what causes this? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
learning to turn bowls.

View Foresta Design's Photo Album My Photos
what causes this?

I'm kinda new to turning and all the pen blanks I've made this has happened. I'm going through tubes like crazy. Why is the tube seizing onto the shaft? Any ideas?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 02:21 PM

View davidpensfan87's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foresta Design
I'm kinda new to turning and all the pen blanks I've made this has happened. I'm going through tubes like crazy. Why is the tube seizing onto the shaft? Any ideas?
Is that the end mill that it is doing it on?
post #3 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
learning to turn bowls.

Not sure what you mean by that. I'm trying to ream the hole. Here is a different picture.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120605_143106.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  34.1 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 02:33 PM

Also, what type of glue are you using and how long are you letting it dry?
post #5 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by that. I'm trying to ream the hole. Here is a different picture.
And yes that's the end mill, it's also known as barrel trimmer.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 02:39 PM

When your reaming the blank, is the tube coming loose or is the blank "blowing up"? Is the tube stuck to the shaft?
post #7 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 02:40 PM

View duncsuss's Photo Album My Photos
What are you attempting to do in that photo?

I ask because the only time I ever use the barrel trimmer (a.k.a. end mill) is AFTER the tube has been glued into the pen blank. In that photo, it doesn't look like there is a pen blank.

The purpose of the barrel trimmer is to make the ends of the pen blank perfectly square with respect to the center line of the the pen tube, which might be at an angle compare to the external surfaces of the pen blank (depending on how perfectly you are able to drill the hole to receive the tube.)

Please visit my website, Fruit of the Lathe
post #8 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
learning to turn bowls.

OK so I drill the hole, scuff the tube, apply CA glue to both hole and tube, let sit 30-60 minutes, stick barrel trimmer down said hole, it will slide in and out just fine, turn the drill on and the tube seizes on the barrel trimmer. Pull the trimmer out and out pops the tube. I know the CA glue works because I spent 5 minutes ungluing my fingers after I glued the tubes in. Does that help?
post #9 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
learning to turn bowls.

And yes the tube is stuck to the shaft. Took me 20 minutes to get it off.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foresta Design View Post
OK so I drill the hole, scuff the tube, apply CA glue to both hole and tube, let sit 30-60 minutes, stick barrel trimmer down said hole, it will slide in and out just fine, turn the drill on and the tube seizes on the barrel trimmer. Pull the trimmer out and out pops the tube. I know the CA glue works because I spent 5 minutes ungluing my fingers after I glued the tubes in. Does that help?
Okay.

The CA glue that should hold the tube in the pen blank is not working, but mysteriously works fine at gluing the tube to the barrel trimmer.

How loose is the tube in the hole (before you put any CA near it)? If it's too sloppy, the CA won't cure (like it doesn't cure while it's still in the bottle or running up the spout).

And what kind of CA are you using? (thin is very fast curing, probably not good as it can set while the tube is only halfway into the hole!)

Have you tried CA Accelerator?

Personally, I always use 2-part epoxy glue (not CA) -- it's what I was told to use by the person who taught the class -- and let it fully cure overnight (even though it's rated at "5 minutes").

post #11 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 03:54 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Are you scuffing the tube first? What types of wood have you been using? Again, thin, medium or thick CA?

I use medium but I always let it dry overnight. Always sand the tubes first, I use 150 or 180 grit. Wear disbosable gloves when gluing the tubes, it will save you the time unsticking your fingers.

I did a little how to tutorial on here a while back, not a video but a step by step that you might find helpful.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #12 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
And yes the tube is stuck to the shaft. Took me 20 minutes to get it off.
Then what I think is happening is when the tube is inserted into the blank, the ca glue will congregate at the end of the blank and looks like a little donut. The surface of that "little donut" is dry, but the inside isn't, therefore, ca glue is finding its way into the tube and since it is now a thin layer, it dries enough for the barrel trimmer to pull out the tube, but not enough to allow you to take the tube off. Another theory is that glue got into the tube. I would wipe off any excess ca glue. I would recommend using a two part epoxy. I like epoxy because it dosnt glue your fingers together, it is better for glueing tubes in holes that are a little too big and it flexible enough to absorb the vibrations of turning that can cause some pen blanks to "blow up" on the lathe. If you still want to use ca glue, I would recommend buying some ca glue remover so you can unglue your fingers. Hope this helps,
David.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Also quite likely the shaft of the mill is warming up the tube and melting the CA. If you keep around some carnauba wax to coat the bushings with so the CA doesn't stick, it will also help here to lube the mill shaft and also deter the CA from getting a good bite on it. And definately let the blank cure for a while after glueup so the CA is all set and theres no wet pockets. If it sticks again, hold a flame under the tube, get it hot and it should slide off without too much work.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
learning to turn bowls.

Thanks for all the advice. I think it was a combo of not letting the CA cure long enough, and the mill heating up the CA. Will let it sit longer next time, will also have to find some of that wax. Thanks again for the advice.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 06:19 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Best advise I can give you is stop using CA for glueing tubes and use 2 part epoxy instead. I use Loctite brand 5 minute and havnt had a failure yet. I turn within an hour of glueing tubes most of the time, but sometimes will let them sit overnite, just depends.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #16 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
learning to turn bowls.

I'm gonna have to go buy some. Anything to stop wasting tubes.
post #17 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foresta Design View Post
I'm gonna have to go buy some. Anything to stop wasting tubes.

While you're shopping, grab a box of latex single-use gloves ... I hate trying to wash epoxy glue off my fingers. (Helps when using CA also.)

post #18 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 07:00 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
Is the inside of the tube damaged, or the mill digging into the tube, when you pull the tube off the mill? You could be digging into the tube then shearing the CA glue. CA glue doesn't have a high shear strength if I remember correctly. How are you squaring things up? With a drill press, hand held cordless drill?
post #19 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
learning to turn bowls.

Didn't see where the inside of the tube was damaged but anything is possible. Don't have a drill press so its just a hand drill for now. Been able to make the holes fairly straight sofar. I was able to pass the mill through the tube without binding but after a bit it got hot and I think I was loosing the CA. Gonna try the epoxy and see If that helps.
post #20 of 20 Old 06-05-2012, 09:48 PM

View PhilipCollier's Photo Album My Photos
I have had this happen to me....figured out it was cause i forgot to sand the tube....had to cut the tube off the mill with a dremmel.

To insert the tube into the blank i use a sharpened piece of a deer antler so that the pith grips the inside of the tube about 1/4 inch in when held at angle, then straighten and remove when tube in place....everyonce and awhile i have to sand the excess CA glue off it but it keeps my hands clear of the glue.

Last edited by PhilipCollier; 06-05-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode