what do i need??? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

View b-stick's Photo Album My Photos
what do i need???

i have a rockwell 10" and i want to start turning some bowls, pots, pens, and some other small things..

what all do i need to get started do this??

im new to the turning world and i have been messing with a few dowel rods from lowes..

all i have right now is a set of turning chisels and a spur chuck..

ive looked at all the different chucks and things but i dont know what is what..

ive looked at the collet things to...what are those for?

thanks

boomer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 03:03 PM

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
to turn bowls you can use the normal centers on the lathe but it is hard. You cant do as good of a job that way but it can be done. You should invest the money in a 4 jaw chuck with the different jaws and a chuck screw. They cost anywhere from about $100 up to over $200 depending on the brand and quality. You could buy a bunch of tools to use that other people tell you to get and realize you dont like using them. So i recammend getting the cheap tools around $20 from PSI and finding the ones you like before spending alot of money. I have many of these tools and really like them.
As for collets I dont really know, Ive never used them or looked into them. Some turners use them alot and like them though.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

View b-stick's Photo Album My Photos
what is a faceplate and is it needed it what i want to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
A face plate mounts on the lathe spindle like a chuck but it has holes in it the you screw the block of wood onto instead of clamping it on a chuck. it can be used to turn bowls and it would work for you. There fairly cheap and usefull to have.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM

View john lucas's Photo Album My Photos
Faceplates area good way to go if don't have money for a chuck. You can screw the wood directly to the faceplate and turn but then you have to allow for the holes from the screws. You either leave extra wood than can be cut away after the bowl is done, or you screw a wasteblock of scrap wood to the faceplate and then glue the good wood to the faceplate. Then you can use a parting tool to cut the bowl off after it's done.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 04:24 PM

View Glidden's Photo Album My Photos
Safety first, you should get a decent face shield, one that is rated for impact from flying chunks of wood. Most of experienced turners will support this since it gives you a lot more protection than just safety glasses.

For a chuck, you can usually find some decent prices on amazon.com, and I can personally vouch for the NOVA midi chuck being a good purchase. You'll definitely want one for doing bowls, and it really expands the options for what and how you can turn stuff on the lathe. Along the line of turning bowls you'll need to get a nice bowl gouge. A round nose scraper is nice to have as well and will serve you well in doing some finishing cuts on a bowl.

For doing pens you'll need a pen mandrel so go ahead and plan on buying one. An upgraded live center for your tailstock is nice, but not necessary. There are a lot of different opinions about what tools to use for pens, I'll let the more dedicated pen turners comment on that.

Sand paper, and lots of it! Good luck!

I want to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers of his car.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 04:54 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
all i have right now is a set of turning chisels and a spur chuck..
What is included in the set? (Many sets don't include a bowl gouge, which is much sturdier than a spindle gouge as well as being ground somewhat differently). Post photos of the business end of each if you are unsure what they are called.

Do you have a grinder for sharpening (white wheel preferred)? And a jig (the one most often cited is the Wolverine jig) to get the same repeatable grind?

You definitely need a facemask (and if you wear prescription glasses like me, a pair of glasses with safety glass and side baffles for those times when you forget to lower the visor of your mask )

Welcome to the vortex ...

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #8 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 05:12 PM

View NCPaladin's Photo Album My Photos
My opinion would be to go slow for a few months. As Big Joe said.. you don’t want to buy a lot of stuff that you will use very little. A faceplate comes with almost every lathe; just do a googel search for “wood lathe faceplate”. They are normally in the 3” to 6” diameter range.
If you can post a picture of your current tools it will help. Most sets do not come with a bowl gouge but do come with almost everything else needed for spindle turning.
You will want a scroll chuck shortly (I’m pretty sure); however, they were only invented for woodwork in the 1980’s. For hundreds of years people turned with faceplates and spurs.
I would think you would not need a collet now but they are nice for certain applications. Basically they grasp the wood but the fit has to be close. Think how the collet in your router grabs the bit, same thing. I’ve been turning for several years and still have not found a real need for them. For other turners they may be a necessity.

Here is a link to a good explanation of “holding” methods. It is about 1.5 hours long and pretty through.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaladin For This Useful Post:
mackem (03-28-2012)
post #9 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 05:48 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
First thing you need is to find a class, club or experienced turner who can mentor you and make sure you do things safely.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #10 of 10 Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 PM
bikeshooter

View bikeshooter's Photo Album My Photos
Some inexpensive pen blanks might help as well.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f23/p...-novice-36730/

"The LORD inhabits the praises of HIS people."

r.i.p. Marco Simoncelli - 10-23-2011

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode