what to do with a bunch of logs... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 05-17-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
what to do with a bunch of logs...

So my dad recently signed a contract to have 40 acres of land forrested and he went up to the property over the weekend to see how it looked. He brought back about 20 cut offs of pine and oak in various diameter and height for me to play with. The wood is very wet, in must have been cut within the last week or so (side note: smells awesome).

So the question is what should I really do with it all? I sealed the end grain to keep it from checking. I'm not sure what the pin is really good for, other then maybe practicing some hollowing. And some pieces look like they will only be good for end grain turning, which I have never done.

Is pine worth making a bowl out of?

Thanks!
Derek

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-19-2010, 10:25 PM

View Charlie Sandall's Photo Album My Photos
I think pine is great. One of my nices bowls was 4 pieces of 2/8 scrape pine some one gave me. I glued the togeather just for something to practice on. They turn out to be one of my best bowls.

Charlie
post #3 of 4 Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 AM

View lightingguru's Photo Album My Photos
If it has a tight grain it is great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-27-2010, 04:11 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know if you figured out yet what to do with your cutoffs so here's my $0.02. I think most people here would say to cut it up now into as many blanks as you can, and then seal them. I know from my own experience with free fire wood that you can get too much at one time to handle, and cutting them up right away is impractical. I like your idea of sealing the logs now until you have time to make blanks. I got some small cherry logs that I didn't do that to. They started cracking from both ends. When I get around to it, I'll just cut off more of each end than I would have had to when fresh. But that's ok, I'll still get a lot of blanks.

Another thought, sometimes when timber is harvested, they don't cut the trees too close to the ground. If you have a chain saw, I'd go out to the 40 acres and see if any of the stumps are tall enough to get some large bowl blanks out of. Saw down the middle of the trunk first, and then cut it off as low to the ground as possible. It'll save you the trouble of splitting it later. Cut off a fresh end on the exposed end and then seal the halves right away. Hope I haven't told you anything you thought of already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode