobby. I don't get much, never enough to cover the time it takes. Love giving them away as gifts. Love the look when someone get one they where not expecting. Other wise they sit around the house.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
I sell at craft shows, farmers markets and holiday bazaars. I also give lots to friends and family.
Do you sell a lot at the farmer's market? I was always curious about that.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 PM
World's Tallest Midget

View Mort's Photo Album My Photos
I helped out with my son's baseball team this year, so I turned a bunch of miniature bats with their signatures burned into them. They were giveaways, but the wood was free and it was good practice. And the kids loved them.

I don't feel right selling any of my stuff until I get good at it.

I hate signatures.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-11-2014, 12:26 AM

View Lilty's Photo Album My Photos
Mine sit on a shelf in my shop and at times my wife uses them to decorate.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Splinters

View Pauley's Photo Album My Photos
I'm new to turning, so most go into the scrap bin....
post #13 of 16 Old 07-12-2014, 06:34 PM

View cuerodoc's Photo Album My Photos
I either sell'em or gift'em. It's nice to be able to donate to benefit auctions/events. I sell by: word of mouth, local market days, and some off facebook. I'm trying to keep that balance betwixt fun and "work". Once it becomes a job--- then it's not fun. No quotas to meet, have fun at my pace. Is nice though to have an activity that actually contributes to the "budget" It's also nice to have some fancy BBQ wood too!

Dave Hill

Everyday--learning to liberate nice things from ordinary chunks of wood
and I like gnarly wood--outcome is always better than the start.

Last edited by cuerodoc; 07-12-2014 at 06:36 PM.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-12-2014, 07:28 PM

View 44260's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with cuerdoc. I would like to start selling some of my work, but I don't want it to turn into a job because I'm affraid I will lose interest in it. I also have health issues and when I feel good I go work in the shop, when I'm not feeling so good I don't work in the shop so I can't really be tied down to a schedule or quota
post #15 of 16 Old 07-12-2014, 09:46 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
Just give them away now. I did quit turning so many bowls.
One year (about 3 years ago) I loaded up three grocery bags (paper) and took them to the local <$1 store and gave them to kids for presents (probably 30+ of them). I am not PC and ASSUMED kids being taken to the store on Christmas eve day may not be able to afford much for a gift.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
post #16 of 16 Old 07-16-2014, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the awesome replies guys!

Tags
production, sales, woodturning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode